• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns = No Business": Business Cards for Texans

CrossFire

The Minyard's in Irving has some gun busters signs up now. I guess I will have to tell them their signs are illegal and give them a card.

stealthyeliminator

If you tell them anything I would say "the [gunbuster] sign is not legally binding." The [gunbuster] sign is not "illegal" as in there is no law against them putting up the sign.

CrossFire

If you tell them anything I would say "the [gunbuster] sign is not legally binding." The [gunbuster] sign is not "illegal" as in there is no law against them putting up the sign.

That's what I meant. I was going to tell them it has no weight in law. On thinking about it all it really boils down to is that when I shop there, which is not often, I will just cover up. The only reason that I even go there is that they have a brand of salt-free potato chips that I like.

stealthyeliminator

That's what I meant. I was going to tell them it has no weight in law. On thinking about it all it really boils down to is that when I shop there, which is not often, I will just cover up. The only reason that I even go there is that they have a brand of salt-free potato chips that I like.

I figured that's what you meant, sorry to be pedantic ;)

The only reason I said anything is because I think that there have been people going around to businesses implying that they are legally required to post 30.07/30.06 signs, so I think we just need to be careful to not give any businesses the impression that they may be doing something illegal by not having the proper signs, to help avoid confusion in case they are lied to by the antis.

CrossFire

No worries, like I said I will just cover up when I have to go there and let them live in there little fantasy world until some punk comes along and shows them what the real world is all about.

qednick

You know, maybe it would be best to not even mention anything about the signs not being posted according to legal specifications. You could simply state your disdain for the "signs" and give/hand them a NG=NB card--maybe they'll take them down. If they don't take them down, at least if someone unwittingly enters OC'ing they can argue that the signs are not posted properly thereby giving them an affirmative defense against a ticket?

solus

You know, maybe it would be best to not even mention anything about the signs not being posted according to legal specifications. You could simply state your disdain for the "signs" and give/hand them a NG=NB card--maybe they'll take them down. If they don't take them down, at least if someone unwittingly enters OC'ing they can argue that the signs are not posted properly thereby giving them an affirmative defense against a ticket?

uh, now you have caught on...or at least catching on...

ipse

Rusty Young Man

Gentlemen, if we could please not give the antis any more cannon fodder. We are united in the same cause, our approaches are just a bit different, as are we (as individuals).

qednick, good job with the cards.

Today at Taco Cabana (I was CCing since I was working):
1f0c1c2342b1cf58977c255c3364a68d.jpg

The problem is that concealing makes far more sense that leaving a weapon vulnerable to theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Out of respect for all of our guests, we respectfully request that guests kindly conceal their [homosexuality], secure [it] in their vehicles or leave [it] at home while they are dining in our restaurants. Thank you for your cooperation." - Someone Else

Last edited:

solus

Gimme a few while I try and think of some funny quip to come back at you with that won't eventually turn into a wall of asterisks :rolleyes:

it has been the mantra for quite awhile on this forum...

do not advise shopkeeper to put up signs if they kick you out for your sidearm nor tell them their bloody signs are not appropriate against the statute(S)...

rocket science...

ipse

edited...that funny enough for ya'll?

Last edited:

solus

Gentlemen, if we could please not give the antis any more cannon fodder. We are united in the same cause, our approaches are just a bit different, as are we (as individuals).

"Out of respect for all of our guests, we respectfully request that guests kindly conceal their [xxxxxxxxxxxx], secure [it] in their vehicles or leave [it] at home while they are dining in our restaurants. Thank you for your cooperation." - Someone Else

oh wait, that was an attempt at humor...poor taste...!!

ipse

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

"Out of respect for all of our guests, we respectfully request that guests kindly conceal their [homosexuality], secure [it] in their vehicles or leave [it] at home while they are dining in our restaurants. Thank you for your cooperation." - Someone Else

oh wait, that was an attempt at humor...poor taste...!!

ipse

Banning Lawfully-Armed Citizens who choose to Openly Carry their sidearms and banning homosexuals who choose to openly display their homosexuality (i.e. not "in the closet"): The former is encouraged to the point of threats and the latter is discouraged to the point of threats, both actions of "progressives".

So no, not humour. Analogy.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

it has been the mantra for quite awhile on this forum...

do not advise shopkeeper to put up signs if they kick you out for your sidearm nor tell them their bloody signs are not appropriate against the statute(S)...

rocket science...

ipse

edited...that funny enough for ya'll?

Such matters/details can be discussed resorting to insults. Again, I am not your enemy, nor is qednick.

Both approaches of not mentioning signs and the handing out of "No guns = No $" have their merits. Indeed, the best approach may be to do both (and add the establishment to the list of anti-gun businesses on FriendorFoe).

Last edited:

solus

Banning Lawfully-Armed Citizens who choose to Openly Carry their sidearms and banning homosexuals who choose to openly display their homosexuality (i.e. not "in the closet"): The former is encouraged to the point of threats and the latter is discouraged to the point of threats, both actions of "progressives".

So no, not humour. Analogy.

change your wording to Christians...another good analogy

ipse

Rusty Young Man

change your wording to Christians...another good analogy

ipse

Correct. Other good examples are Protestants, Irish, Gypsies, Native Americans, African Americans, Indigenous peoples, Japanese, Jews, Homosexuals, Catholics, Christians, Muslims, etc. Collectively: "Historically undesirable group of people" HUGoP.

Various HUGoPs throughout history, and I fear there are many more yet to come you and I will not witness. That is a bit much to type out each time, though. I mention one specific group depending on what has been on my mind recently. Last week it was Indigenous people.

I've posted on the matter before, and I have discussed this with members on here before. You were one of them, IIRC.

Perhaps these examples could also be placed on "No guns = No $" cards, or a card made with a link to a web page with such an example.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

Denny's at 1422 Hwy 6 in Sugarland is posted both .06 and .07 signage when I went there Sunday night 1/31. When I saw them, I got back in my car and went to IHOP, no signs there. After eating, I took my receipt back to the Denny's and asked to speak to the manager on duty. I told him that his signs cost not only my small amount of business but also any of my friends (and anyone on here that lives in the area) future patronage. I also went to the Denny's website and entered the following complaint.

Just wanted to let you know I respected your posting of Texas Penal Code 30.06 & 30.07 and took by business elsewhere. There is an IHOP location literally around the corner that seems to not have a problem with paying customers. Are you doing so well you don't need my patronage? By the way, your location had approximately 8 customers at the time whereas the IHOP had about 30. I do plan on letting all my friends who are CHL/LTC holders know that they should cease frequenting your establishment.
Texas has had concealed carry for more than 20 years and currently has about 950,000 licencees. We are by far more law abiding than even Law Enforcement Officers. Several of the offences that will result in revocation of a CHL/LTC are allowed for LEOs! Finally, Webster defines criminal as 'one who disobeys laws.' Do you think that someone bent on robbery (or God forbid, worse) would be deterred for one second by a sign? As a matter of fact, those signs scream "Come on in. Nobody here can defend themselves."
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that you will seriously contemplate the matter.

Here is the reply I received.

As a family restaurant business, we politely and respectfully request that guests, other than those in law enforcement, elect not to bring firearms into our restaurants because the open display of firearms may be unsettling to many of our families.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter
Sincerely,

Sedricka Herbert
Customer Service
800-733-6697

If that is going to be their attitude on the matter, I've got no problem NEVER going back there again!

stealthyeliminator

FWIW, I agree...

For clarification's sake, I wasn't really trying to condone one "tactic" over the other, just wanted to make sure that if someone did decide to speak to the store owner about it, to make sure they are at least accurate with what they say.

stealthyeliminator

Denny's at 1422 Hwy 6 in Sugarland is posted both .06 and .07 signage when I went there Sunday night 1/31. When I saw them, I got back in my car and went to IHOP, no signs there. After eating, I took my receipt back to the Denny's and asked to speak to the manager on duty. I told him that his signs cost not only my small amount of business but also any of my friends (and anyone on here that lives in the area) future patronage. I also went to the Denny's website and entered the following complaint.

Just wanted to let you know I respected your posting of Texas Penal Code 30.06 & 30.07 and took by business elsewhere. There is an IHOP location literally around the corner that seems to not have a problem with paying customers. Are you doing so well you don't need my patronage? By the way, your location had approximately 8 customers at the time whereas the IHOP had about 30. I do plan on letting all my friends who are CHL/LTC holders know that they should cease frequenting your establishment.
Texas has had concealed carry for more than 20 years and currently has about 950,000 licencees. We are by far more law abiding than even Law Enforcement Officers. Several of the offences that will result in revocation of a CHL/LTC are allowed for LEOs! Finally, Webster defines criminal as 'one who disobeys laws.' Do you think that someone bent on robbery (or God forbid, worse) would be deterred for one second by a sign? As a matter of fact, those signs scream "Come on in. Nobody here can defend themselves."
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that you will seriously contemplate the matter.

Here is the reply I received.

As a family restaurant business, we politely and respectfully request that guests, other than those in law enforcement, elect not to bring firearms into our restaurants because the open display of firearms may be unsettling to many of our families.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter
Sincerely,

Sedricka Herbert
Customer Service
800-733-6697

If that is going to be their attitude on the matter, I've got no problem NEVER going back there again!

They obviously had an issue with the contemplation part since they speak only of open carry, yet posted 30.06, and interestingly phrase their outright prohibition as "politely and respectfully request that guests elect not to..." lol

Unless you consider deceitful contriving as contemplation, in which case they probably contemplated just fine.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Lot of crime down there in Sugarland - understand that was Tom DeLay's district - the Exterminator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qednick

I also saw a Denny's posted on the 30.06 notifications--so they made my **** list along with Jim's Diners here in San Antonio. Both will be getting a letter and NG=NB card but this time I will be including a print out of the news article on the Sugarland convenience store that got robbed one week after posting 30.06/30.07 signs.

The more of us that let them know, the more they will reconsider their positions.

BTW, I also still need to know which WalMart in NW San Antonio posted the 30.07 so that I can contact the regional manager about it. I can't do that until I know which WM it was. Does anyone know?