• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

poor movie behavior

zaitz

Banned
Supposedly an intoxicated man in a movie theatre drop and/or shot a woman who is now in critical condition in a movie theatre in Renton . . . It is in the local news . .. In other parts of the country, it is being alleged that this fellow was a concealed carry permit holder . . .

Not sure if that is being alleged in our local news.

decklin

I haven't seen that reported in the local news yet. I don't know where those other stations are getting that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Cue the "guns should be banned" bandwagon again, even though not a single one of those pundits think cars should be banned because of drunk drivers, a far greater epidemic.

utbagpiper

Banned
Cue the "guns should be banned" bandwagon again, even though not a single one of those pundits think cars should be banned because of drunk drivers, a far greater epidemic.

That is because cars have obvious and personal benefit to such persons. Even those who personally dislike the individual freedom the masses enjoy because of cars must be aware that a call to ban--or even severely restrict--cars would be met by so much populist resistance at this point as to be counter-productive. Far better at this stage to encourage "proper" living with Agenda 21 type efforts to increase the density of housing, while construction of new roads is opposed. Crowd folks into the cities.

What we have to understand is that many of the masses are not capable of doing a real cost-benefit analysis. Otherwise, such folks would not be spenindg money on cable TV while living without life insurance for the wage earners in the household.

Some who are capable, don't actually believe that guns in private hands bring benefits. Notice the ever and on-going efforts by the antis to persuade people that a gun in the home is "21 times more likely to kill a family member than a home invader...." and other such nonsense. These efforts are aimed directly at undermining the benefit side of the equation.

And for some, what we view as benefits of widespread private gun ownership--including reduced reliance on government to maintain order in times of crisis, a check on government power, etc--are viewed very deliberately as horrible costs.

If your goal in life is to impose unwanted control on the masses, guns in the hands of those masses are very undesirable.

We speak and write often of the "sheeple". Let us not forget those who know full well what they are doing, but simply want something very different than we do.

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't see the model of gun ... could chk this vs CA approved handgun list that requires passing drop testing to get onto the list.

davidmcbeth

Banned
remember he was drunk!!

ipse

Excuse accepted? It's an old excuse....for many things.

In reality, the person shot will not be made whole just by the guy getting jail time...her relief will be in civil court..best of luck to her there.

I could see disorderly conduct, 1 yr probation, alcohol treatment (really, do these programs work? But I see courts pushing them). Assuming the guy's record was clear before.

I should be a judge !

Freedom1Man

Why do they not write about the idiots in cars? Everyday I see people who tailgate, fail to signal, run red lights, and at night fail to turn their lights on.

The idiots on the road are way more dangerous than an idiot with a gun. I can take down an idiot with a gun. A car requires much more effort to stop.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

mikeyb

That is because cars have obvious and personal benefit to such persons. Even those who personally dislike the individual freedom the masses enjoy because of cars must be aware that a call to ban--or even severely restrict--cars would be met by so much populist resistance at this point as to be counter-productive. Far better at this stage to encourage "proper" living with Agenda 21 type efforts to increase the density of housing, while construction of new roads is opposed. Crowd folks into the cities.

What we have to understand is that many of the masses are not capable of doing a real cost-benefit analysis. Otherwise, such folks would not be spenindg money on cable TV while living without life insurance for the wage earners in the household.

Some who are capable, don't actually believe that guns in private hands bring benefits. Notice the ever and on-going efforts by the antis to persuade people that a gun in the home is "21 times more likely to kill a family member than a home invader...." and other such nonsense. These efforts are aimed directly at undermining the benefit side of the equation.

And for some, what we view as benefits of widespread private gun ownership--including reduced reliance on government to maintain order in times of crisis, a check on government power, etc--are viewed very deliberately as horrible costs.

If your goal in life is to impose unwanted control on the masses, guns in the hands of those masses are very undesirable.

We speak and write often of the "sheeple". Let us not forget those who know full well what they are doing, but simply want something very different than we do.

Charles

And this has what to do with all the tea in China?

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack on topic (a strange direction for some):

Drunk guy plays with his gun. Not a euphemism. Shoots someone in a theater. Leaves. He gets home. Let's skip over how he got home (good job, mass media). So not only did he break the basic laws of gun safety and common sense, he drove home drunk (assumption, but highly likely).

Another IGOTD. What's really sad is people believe this type of stuff happens all the time. Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.

solus

And this has what to do with all the tea in China?

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack on topic (a strange direction for some):

Drunk guy plays with his gun. Not a euphemism. Shoots someone in a theater. Leaves. He gets home. Let's skip over how he got home (good job, mass media). So not only did he break the basic laws of gun safety and common sense, he drove home drunk (assumption, but highly likely).

Another IGOTD. What's really sad is people believe this type of stuff happens all the time. Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.

mikey...ya driving drunk happens all the time...some citizens in NM have 15+ DUIs and continue to drive drunk.

neighbour down the street FINALLY found a judge to put him away in country for a year for being cited 7 times ~ last one, he left his vehicle in the ditch and he hitched home...his appearance before the county judge was 10 months after the crash, his year was commuted to 4 months in county and then he was released for good behaviour.

oh BTW, the only reason this came to the judge's attention at all was he roamed the neighbourhood drunk, threatened to injury all the neighbours, when the nice deputies went to discuss it with him, he attacked them arrested at 1600L, was out on bail by 2200L. the county's Deputy DA told the deputies she was dropping their assault charges for this negotiated plea deal with the man's attorney.

4 months...so yes mikey it does happen all the time...

ipse

mikeyb

mikey...ya driving drunk happens all the time...some citizens in NM have 15+ DUIs and continue to drive drunk.

neighbour down the street FINALLY found a judge to put him away in country for a year for being cited 7 times ~ last one, he left his vehicle in the ditch and he hitched home...his appearance before the county judge was 10 months after the crash, his year was commuted to 4 months in county and then he was released for good behaviour.

oh BTW, the only reason this came to the judge's attention at all was he roamed the neighbourhood drunk, threatened to injury all the neighbours, when the nice deputies went to discuss it with him, he attacked them arrested at 1600L, was out on bail by 2200L. the county's Deputy DA told the deputies she was dropping their assault charges for this negotiated plea deal with the man's attorney.

4 months...so yes mikey it does happen all the time...

ipse

I wasn't clear in my writing, my bad. IGOTD is Idiot Gun Owner of the Day. Shooting someone negligently doesn't happen as often as everyone thinks it does. That's what I was referring to.

I know drunk people drive all the time. That's nothing new.

zaitz

Banned
Supposedly an intoxicated man in a movie theatre drop and/or shot a woman who is now in critical condition in a movie theatre in Renton . . . It is in the local news . .. In other parts of the country, it is being alleged that this fellow was a concealed carry permit holder . . .

Not sure if that is being alleged in our local news.

According to some of the most recent news, the fellow was visibly intoxicated and impaired and stumbled into the theatre and got a ticket; he was handling his gun, for no real reason other than mental impairment or haze, and had no reason he could give to police as to why there was a round in the chamber and then, he claims, some unknown stranger grabbed him in the crotch, with the result that he reacted by firing the handgun at another person who was acting innocently.

I am not sure if the guy is trying to create a self-defense claim or an accident explanation . . . but I somewhat tend to believe that the man's story of some random person in a dark theatre grabbing his crotch . . . just at the time that he was pointlessly playing with and/or pointing his loaded firearm . . . and his firearm somehow being one that had no safety and then went off . . .

I think I would have to hear of more cases of persons having their butt or crotch grabbed while sitting down in the movie theatre to believe this story . . . Till then, I tend to believe he has made up the story.