Thread: Folks in VA --- 1000 accidents due to snow

Banned

Folks in VA --- 1000 accidents due to snow

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loca...wide/79186290/

Just stay indoors I guess ...

I drove this for 10+ yrs ...

Never had an issue driving in the snow ... sure may have to drive a little bit slower ... but never got stuck or could not drive anywhere I wanted too...

Post pics VA folks !
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-23-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mon...wstorm-n501601

NC tries to top VA with 1200 accidents ...

You know.. you do not have to drive on roads that you think will cause you to get into an accident. The car has an off switch.

I've pulled over when roads were too unsafe to travel upon.

NC,, NASCAR territory .. zoom zoom crash

Banned
    West VA Gov declares emergency ...

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/WVa...366192161.html

I guess that the airlifting of chew will commence immediately...

Banned
    http://fox8.com/2016/01/22/army-says...pite-blizzard/

But these guys will still be on guard duty ....

Banned
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...366231561.html

That's why the roads and accidents are bad .. everyone trying to get to those free wifi hotspots !

Gee, David. Such a morbid attention to Virginia. Wonder why that might be?

Got nothing to say about the crashes in Conn, or PA, or MD, or NJ, or NY, or even DL? Guess all the drivers there are so safety-conscious that they don't play bumpercars in the snow.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://fox8.com/2016/01/22/army-says...pite-blizzard/

But these guys will still be on guard duty ....
    Yes, they will still be on duty. They have walked their post in rain, snow, heat, wind, and every other kind of weather. There are several occasions when they have disobeyed the orders of their superiors to stand down due to severe weather.

http://www.army.mil/article/38013/

The sentinels stand watch over the three unknown Soldiers 365 days a year, through pouring rain, blizzard-like snow and scorching heat. And they do it in all-wool dress uniforms. They can add cold weather gear or rain gear, but can't change into lighter uniforms during Washington's notoriously hot and humid summers.

"We try to take as many precautions to prepare for it as we can," said Gilliam. "But part of it is, you just have to tough it out. Wintertime to me-I don't like the cold at all-so the wintertime is a lot tougher than the summer. Summertime is over 100 degrees (in) 100-percent wool (uniforms). It can definitely get pretty hot. We do in the summertime, 30-minute shifts. It's not overwhelming, but you have to prepare your body, stay hydrated. The physical aspect wears down on the Soldiers, especially guys who've been here over two or three summers."

It does have an up side, however, said Mancha. Extreme-weather days are his favorite times guarding the tomb.

"It's actually very motivating, believe it or not," he said. "Some Soldiers like the heat. Some Soldiers like the cold. Snow-snow's an awesome time to walk. There's not a lot of crowd that comes around. That's not what we focus on, but to be out here by yourself, (whether it's) 100 degrees or negative-10, it gets very motivating. You're dreading it at first, but when you get out here and you're by yourself, it's just you and the unknowns, and you're doing something special, something nobody else wanted to do. Guarding the unknowns at 2 a.m. in 10-degree weather, it motivates you.
    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Gee, David. Such a morbid attention to Virginia. Wonder why that might be?

Got nothing to say about the crashes in Conn, or PA, or MD, or NJ, or NY, or even DL? Guess all the drivers there are so safety-conscious that they don't play bumpercars in the snow.

stay safe.
    I am an equal opportunity funner-maker.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...01-23-12-58-24

One in Conn.....closed intersection for a while ... they are terrible here in clearing vehicles.

Its an entire east coast thing .. "Nor'easter" and such silly whatnots.

Two abandoned cars in the parking lot. One SUV trying to get stuck or maybe unstuck. 7-11 is open for business and has plenty of fresh coffee.

I can't even see my car.

Pried mine out of the driveway this morning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right front quarter view with black hood and flag decal 21 percent.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	12950

I found the time between good driving and bad driving due to snow is two weeks.

Even up north here if we have more then two weeks with out snow people forget how to drive in it.

In areas where snow is rare do they learn.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I'm just spit-balling here......
    But I can't imagine you were ever driving a Honda Insite in much over 3 inches of unplowed snow.
    Now try it in the 18-30" we got in the DC metro area.
    Take video.
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 01-25-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    I'm just spit-balling here......
    But I can't imagine you were ever driving a Honda Insite in much over 3 inches of unplowed snow.
    Now try it in the 18-30" we got in the DC metro area.
    Take video.
    Oh Bluto, we got snow on the ground .... The Insight is not an ATV .. duh. Drove it everyday for 10yrs, rain, snow, whatever. Never had issues like those folks in NYC. So I have driven it when 10" has fallen, no problemo.

Wait until the second storm hits ... I can only hope it blankets DC with 100' of snow (and never melts). Fingers' crossed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    Pried mine out of the driveway this morning:

Name:	right front quarter view with black hood and flag decal 21 percent.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	12950
    How many miles on it?

I had my battery go out ... Honda split the costs...cost me $500 to change the battery. Odd, w/o the battery the mileage was the same (performance was down of course).

Oh Bluto, we got snow on the ground .... So I have driven it when 10" has fallen, no problemo.
    You left off the part about "and after the snow plows came through".
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 01-26-2016 at 07:00 AM.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loca...wide/79186290/

Just stay indoors I guess ...

I drove this for 10+ yrs ...

Never had an issue driving in the snow ... sure may have to drive a little bit slower ... but never got stuck or could not drive anywhere I wanted too...

Post pics VA folks !
    All depends on how much snow we are talking much more then 6 inches two wheel cars have some problems.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I have gotten along just fine, for ten years now, with two FWD on Nokian Hakkapeliitta. High centered once. Now I'm learning BMW X5 xDrive on AS Duelers. So far fine, but a remarkably mild winter. Our 30 year average is 40", with 100" winters not uncommon.

Last night we got six inches of wet heavy snow on my dry driveway. So I'm out shoveling. It's either that or the squirrel cage bicycle trainer.

I start by shoveling out the mailbox, then the snowplows ice-berm at the end of the drive way, and then 100 square-feet at a time until I'm done. I have about 2,000 square-feet of concrete.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

D Mc B: Next oil change will be at 200,000. i change it every 10,000, whether it needs it or not! Mobil 1 0W20. battery was replaced at 60K. Honda paid. It could use a new one again, but i built a high voltage charger to bring it up to 100% instead of 80% like honda does. I just plug it in every few nights to top it off. Getting mid-60s for mileage, down about 10 due to my choice of tires vs stock.

As for driving in deep snow, no way. the chin spoiler digs in. besides, if the parking lots at NASA are snow or icy, they close the base and i stay home. If i had to i could always drive my 88 Grand Wagoneer. Lifted, big tires, fuel injection, bla, bla, etc.

Name:	SM7 SMALL.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	12951

Banned
    D Mc B: Next oil change will be at 200,000. i change it every 10,000, whether it needs it or not! Mobil 1 0W20. battery was replaced at 60K. Honda paid. It could use a new one again, but i built a high voltage charger to bring it up to 100% instead of 80% like honda does. I just plug it in every few nights to top it off. Getting mid-60s for mileage, down about 10 due to my choice of tires vs stock.

As for driving in deep snow, no way. the chin spoiler digs in. besides, if the parking lots at NASA are snow or icy, they close the base and i stay home. If i had to i could always drive my 88 Grand Wagoneer. Lifted, big tires, fuel injection, bla, bla, etc.
    Sold my insight for 5K like 2 yrs ago...saw car on craigslist w/ 175K mi for 5K asking price (I called for vin #) ... what the guy got for it is a mystery of course. He did note that she had to change the exhaust...and that he bought a Volvo to replace it (maybe a close call scared him -- squish !) ...like from rubbernecking?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2vOG_0koMY <<<the end of the scene is hilarious !

Nice!

AFAIK, there have been no deaths to anybody in a first-gen insight. of course a sample size of only 14,000 isn't much...

Nice!

AFAIK, there have been no deaths to anybody in a first-gen insight. of course a sample size of only 14,000 isn't much...
    Everyone says "I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one." :-)

This thread kinda wandered off into the weeds..........
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 01-27-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Banned
    Nice!

Because they only sold the cars to the best (and handsomest) drivers !

And that there is the truth. More or less... 😉