Thread: USMC rejects volunteer for Confederate Southern Pride tattoo.

USMC rejects volunteer for Confederate Southern Pride tattoo.

“As soon as I said rebel flag on my ribs, he says DQ, just automatically, DQ,” Mr. Bauswell told local news station KARK 4. [ ... ] The Marine Corps tattoo policy states: “Tattoos/brands that are sexist (express nudity), racist, eccentric or offensive in nature… are prohibited.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...onfederate-fl/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...FFg8kZ0B3MRpjM

Marines' New Tattoo Policy Will be More Flexible
    Posted: Jan 22, 2016 5:00 PM CST Updated: Jan 22, 2016 5:00 PM CST

(MARINE CORPS TIMES) -- Marines will have more flexibility under the service’s upcoming updates to its tattoo policy, but they still will not be allowed to get sleeve tattoos, said Commandant Gen. Robert Neller.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/31035720...-more-flexible
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-23-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Perhaps in time young Anthony Bauswell will come to recognize his profound good luck in being rejected. His odds of dying or being maimed in a foreign land for elites willing to risk his life just declined dramatically.* Same for his odds of having to spend the latter part of his life with the deaths of other young men on his conscience.

Too bad the Marines are becoming more PC. Alas, its been happening for years. Its just that the Marines have been resisting, so the deterioration has been slow. So, really, this is a non-story. Just another back step in a sad, slow retreat.**

*I am a former Marine. I have room to talk. I'd better not hear any patriotic pablum taking me to task. Fair warning. I have a former USMC general officer--Smedley Butler--on my side of the argument. If you want to criticize my comment with patriotic jingoism and neocon catchphrases, just go right ahead.

**Now, Marines will tell you Marines don't retreat. They will on occasion "move backward for tactical reasons." However, the current business about Anthony's tattoo is a retreat in the face of overwhelming PC.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-23-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    I saw that .. all services may refuse people with tats, depending on the tat gotten.

I may be old, but I was in the Navy when it was cool.

I may be old, but I was in the Navy when it was cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	12948  
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    "move backward for tactical reasons."
    Also known as a tactical advance to the rear. Or even "conducting hasty retrograde operations".

It would appear that Mr. Bauswell 1st amendment right is being violated by the USMC.

My .02
    Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    It would appear that Mr. Bauswell 1st amendment right is being violated by the USMC.

My .02
    Regards
    CCJ
    Would you explain how that is happening?

In some detail.

Taking into regard the historical waiving of various rights for the duration of military service.

Thank yp.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

How can the Marines possibly maintain their reputation of being a branch of rejects, if they don't accept some Whiskey Tango guy?!
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Would you explain how that is happening?

In some detail.

Taking into regard the historical waiving of various rights for the duration of military service.

Thank yp.

stay safe.
    See Coleman v city of mesa
    see Anderson v city of Hermosa beach.

Currently the military has a ban on certain types of tattoos, however if enough of our military personal challenge the ban in federal court, not military court, I believe they would have a good cause of actions.
    It seems crazy that a man or woman can go fight and die for this country however they cannot possess a specific type or size of a tattoo.

Hell back in my day, ever sailor would have been dishonorable discharged from the Navy if this current ban on Tats was implemented...

Also many LEA are currently forcing police officers to cover up exposed tats..

From a personal stand point, if a person is qualified via certain type skills needed to protect our country from the enemy, I could care less what type or where he/she had a tat...
    Think if the NFL,NBA, or MLB ban players with tats, hell the leagues would cease to exist..

My .02

Skid, good hearing from you.
    Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

See Coleman v city of mesa

This case involved the intersection of municipal zoning regulations and the right of tattoo artists to ply their trade.
    Thus totally irrelevant.

see Anderson v city of Hermosa beach.

We address a question of first impression in our circuit: whether a municipal ban on tattoo parlors violates the First Amendment. - See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-ci....4i8Sgig4.dpuf
    Again irrelevant.

Currently the military has a ban on certain types of tattoos, however if enough of our military personal challenge the ban in federal court, not military court, I believe they would have a good cause of actions.
    It seems crazy that a man or woman can go fight and die for this country however they cannot possess a specific type or size of a tattoo.

Hell back in my day, ever sailor would have been dishonorable discharged from the Navy if this current ban on Tats was implemented...

Also many LEA are currently forcing police officers to cover up exposed tats..

From a personal stand point, if a person is qualified via certain type skills needed to protect our country from the enemy, I could care less what type or where he/she had a tat...
    Think if the NFL,NBA, or MLB ban players with tats, hell the leagues would cease to exist..

My .02

Skid, good hearing from you.
    Regards
    CCJ
    You might have tried something like this http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...gious-headgear in support of your contention.

The Department of Defense has released new regulations that relax prohibitions on the wearing of religious headgear, as well as beards, tattoos or piercings with religious significance, while service members are in uniform.

"The military departments will accommodate individual expressions of sincerely held beliefs (conscience, moral principles, or religious beliefs) of service members" unless it might affect military readiness or unit cohesion, the updated policy on religious accommodation said.

Reuters says that the policy, which is to be decided on a case-by-case basis, will mainly affect "Sikhs, Muslims, Jews and members of other groups that wear beards or articles of clothing as part of their religion. It also could affect Wiccans and others who may obtain tattoos or piercings for religious reasons."
    Or looked at the actual DOD Regulations covering the issue: http://www.religioustolerance.org/mili_rel.htm

Please come back after reviewing these and let me know if you still believe the cited case is still a 1A issue, and why you think so.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned

My .02
    Regards
    CCJ
    1st amendment eh? Welcome to the military !

You are a bullet catcher now...catch them good w/o complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    1st amendment eh? Welcome to the military !

You are a bullet catcher now...catch them good w/o complaint.
    Catch phrases are nic, but you can be more helpful to CCJ and others by explaining how you come to your conclusion.

{That you and I agree on both the same conclusion and, most likely, follow the same line of thought to get there, should not be taken by anyone as having a cause and effect relationship with the recent east coast weather or the temperature in Hades.

Although it is at least mathematically possible that you might have finally seen a small sliver of the light.]

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

...Also many LEA are currently forcing police officers to cover up exposed tats...
    They ought to force them to grow their hair, too.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    They ought to force them to grow their hair, too.
    It's not nice to force people to do things.

OTOH, it's a national pastime to prohibit them from doing stuff. Prohibit hair any shorter than 1/4 inch on any part of the skull (natural baldness excepted). So long high&tights.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It's not nice to force people to do things.

OTOH, it's a national pastime to prohibit them from doing stuff. Prohibit hair any shorter than 1/4 inch on any part of the skull (natural baldness excepted). So long high&tights.

stay safe.
    Yea!
    Now if taxes and other forms of conscription can be addressed.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    “As soon as I said rebel flag on my ribs, he says DQ, just automatically, DQ,” Mr. Bauswell told local news station KARK 4. [ ... ] The Marine Corps tattoo policy states: “Tattoos/brands that are sexist (express nudity), racist, eccentric or offensive in nature… are prohibited.”
    There is value in having some standards on how military personnel look...seeing as how the military seems to have moved away from the simple mission of "killing people and breaking things" and into more of a role of perpetual peacekeepers and heavily armed diplomats. Good discipline and order probably also require a lack of gang tattoos and such. That said, who in their right mind expects the military ranks to be filled with genteel gentlemen as opposed to ruffians? I remember when members of the military were part of the small minority in our society who had tattoos, along with bikers and convicts.

The problem here (obviously) is that the Confederate Battle Standard / Army of Northern Virginia is being lumped in with racist and offensive tattoos.

The fact that this particular tattoo is only visible when the person's shirt is removed makes the situation that much more pathetic for the marines.

Fortunately, the military (and maybe police agencies) are the minority in presuming to inspect a person's entire body. Most potential employers will never have any cause to ask about or know of a tattoo fully covered by typical shirts.

In addition to being disgusted by the on going efforts to erase history and to equate regional pride with racism, the other lesson here for the kids is to think twice about permanently marking your body. And if one is going to get a tattoo, one ought to think carefully about what image is selected and where it is placed. There is just no telling what might be considered offensive in a few years.

ETA: I wonder if such a tattoo would disqualify the young man from military service in the event the draft is brought back. Or will standards be altered if we get to the point of an insufficient number of wiling volunteers.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 01-25-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

So you are saying a tattoo of my blood type, places in my left armpit, might not be the best way to get around those stupid UPCs the grunts are putting on their necks?

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    <snip>

ETA: I wonder if such a tattoo would disqualify the young man from military service in the event the draft is brought back. Or will standards be altered if we get to the point of an insufficient number of wiling volunteers.

Charles
    Standards are something that change depending on the services' needs ... I'm sure if another Vietnam happens they would take that guy w/o issue (otherwise everyone would get the same tat).

Who is joining now? Under Obummer? I do not recommend to young folks of joining the military when they might have to be ordered to point their guns at their family, friends, and neighbors.

Founder's Club Member
    Standards are something that change depending on the services' needs ... I'm sure if another Vietnam happens they would take that guy w/o issue (otherwise everyone would get the same tat).

Who is joining now? Under Obummer? I do not recommend to young folks of joining the military when they might have to be ordered to point their guns at their family, friends, and neighbors.
    Or another young man tricked into fighting by ideology or demagoguery.

Some months ago I had a slightly warm discussion with an old friend unseen for literally fifteen years. I do not recall how the discussion turned to military service. I told him government has been lying to me since I was ten years old. Every day. Twice a day. Even though I am a former Marine, there is no way in hell I would today don the uniform and go and kill another young man in a foreign land on the justifications of the US government. Just based on long experience, any reason given by the government has a high likelihood of being either a deliberate lie or a massive distortion. Sorry. I'm not going to kill another human being on your recommendation, Mr. Government. Not with your track record.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-26-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Just based on long experience, any reason given by the government has a high likelihood of being either a deliberate lie or a massive distortion. <snip>
    ROFL... I was just at a meeting for my water commission. I recently discovered that members were meeting in secret (how? The morons admitted it in an open meeting).

So I gave them the 1-2 punch .... "only two things the public gets out of secret meetings ..... 1) screwed and 2) totally screwed." I was not the bell of the ball tonight.

ROFL... I was just at a meeting for my water commission. I recently discovered that members were meeting in secret (how? The morons admitted it in an open meeting).

So I gave them the 1-2 punch .... "only two things the public gets out of secret meetings ..... 1) screwed and 2) totally screwed." I was not the bell of the ball tonight.
    Belle*

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Belle*

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    yup belle ... thx