• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Folks in VA --- 1000 accidents due to snow

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...oads-300-crashes-reported-statewide/79186290/

Just stay indoors I guess ...

I drove this for 10+ yrs ...
1D4A10FB-9C59-4F3A-9733-8C96D8CD0F17_1.jpg

Never had an issue driving in the snow ... sure may have to drive a little bit slower ... but never got stuck or could not drive anywhere I wanted too...

Post pics VA folks !

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Gee, David. Such a morbid attention to Virginia. Wonder why that might be?

Got nothing to say about the crashes in Conn, or PA, or MD, or NJ, or NY, or even DL? Guess all the drivers there are so safety-conscious that they don't play bumpercars in the snow.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Yes, they will still be on duty. They have walked their post in rain, snow, heat, wind, and every other kind of weather. There are several occasions when they have disobeyed the orders of their superiors to stand down due to severe weather.

http://www.army.mil/article/38013/

The sentinels stand watch over the three unknown Soldiers 365 days a year, through pouring rain, blizzard-like snow and scorching heat. And they do it in all-wool dress uniforms. They can add cold weather gear or rain gear, but can't change into lighter uniforms during Washington's notoriously hot and humid summers.

"We try to take as many precautions to prepare for it as we can," said Gilliam. "But part of it is, you just have to tough it out. Wintertime to me-I don't like the cold at all-so the wintertime is a lot tougher than the summer. Summertime is over 100 degrees (in) 100-percent wool (uniforms). It can definitely get pretty hot. We do in the summertime, 30-minute shifts. It's not overwhelming, but you have to prepare your body, stay hydrated. The physical aspect wears down on the Soldiers, especially guys who've been here over two or three summers."

It does have an up side, however, said Mancha. Extreme-weather days are his favorite times guarding the tomb.

"It's actually very motivating, believe it or not," he said. "Some Soldiers like the heat. Some Soldiers like the cold. Snow-snow's an awesome time to walk. There's not a lot of crowd that comes around. That's not what we focus on, but to be out here by yourself, (whether it's) 100 degrees or negative-10, it gets very motivating. You're dreading it at first, but when you get out here and you're by yourself, it's just you and the unknowns, and you're doing something special, something nobody else wanted to do. Guarding the unknowns at 2 a.m. in 10-degree weather, it motivates you.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gee, David. Such a morbid attention to Virginia. Wonder why that might be?

Got nothing to say about the crashes in Conn, or PA, or MD, or NJ, or NY, or even DL? Guess all the drivers there are so safety-conscious that they don't play bumpercars in the snow.

stay safe.

I am an equal opportunity funner-maker.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...TE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-23-12-58-24

One in Conn.....closed intersection for a while ... they are terrible here in clearing vehicles.

Its an entire east coast thing .. "Nor'easter" and such silly whatnots.

blahpony

Two abandoned cars in the parking lot. One SUV trying to get stuck or maybe unstuck. 7-11 is open for business and has plenty of fresh coffee.

I can't even see my car.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I found the time between good driving and bad driving due to snow is two weeks.

Even up north here if we have more then two weeks with out snow people forget how to drive in it.

In areas where snow is rare do they learn.

Shovelhead

I'm just spit-balling here......
But I can't imagine you were ever driving a Honda Insite in much over 3 inches of unplowed snow.
Now try it in the 18-30" we got in the DC metro area.
Take video.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm just spit-balling here......
But I can't imagine you were ever driving a Honda Insite in much over 3 inches of unplowed snow.
Now try it in the 18-30" we got in the DC metro area.
Take video.

Oh Bluto, we got snow on the ground .... The Insight is not an ATV .. duh. Drove it everyday for 10yrs, rain, snow, whatever. Never had issues like those folks in NYC. So I have driven it when 10" has fallen, no problemo.

Wait until the second storm hits ... I can only hope it blankets DC with 100' of snow (and never melts). Fingers' crossed.

Firearms Iinstuctor

hafnhaf

D Mc B: Next oil change will be at 200,000. i change it every 10,000, whether it needs it or not! ;) Mobil 1 0W20. battery was replaced at 60K. Honda paid. It could use a new one again, but i built a high voltage charger to bring it up to 100% instead of 80% like honda does. I just plug it in every few nights to top it off. Getting mid-60s for mileage, down about 10 due to my choice of tires vs stock.

As for driving in deep snow, no way. the chin spoiler digs in. besides, if the parking lots at NASA are snow or icy, they close the base and i stay home. :) If i had to i could always drive my 88 Grand Wagoneer. Lifted, big tires, fuel injection, bla, bla, etc.

SM7 SMALL.JPG

davidmcbeth

Banned
D Mc B: Next oil change will be at 200,000. i change it every 10,000, whether it needs it or not! ;) Mobil 1 0W20. battery was replaced at 60K. Honda paid. It could use a new one again, but i built a high voltage charger to bring it up to 100% instead of 80% like honda does. I just plug it in every few nights to top it off. Getting mid-60s for mileage, down about 10 due to my choice of tires vs stock.

As for driving in deep snow, no way. the chin spoiler digs in. besides, if the parking lots at NASA are snow or icy, they close the base and i stay home. :) If i had to i could always drive my 88 Grand Wagoneer. Lifted, big tires, fuel injection, bla, bla, etc.

Sold my insight for 5K like 2 yrs ago...saw car on craigslist w/ 175K mi for 5K asking price (I called for vin #) ... what the guy got for it is a mystery of course. He did note that she had to change the exhaust...and that he bought a Volvo to replace it (maybe a close call scared him -- squish !) ...like from rubbernecking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2vOG_0koMY <<<the end of the scene is hilarious !

hafnhaf

Nice!

AFAIK, there have been no deaths to anybody in a first-gen insight. of course a sample size of only 14,000 isn't much...

Shovelhead

Nice!

AFAIK, there have been no deaths to anybody in a first-gen insight. of course a sample size of only 14,000 isn't much...

Everyone says "I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one." :)

This thread kinda wandered off into the weeds..........

Last edited: