• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a gun openly in public, hmmm.... could I run into some problems?

flwolf

As much as I favor the ability to carry a gun openly and I do hope that OC will become lawful, but I can also see possible problems with it. People are not used to seeing others with a handgun at their hip, unless it's a Cop in uniform. There are plenty of anti-gun people out there and some will most likely hassle you, question you, cussing you out, or worse, get physical. And if one starts this in a public place, others will chime in and you could be facing a whole group of anti-gun or anti-open carry people making you the bad guy. So, what are you going to do, shoot them?

There's also the other possibility that primitive jerks carry a gun and won't hesitate to use it, because their limited IQ won't let them see the consequences of shooting someone while enraged or drugged. You could be the victime, or someone you love. My step daughter was shot in the leg by some unknown shooter in 08 while Christmas shopping... The perp was never caught.

Maybe out in a country town it's not so 'delicate' to wear a gun openly, but in a city? I'm not so sure that I would walk into a Costco, or a restaurant, or any other public place with a gun at my side. These are just my thoughts and I may be wrong. By the way, there is one thing I have always been wondering about: Wouldn't a Cop rather see and know that someone has a gun, than suddenly be surprised by one being pulled from a hidden spot? I think, I would!

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Most of us carry will little to know issue.

Do research, read your state laws, read your costco membership agreement (no carrying in costco), find out if in your state gun buster signs hold any weight of law.

Be friendly when you OC. If you are mobbed, know you self defense laws.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

solus

As much as I favor the ability to carry a gun openly and I do hope that OC will become lawful, but I can also see possible problems with it. People are not used to seeing others with a handgun at their hip, unless it's a Cop in uniform. There are plenty of anti-gun people out there and some will most likely hassle you, question you, cussing you out, or worse, get physical. And if one starts this in a public place, others will chime in and you could be facing a whole group of anti-gun or anti-open carry people making you the bad guy. So, what are you going to do, shoot them?

There's also the other possibility that primitive jerks carry a gun and won't hesitate to use it, because their limited IQ won't let them see the consequences of shooting someone while enraged or drugged. You could be the victime, or someone you love. My step daughter was shot in the leg by some unknown shooter in 08 while Christmas shopping... The perp was never caught.

Maybe out in a country town it's not so 'delicate' to wear a gun openly, but in a city? I'm not so sure that I would walk into a Costco, or a restaurant, or any other public place with a gun at my side. These are just my thoughts and I may be wrong. By the way, there is one thing I have always been wondering about: Wouldn't a Cop rather see and know that someone has a gun, than suddenly be surprised by one being pulled from a hidden spot? I think, I would!

ppl weren't used to horseless carriages and the drivers got hassled, questioned, cussed out and so forth...

those primitive jerks are called bad guys...

can't walk into costco w/any firearm...against the private property's policy(ies) (unless you consider yourself privileged and CC sloppily against their wishes)

no, you are not wrong to be concerned...think back to the first time you took drivers ed...you have all the moves down pat...same mentality!!

can't speak for a nice LE and their surprises...their mental facilities are one of wonder, even to their own blue brothers. (doesn't have to be from a hidden spot the nice singular LE shot the lad in chicago 16+ times in the back in the middle of the street or the two nice LEs in cleveland took out the 9yo ~ hidden no.. )

ipse

ps: welcome to the site...

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Speaking for myself and where I live, it's not a problem. In a city of 75k, and attending metro area of 325k+, it has not been an issue for me at all. I shop, fill up my truck, go to my sons football games, eat in local places... all with my sidearm plainly visible on my hip, or sometimes on my thigh in a leg holster. I have had very few issues anywhere, and most of the things that do happen are positive in nature.

Physical or group incidents with anti's have happened, and some of the stories are posted in the forum here, but are few and far between. Mostly they complain in the media, call the cops, etc., because they're

Now, as a point of fact, Costco has a corporate policy AGAINST firearms, CC or OC, so you cant carry there anyways. Hence why I don't shop there.

OC for ME

Grab a fishing pole and head on down to the water. You'll find out quick enough I suspect. Make sure to have a few friends along with recording devices (video) running. Should be a uneventful day...then again, ya never know.

solus

Grab a fishing pole and head on down to the water. You'll find out quick enough I suspect. Make sure to have a few friends along with recording devices (video) running. Should be a uneventful day...then again, ya never know.

might have a nice FL LE sneak up on you and try and take your firearm...as reported here as well as http://www.guns.com/2015/06/18/tampa-police-backpedal-on-open-carry-incident/

hummm, wonder what the nice FL carry did w/the 4k their go fund me collected?

ipse

Last edited:

qednick

Welcome to the forum flwolf. I'm suspecting FL would get the same "privileged" OC that we got in TX and OK. You only have to look to those two states to see just how much of a non-issue it has been. Previous responders were correct...you are reading far too much into the anti-gun anti-carry media hysteria.

I live in Bandera, TX--affectionately known as "cowboy capital of the world". Yet I work in liberal San Antonio, which, last I knew, was the 8th largest city in the union. I have had no issues whatsoever in either place. In fact, the only real interactions/experiences I've had so far have been super positive. I really can't see FL being that much different.

ADulay

There are plenty of anti-gun people out there and some will most likely hassle you, question you, cussing you out, or worse, get physical. And if one starts this in a public place, others will chime in and you could be facing a whole group of anti-gun or anti-open carry people making you the bad guy. So, what are you going to do, shoot them?

This simply does not happen, at least not with me here in Florida on a daily basis open carrying.

Of the people who actually come up and ask a question or talk to you, 99.9% of them are really interested in the law, want to know if they can do it and overall, they approve.

There have been a few who will not believe what you say to them about the law and run off looking for the nearest sheriff. This has happened to us a few times on Fort Myers Beach. Not a problem. Never heard back from the guy.

And one "northern attitude" older lady who simply could not stand the sight of a gun. Period. Three police officers and two park workers had to attempt to convince her that I was just fine fishing at the pier about 100 yards away from her! Those people are out there.

No need to argue or try to explain much. Just tell them it's legal and go about your business. They can embarass themselves with the local PD when the call it in.

I've been daily open carrying in Florida for 5 years now. Mostly to fish and/or shoot. I'm out in the open on a motorcycle so I'm literally out in plain sight. I will admit I was a bit apprehensive when I first started, but with experience comes confidence. I no longer worry about passing a PD cruiser on the road or rolling up next to one at a stop light.

The bottom line is that it is a non-event as most people don't even notice, even at the beach!

I've had many people ask me if I'm law enforcement. I just tell them no, just a fisherman. They either "get it" or they attempt to tell me that I'm breaking the law. They eventually go away and eventually find out the truth.

For the record I have never had anyone hassle, threaten or get physical with me or anyone I've OC'ed with. Most people are curious and the ones with any back bone will walk up and talk with you about it. Of course most have never heard of fs790.25 until I mention it to them and explain the "odd" laws/statutes in Florida.

Also remember that although Virginia has cancelled our conceal carry privilege in their state, you can still Open Carry there! Funny how that works.

AD

Fallschirjmäger

I would caution anyone that Despite the Florida law saying that it's okay to legally open carry a loaded firearm while engaged in, or going to and from, Fishing, Hunting, and Camping that the perception by LE is that open carry is prima facie illegal. Carry a fishing rod in downtown Orlando and you're not really going to fool anyone.

utbagpiper

Banned
read your costco membership agreement (no carrying in costco),

can't walk into costco w/any firearm...against the private property's policy(ies) (unless you consider yourself privileged and CC sloppily against their wishes)

Costco has a corporate policy AGAINST firearms, CC or OC, so you cant carry there anyways.

What exactly are the consequences for carry into Costco? More or less severe that blatantly letting a non-Costco member buy stuff on your membership?

I'm pretty sure the consequences are State specific, rather than being uniform across the nation.

In my State, business policies against guns carry no force of law. This is true even if a gun buster sign is posted. Lacking a sign, but having some policy buried in the fine print on a membership agreement?

If Costco actually wants to enforce a gun ban, there is zero evidence of that in Utah. Nobody checks for guns. And whether a gun is OCd, CCd, or casually concealed, doesn't seem to make much difference to any of the customers or employees at my local Costco.

One is well advised to stay within the law. If gun buster signs have force of law, obey them. If contracts or other privately policies have force of law, obey them. Respect other legally defined off limits locations. Obey the law.

Beyond that, I think a man's home and church deserve the highest regard and respect for policies and wishes.

As for a business open to the public? I give as much respect to the wishes of hoblophobic corporate execs or lawyers as liberals give to the wishes of Christian bakers and wedding photographers. Actually, I give more. I don't intend to sue anyone if they actually bother to notice my gun and ask me to leave their business. But neither do I feel the slightest compulsion to start stripping down lest my gun, or my T-shirt, or anything else I'm wearing might offend the sensibilities of some corporate lawyer who has probably never set foot in my State.

For the OP and our new member, Welcome. Spend some time reading the forum, getting informed of the laws in your area, and then make your decision. You might note that despite the national nature of the forum and the fairly large number of members who make a habit of OCing on a regular basis, there are really relatively few bad experiences posted here. That should be a fairly powerful answer to your question.

Charles

Last edited: