Thread: Snowmageddon. Good Samaritan Shot and Killed by Driver Stuck in Snow

Snowmageddon. Good Samaritan Shot and Killed by Driver Stuck in Snow

The scene unfolded in Catawba County, outside Charlotte, around 5 p.m. when the suspect's car slid off the road and got stuck in snow. According to the county's sheriff, Coy Reid, some people who were passing by stopped to help the man. Reid said that the group believed there was something wrong with the man, so they said they were going to call the police. "He heard them say that," Reid said. "He jumps out of the car with a pistol."
    [ ... ]
    After the shooting, the suspect got back in his car, which was still stuck, Reid said. Responding officers, ordered him out, but he allegedly refused to obey their commands, so police called in a special tactics unit, including an armored car. Officers were able to take the man into custody.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/good-samari...ry?id=36462969

The Book of Revelation walks and talks among US.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I think an appropriate special tactics vehicle would have been a snowplow. Bury the car.
    Governor certainly made no mention of this in this morning's briefing.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 01-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Founder's Club Member

Inhibiting the Desire to Help

I'm gonna have to wait for full details on this particular shooting.

Inhibiting the desire in others to help others is socially corrosive.

Also, its too easy for this to have been a gang-on-gang sort of thing, where the "Samaritans" were actually gonna try an rob the first guy of drugs or something in his car.

Before I'll accept the flat out murder of a genuine helper, I'll need lots more facts.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Have you been in NC when a 1/4 in of snow falls? Its like the end of the Earth is coming.

Banned
    Second hand and with no back up to prove I was told this by a friend who was apparently close to the scene.

The drunk driver crashed in the ditch, a group got out of vehicles to help, the group noticed the driver was drunk. The group began to harrass the driver about his decisions and taunting him about calling the police so he could go to jail. The "victim" was vocal about calling 911 and was insulting the driver, to which the driver responded incorrectly by killing the man, however he then sat back in his vehicle after realizing he had made a mistake and waited for police. The man had sobered up by the time SWAT ended the situation.

Now if this argument is true or not has not been confirmed, however many witnesses on tv have stated that they over heard an argument prior to the shooting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1j9l9f0 View Post
    Second hand and with no back up to prove I was told this by a friend who was apparently close to the scene.

The drunk driver crashed in the ditch, a group got out of vehicles to help, the group noticed the driver was drunk. The group began to harrass the driver about his decisions and taunting him about calling the police so he could go to jail. The "victim" was vocal about calling 911 and was insulting the driver, to which the driver responded incorrectly by killing the man, however he then sat back in his vehicle after realizing he had made a mistake and waited for police. The man had sobered up by the time SWAT ended the situation.

Now if this argument is true or not has not been confirmed, however many witnesses on tv have stated that they over heard an argument prior to the shooting.
    Killed for taunting ? A tiny bit over-reaction. Of course, no one likes a tattle-tale.

Combined with the NC-snow-crazy syndrome I could see manslaughter plea with 2 yrs in prison and 10 yrs probation and a $250 fine.

How many drunks have I seen in ditches? Plenty. I just give them a ride home if they want. Who hasn't driven their car into a ditch while blotto....its a classic...even w/o snow. American as apple pie IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Killed for taunting ? A tiny bit over-reaction. Of course, no one likes a tattle-tale.
    Gives new meaning to the old saying "snitches get stitches."