• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS thinks Fl. death penalty is unconsitution but lets a guy fry anyway - nize

countryclubjoe

http://mimesislaw.com/fault-lines/an-especially-brutal-murder/6009

Guy was executed a few days before SCOTUS issued out ruling .. so they knew that the outcome of another case would be and that the executions would be stopped ... but let the state kill the guy anyway.

There was no deadline for them to deny the guy's appeal ... clearly he would be alive today if the court did nothing in his appeal.

Would sentencing someone to death, violate the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the Constitutions VIII amendment?
I think yes!

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Would sentencing someone to death, violate the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the Constitutions VIII amendment?
I think yes!

Only if you ignore obvious, original intent. And ignoring, obvious, original intent is a very bad precedent to set if we want to have our Constitutionally enumerated RKBA respected despite significant changes in firearm (and other weapon) technology.

The black letter language of the 5th amendment, adopted concurrently with the "cruel and unusual" prohibition in Amendment 8, clearly contemplates and permits capital punishment. To wit:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital....crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, ... nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; .... , nor be deprived of life, ...., without due process of law; ....

Unless the framers were so dense as to write one amendment in the bill of rights that clearly permits capital punishment (phrased 3 different ways) with proper due process while writing an outright prohibition on capital punishment in another amendment in that same bill of rights, we must conclude that original intent of the 8th amendment does not prohibit capital punishment.

Looked at in historic context, it is obvious that the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishments was directed not at mere capital punishment, but at deliberately tortuous acts such as drawing and quartering in which a live person was cut across the mid-section and then pulled to pieces by 4 draft horses (or some machine) tied to each of the four limbs, the iron maiden, and other methods intended to inflict maximum pain.

Interestingly, this article at the Federalist Blog argues that the term has nothing to do with actual punishments imposed or how much pain they inflict, but is instead intended to prohibit extra-judicial penalties. Not sure I fully agree with that, but I present it for consideration.

To be clear, there are fine reasons a person may oppose capital punishment including personal "religious" beliefs (whether of a formal church, or simply personal morals), concerns about the state wielding such power, or the risk of imposing an irreversible penalty on an innocent man. I think, however, that it is clear there is not US federal Constitutional prohibition on capital punishment. Which, of course, has zero bearing on whether 5 SCOTUS justices will declare that the US federal Constitution prohibits capital punishment.

Charles

countryclubjoe

http://mimesislaw.com/fault-lines/an-especially-brutal-murder/6009

Guy was executed a few days before SCOTUS issued out ruling .. so they knew that the outcome of another case would be and that the executions would be stopped ... but let the state kill the guy anyway.

There was no deadline for them to deny the guy's appeal ... clearly he would be alive today if the court did nothing in his appeal.

ABSTENTION- The doctrine under which the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal courts choose not to rule on state cases, even when empowered to do so, so as to allow the issue to be decided on the basis of state law.

Regards

CCJ

countryclubjoe

Only if you ignore obvious, original intent. And ignoring, obvious, original intent is a very bad precedent to set if we want to have our Constitutionally enumerated RKBA respected despite significant changes in firearm (and other weapon) technology.

The black letter language of the 5th amendment, adopted concurrently with the "cruel and unusual" prohibition in Amendment 8, clearly contemplates and permits capital punishment. To wit:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital....crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, ... nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; .... , nor be deprived of life, ...., without due process of law; ....

Unless the framers were so dense as to write one amendment in the bill of rights that clearly permits capital punishment (phrased 3 different ways) with proper due process while writing an outright prohibition on capital punishment in another amendment in that same bill of rights, we must conclude that original intent of the 8th amendment does not prohibit capital punishment.

Looked at in historic context, it is obvious that the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishments was directed not at mere capital punishment, but at deliberately tortuous acts such as drawing and quartering in which a live person was cut across the mid-section and then pulled to pieces by 4 draft horses (or some machine) tied to each of the four limbs, the iron maiden, and other methods intended to inflict maximum pain.

Interestingly, this article at the Federalist Blog argues that the term has nothing to do with actual punishments imposed or how much pain they inflict, but is instead intended to prohibit extra-judicial penalties. Not sure I fully agree with that, but I present it for consideration.

To be clear, there are fine reasons a person may oppose capital punishment including personal "religious" beliefs (whether of a formal church, or simply personal morals), concerns about the state wielding such power, or the risk of imposing an irreversible penalty on an innocent man. I think, however, that it is clear there is not US federal Constitutional prohibition on capital punishment. Which, of course, has zero bearing on whether 5 SCOTUS justices will declare that the US federal Constitution prohibits capital punishment.

Charles

Hello Sir, very well said. However many of the provisions of the Constitution are not self-defining and hence have been the objects of considerable judicial interpretation and construction. Various criminal procedural protections found in Amendments Four through Eight immediately spring to mind. What, after all, makes a particular search or seizure "unreasonable"? What is sufficient to establish "probable Cause"? What constitutes ' due process of law" What is a " speedy " trial? What is an "excessive" fine or bail? What is "cruel and unusual punishment"? These constitutional provisions resemble empty vessels into which the United States Supreme Court has had to pour meaning. Hence we have many Constitutional Interpretations.

I enjoy reading your post Charles!

Regards
CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
ABSTENTION- The doctrine under which the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal courts choose not to rule on state cases, even when empowered to do so, so as to allow the issue to be decided on the basis of state law.

Regards

CCJ

SCOTUS was under no pressure to refuse the guy's motion ... if they waited a few days (and they knew that the executions would stop) he'd be alive.

I guess SCOTUS has no morals at all .. duly noted.

countryclubjoe

No, death is very common. So the death penalty is not anywhere near unusual.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

No its not unusual, however if he was not sentenced to death by a jury of his peers, not only would that be unconstitutional, I would argue that the act is unlawful..

My .02

Regards
CCJ