• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan K-12 schools now know what to do with open carriers - let them in!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://thedailynews.cc/2016/01/19/cc-c-implements-open-carry-instructions-for-school-administrators

SNIP

CARSON CITY — If an individual arrives at a Carson City-Crystal school building with a pistol holstered at the hip, administrators will now know what to do — let them in.

But that’s not to say strict restrictions won’t be enforced by those administrators for all visitors of the district, including those who choose to exercise that legal right of carrying a weapon.

Guidelines for school administrators at Carson City-Crystal Area Schools were put into place to allow citizens to legally open carry a pistol throughout the district after Thursday evening’s school board meeting.

Carson City-Crystal Area Schools Superintendent Kevin Murphy speaks about new guidelines for school administrators on the subject of open carry within the school district during Thursday’s school board meeting. — Daily News/Cory Smith

After a year of analyzing, researching and debating all aspects of Michigan’s open carry laws, Superintendent Kevin Murphy said that he will implement administrative guidelines at the recommendation of the board’s Safety Committee.

“In the year that we’ve studied it, we’ve had three occurrences within a year that we’ve had to deal with this situation,” he said. “Now I feel comfortable because we’ve got guidelines and consistency — we’ll know what to do.”

. . .

REPR

I'm still not going to do it. Most schools probably have no idea this is even legal and will call the police and go through all the other bs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm still not going to do it. Most schools probably have no idea this is even legal and will call the police and go through all the other bs.
If everyone were to abdicate their rights........we would have no rights.

Carson City-Crystal Area Schools is taking the RIGHT approach. (pun intended)

DeSchaine

Then it's high time we educated them.

The Michigan AND Federal laws that allow OPENLY carried firearms are not "loopholes," rather it is DESIGNED to allow law abiding people the right to carry and at the same time allow administrators to know that there are armed people on the campus. Why? To allow them to better anticipate issues, but also because people who are WILLING to follow the law and openly carry their firearm even though they have a CPL are not the ones you have to watch out for.

The powers that be need to wake up and face the fact that people bent on causing problems and having ill intent DO NOT ADVERTISE IT! Criminals tend to hide their tools and true purpose. Clebold and Harris didn't just walk in with the guns over their shoulder, carrying propane bombs in their off hands. No, in fact, they went to great lengths to prepare and disguise what they intended to do until the very last minute. The modifications they made to the 12 ga. shotguns they used (illegal in and of itself!) were designed to make them easier to CONCEAL! In EVERY attack of recent note, the arms used were hidden by clothing or bags or whatnot, until the last minute before use.

Open carriers in particular and law abiding gun owners in general are NOT the problem, and never have been. Paranoia, deceit, lack of parenting, and loss of morals in this country ARE now, always have been, and always will be the problem.

OC for ME

This new policy is gunna cost the tax payers a boat load of money. Who knows how many cops are gunna roll up due to a MWAG call. Schools on lockdown, parents getting tweets from twits and then rushing to get their kids. Yepper, this'll be fun to watch when it happens.

Of course, my predicted scenario can be obviated by the cops and only the cops.

Or, better yet, a 911 operator asks the panicky mommy "Well mam, what is the man with the gun doing?" and the panicky mommy yells into her phone "What the eff do you mean 'what is he doing' he has a gun IN THE SCHOOL!...get cops down here right now."

Yeah this is gunna be good...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This new policy is gunna cost the tax payers a boat load of money. Who knows how many cops are gunna roll up due to a MWAG call. Schools on lockdown, parents getting tweets from twits and then rushing to get their kids. Yepper, this'll be fun to watch when it happens.

Of course, my predicted scenario can be obviated by the cops and only the cops.

Or, better yet, a 911 operator asks the panicky mommy "Well mam, what is the man with the gun doing?" and the panicky mommy yells into her phone "What the eff do you mean 'what is he doing' he has a gun IN THE SCHOOL!...get cops down here right now."

Yeah this is gunna be good...
Have you been following OC in schools in Michigan? We've been doing it for a few years. Like OC in general it takes a while for people to get used to it.

Law suit was won by OCer in Clio Schools, and one lost in Ann Arbor. Both are being appealed. When MOC wins in the Court of Appeals, it will be clarified state wide. Just like MOC vs CADL (Library suit). Big win for gun owners and OCers.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Also a few other Michigan Schools have adopted policies like Carson City. A few schools will just go into lock-down to indoctrinate children to fear guns.

DeSchaine

Also a few other Michigan Schools have adopted policies like Carson City. A few schools will just go into lock-down to indoctrinate children to fear guns.

Smart parents take the time to undo that brainwashing. I have an eight year old, and he is learning with BB and paintball guns. In a couple years, I'll be getting him a .22. I'm waiting for the day his mom calls me and throws a fit because he got suspended over mentioning that he shoots with his dad on weekends.

taxman

Banned
I'm waiting for the day his mom calls me and throws a fit because he got suspended over mentioning that he shoots with his dad on weekends.

What do you do on the day she tells you they called the cops on him and the cops detained and searched him without probable cause or parental notice? (I know that's really happened in the past year or so, but not in Michigan to my knowledge)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Smart parents take the time to undo that brainwashing. I have an eight year old, and he is learning with BB and paintball guns. In a couple years, I'll be getting him a .22. I'm waiting for the day his mom calls me and throws a fit because he got suspended over mentioning that he shoots with his dad on weekends.

Maybe the school administrator did not hear the word "with" in the sentence ?