Thread: Constitutional Knife carry comes to Wisconsin ?

Constitutional Knife carry comes to Wisconsin ?

Constitutional Knife carry comes to Wisconsin passes and goes to governors desk.

Full story at the link

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/201...consin-on.html

Knife rights is having a good year. In Wisconsin, a reform bill to de-criminalize switchblades for concealed carry permit holders and police was determined to be an insufficient by the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety. A strengthened reform bill, to include knife preemption and decriminalization for the State, was written and passed as a substitute amendment, by a bi-partisan vote of 8-2. The bill was passed by the full House on 27 October.

The bill number is AB 142. Yesterday, 20 January, the Senate passed the bill by unanimous voice vote. It is likely that Governor Walker will sign the bill. It brings Wisconsin knife law in line with the Wisconsin Constitution. Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution reads:

It is hard to see that a restriction on the carry of knives could withstand scrutiny under such a clear statement of an enumerated right. Here are the major provisions of the bill, From the Wisconsin Legislative Council summary:
    • Repeals the switchblade prohibition. Includes knives under the law that currently generally prohibits political subdivisions from enacting ordinances or adopting resolutions that regulate firearms and are more stringent than state law.
    •Provides that a person may not be in violation of, or charged with a violation of, the disorderly conduct statute or an ordinance relating to disorderly conduct for carryin or going armed with a knife, without regard to whether the knife is concealed or openly carried, unless other facts and circumstances apply that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person.
    •Allows a person to carry any concealed knife unless the person is prohibited under state law from possessing a firearm.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-22-2016 at 04:33 AM. Reason: amended title to add "knife"
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab142

Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
    Current law generally prohibits a person from manufacturing, selling,
    transporting, purchasing, or possessing a switchblade knife. This bill excludes from
    the definition of switchblade knife a knife with closure-biased springs that require
    physical force to be applied to the blade in order to open the knife. This bill exempts
    from the prohibition qualified law enforcement officers, qualified former law
    enforcement officers, and persons who have a license to carry a concealed weapon,
    including certain out-of-state licenses.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015...roposals/ab142

The deck chairs are nicely arranged. My CRKT is still a switchblade. The P4P hegemony has expanded its reign.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

...more equal...again. Hey, it's a baby step...right?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...more equal...again. Hey, it's a baby step...right?
    Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so recalcitrant an ignorant opponent.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Recovery of rights in small steps (incrementalism) is superior to not recovering them at all.

Order the complete enchilada, but enjoy each bite you get. Savor them.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Recovery of rights in small steps (incrementalism) is superior to not recovering them at all.

Order the complete enchilada, but enjoy each bite you get. Savor them.
    Has a right been recovered or has a privilege been granted? What gets my is that "This bill exempts
    from the prohibition qualified law enforcement officers, qualified former law enforcement officers, and persons who have a license to carry a concealed weapon, including certain out-of-state licenses."

If there is a exemption then there should be no prohibition in the first place. Cops should never be exempt from any anti-gun/knife law when not actively on the clock. I categorically disagree with the premise that "cops are always on the clock."

More equal = anti-liberty and anti-citizen!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

ASSEMBLY SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT 1
    Assembly Substitute Amendment 1 does all of the following:
     Repeals the switchblade prohibition.
     Includes knives under the law that currently generally prohibits political subdivisions from enacting ordinances or adopting resolutions that regulate firearms and are more stringent than state law.
     Provides that a person may not be in violation of, or charged with a violation of, the disorderly conduct statute or an ordinance relating to disorderly conduct for carrying or going armed with a knife, without regard to whether the knife is concealed or openly carried, unless other facts and circumstances apply that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person.
     Allows a person to carry any concealed knife unless the person is prohibited under state law from possessing a firearm.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/docu.../REG/AB142.pdf

I do not see where any knife is still prohibited.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 01-22-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Some parts of this country are just amazing. They don't look at law abiding citizens as criminals.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk