• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UCF police says gun owners ‘threat to themselves and others’

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A public humiliation effort should be mounted to have the Good Chief removed from his position.

No, no, no! A thousand times no!

Hammer away at him to provide evidence to back up his claims, and then hammer him continually for not providing the documentation.

"I'm not calling you a liar, Chief, but you keep saying gun owners are a threat to themselves and others without ever showing the proof you have been repeatedly requested to provide."

"Chief, what evidence do you have to support your claim that gun owners are a threat to themselves and others?"

"Chief, can you explain your claim that gun owners are a threat to themselves and others when it is documented that police have more negligent discharges and shoot "innocent bystanders" than lawful gun owners?"

D not force him out of office - make him quit in the face of being shown to be both untruthful and a bigot. Or at least have his superiors terminate him for embarrassing the institution.

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"Chief, can you explain your claim that gun owners are a threat to themselves and others when it is documented that police have more negligent discharges and shoot "innocent bystanders" than lawful gun owners?"

My first thought.

OC for ME

Hammer away at him to provide evidence to back up his claims, and then hammer him continually for not providing the documentation.

"I'm not calling you a liar, Chief, but you keep saying gun owners are a threat to themselves and others without ever showing the proof you have been repeatedly requested to provide."

"Chief, what evidence do you have to support your claim that gun owners are a threat to themselves and others?"

D not force him out of office - make him quit in the face of being shown to be both untruthful and a bigot. Or at least have his superiors terminate him for embarrassing the institution.

stay safe.
From the linked article in the op.
Chief Richard Beary built his argument on “decades of training and law enforcement experience,” saying “an untrained person with a legally owned gun is more of a threat to themselves and others than they are a helper of the law.”

According to Beary, law enforcement officers may be the only citizens with the proper experience to deal with an active shooter situation.

“A concealed weapons permit does not make you a hero. A concealed weapons permit does not teach you how to deal with an active shooter. A concealed weapons permit does not make you a trained law enforcement officer,” he added.
A interview with the Good Chief back in November 2014.
What's the story behind UCF's trauma kits?

In the wake of mass shootings at university campuses elsewhere in the U.S., Beary introduced a concept at UCF adopted from the military. UCF officers are now equipped with special first-aid kits, and they are trained to provide immediate medical care for patients. The goal is to bridge the gap between police arrival and medical-team response. "I can't stop the shooting from happening, but I can reduce the number of victims, and if we've done that, then we've been incredibly successful," Beary said. The trauma kits have been popular, with many schools and police agencies across the country adopting them.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-ucf-police-chief-richard-beary-20141125-story.html
The Good Chief may be able to get to the scene in 3 minutes, in the mean time he demands that a victim on the scene wait 3 minutes for a professional to arrive. Compromise, you go ahead and demand the Good Chief to provide the data that corroborates his claims, while I lampoon him endlessly for his own nitwittery.

OC for ME

From the linked article in the op.A interview with the Good Chief back in November 2014.The Good Chief may be able to get to the scene in 3 minutes, in the mean time he demands that a victim on the scene wait 3 minutes for a professional to arrive. Compromise, you go ahead and demand the Good Chief to provide the data that corroborates his claims, while I lampoon him endlessly for his own nitwittery.
The cherry on top.

UCF officers are now equipped with special first-aid kits, and they are trained to provide immediate medical care for patients. The goal is to bridge the gap between police arrival and medical-team response.
I'll leave it to you to draw the nitwittery that is located in this statement. A hint is underlined.

JoeSparky

Centurion
So the "good" chief is using his vast experience with the 5% UNLAWFUL portion of the community which he regularly is involved with and extrapolates this experience with CRIMINALS to the 95% of the population WHICH HAVE CAUSED HIM NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER? Did I get this right?

ADulay

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me!

AD

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So the "good" chief is using his vast experience with the 5% UNLAWFUL portion of the community which he regularly is involved with and extrapolates this experience with CRIMINALS to the 95% of the population WHICH HAVE CAUSED HIM NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER? Did I get this right?

I demand a cite that it was as high as 5%.

Or are we talking about the percentage of crooked cops? In which case, I still demand a cite, possible for the opposite reason.

Fallschirjmäger

My first thought.
That was my first thought as well. If all my 'training and experience' was based upon years with the local constabulary, I'd probably be leery of anyone carrying a firearm as well.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Or are we talking about the percentage of crooked cops? In which case, I still demand a cite, possible for the opposite reason.
Closest you are going to get to a "cite" for this.....

Percentages were taken from a 'motivational' posting in the LEHI City Police department in Lehi, Ut from the local police chief admonishing those city officers to remember that 95% of their time was spent dealing with only 5% of the population causing problems. I don't know where he got his percentages from but my posting is a 'fair' representation of what was posted on that bulletin board in the PD that I did see with my own eyes several times!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I thought my demand was an obvious rhetorical comment. You exceeded my expectations, sir!

utbagpiper

Banned

This Wiki article pegs the total percentage of US adults under "correctional supervision" as just shy of 3% (almost 1% incarcerated; almost 2% on probation, parole, or some other form of supervision).

The article repeats claims about the number of "non violent" offenders in prison, but I'm reminded that Ponzi schemes and other fraud that steals life savings are "non violent". And long prison terns are probably the only constitutionally permissible penalty appropriate for a guy who steals from old folks so he can avoid real work.

I also note that while many persons in prison have drug issues, very few are drawing prison terms for simple possession and personal use. Dealing, theft, gang violence, or other crimes that may be associated with illicit recreational use will lead to prison terms.

Finally, the popular press reports that as many as 20% of Americans suffer from some form of Mental Health problems each year with "About 5 percent of Americans have suffered from such severe mental illness that it interfered with day-to-day school, work or family."

I'd say that 5% is a pretty safe, round number, for the portion of our population responsible for the vast majority of crime that police have to deal with.

Charles

JoeSparky

Centurion
I thought my demand was an obvious rhetorical comment. You exceeded my expectations, sir!

I am a guy and as a guy I don't do subtle, sarcasm, or rhetorical very well without it be identified as such. Especially, when I am to discern it from text only without any voice tone, facial expression, or gestures to give me a clue.

So, in compliance with a certain forum rule demanding "cites to authority" when one makes certain posts, I provided what I could.... LOL:banana:

Now that I know your comment was not one of a small richard variety.....:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I am a guy and as a guy I don't do subtle, sarcasm, or rhetorical very well without it be identified as such. Especially, when I am to discern it from text only without any voice tone, facial expression, or gestures to give me a clue.

So, in compliance with a certain forum rule demanding "cites to authority" when one makes certain posts, I provided what I could.... LOL:banana:

Now that I know your comment was not one of a small richard variety.....:lol:

I'll need to see a citation to a recognized authority for that. Any woman will do. Especially a wife. :D

davidmcbeth

Banned
The chief is likely a high school graduate. His arguments are that of a high schooler. He's not an expert at all.

Show me ANY incident of a shooting at a school and I'll guess how the cops dealt with it: 1st) make a perimeter
2nd) management makes decisions that insure that their fellow cops are not hurt.

Cops have zero duty to defend or protect citizens ... they do have an obligation to protect other cops.

Like firemen ... management's first priority to to their own department members.

He talks like he's a soldier ... well, your not. He isn't running into a bldg where active shooting is occurring. He wants to go home.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
At first that was funny. Then I remembered you are in Utah, and that made it downright hysterical.
Wasn't going there as I ONLY have 1 wife, but he didnt specify WHO"S wife.

I guess I could have just had him check with HIS wife but I wasn't sure I wanted to be that 'pointed'. LOL

Last edited: