• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going on a Cruise

utbagpiper

Banned
I do not know about that port but what I do when have to enter ports and military bases all over the country is check my gun in at a local gun shop. I have found most are glad to do it; I just call them ahead of time and ask, some will charge you $5 to $10 dollars

Does the gun shop have to run a background check before returning the gun to you? And if so, how does this work if you are out of your home State?

You said you do it all over the country, so it sounds like it works ok. Just looking for some details.

This is a really good idea.

Thanks.

Charles

1970roaddog

Does the gun shop have to run a background check before returning the gun to you? And if so, how does this work if you are out of your home State?

You said you do it all over the country, so it sounds like it works ok. Just looking for some details.

This is a really good idea.

Thanks.

Charles
They have never run a background check. a few have call the serial number in to verify it is not stolen. I have found a lot of the gun shops around bases and ports have gun lockers to hold guns, I have always call the base or port first to let them know why I am coming in and that I have a firearm and if they know of a gun shop that will hold my gun, most the time they do if not a start making calls starting with the closest to the base. Some will ask you to provide a locking gun box also

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

solus

They have never run a background check. a few have call the serial number in to verify it is not stolen. I have found a lot of the gun shops around bases and ports have gun lockers to hold guns, I have always call the base or port first to let them know why I am coming in and that I have a firearm and if they know of a gun shop that will hold my gun, most the time they do if not a start making calls starting with the closest to the base. Some will ask you to provide a locking gun box also

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

theoretically, they should treat the firearm as one coming in for service and therefore must log the firearm in their A/D book by S/N etc., (of course, except for McBeth who never ever did that when he was a FFL in days of yore) and give the patron a claim ticket to assure there is no liability issue. this precludes the need for a background check according to BATF.

ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

theoretically, they should treat the firearm as one coming in for service and therefore must log the firearm in their A/D book by S/N etc., (of course, except for McBeth who never ever did that when he was a FFL in days of yore) and give the patron a claim ticket to assure there is no liability issue. this precludes the need for a background check according to BATF.

ipse
Not quite accurate. DM does not own a gun that he has not manufactured at home, himself, and as such, according to DM, a serial number is not on any of his untold number of guns. It really make life easier, cops can't run a serial number that does not exist even if the violate the his "no contact" order. DM has it all figured out...except posting the video/audio recordings of his much publicized exploits. Still waiting for those I am.

solus

Not quite accurate. DM does not own a gun that he has not manufactured at home, himself, and as such, according to DM, a serial number is not on any of his untold number of guns. It really make life easier, cops can't run a serial number that does not exist even if the violate the his "no contact" order. DM has it all figured out...except posting the video/audio recordings of his much publicized exploits. Still waiting for those I am.

and DM is able to leap piles of dog du du in a half a hop...

i'm sticking to my tale from my source...

ipse

Mas49.56

Before you pull into the port, fedex the pistol to the local fedex place and call them with the date you will pick it up. Label it "machine parts". I have never tried this. It's all I can think of doing at the moment.

Walther

Interesting thread.

I know I'm a little late to this thread but the OP said it would be a few weeks. One thought that came to mind was a bank safety deposit box. That is if you are there when the bank is open and not on a weekend.

HPmatt

Take it to a pawn shop and pawn it. They will protect it for you. Won't cost much either. Like the joke about the guy pawning his Rolls Royce in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Take it to a pawn shop and pawn it. They will protect it for you. Won't cost much either. Like the joke about the guy pawning his Rolls Royce in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might have to background check to get it back though.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Take it to a gun shop,,

Ask them to Clean it ,, for a minute...
Their should Not be a BG check for servicing..

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Take it to a gun shop,,

Ask them to Clean it ,, for a minute...
Their should Not be a BG check for servicing..

I don't know FL's laws, but if it stays overnight, even a gunsmith-only FFL has to put it in the book. And once it's in the book...

notalawyer

I don't know FL's laws, but if it stays overnight, even a gunsmith-only FFL has to put it in the book. And once it's in the book...
They just log it as returned to the individual it was received from.

Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]

davidmcbeth

Banned
and DM is able to leap piles of dog du du in a half a hop...

i'm sticking to my tale from my source...

ipse

You guys .. gave me a good laugh today. Really though..build you own guns is my advice...or, put on many numbers onto your guns so the po po gets confused.

Last edited: