• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concerns about 2016 SB 48: "Constitutional Carry"

TFred

I have questions about SB48, the so-called "Constitutional Carry" bill.

In a nutshell, the bill states that if one "is otherwise qualified" to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit, minus the demonstration of competency (training, etc.) then one may carry a concealed handgun anywhere that a handgun may be carried openly.

However, the way the bill/current law works is this:

It is, and will still be, illegal to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Virginia.

There is a list of "shall not apply to" which excludes certain people from this law. The most commonly known and used probably being "Any person while in his own place of business."

SB 48 proposes to add another exclusion to this list:

"For the sole purpose of carrying a concealed handgun, any person who carries a concealed handgun anywhere he may lawfully carry a handgun openly within the Commonwealth and who is otherwise qualified under this article to obtain a concealed handgun permit."

While this seems to do the desired job, it leaves me with many questions.

Since the act of carrying a concealed handgun will still be a crime, how does this affect permitless concealed handgun carriers in the wild, among police officers?

Courts have ruled that open carry alone is not sufficient for detention to check to see if you are barred from possession, because open carry is the "normal" state, and not against the law. There must be a specific reason to suspect you are outside that "normal" law-abiding state before you can be detained.

Will that be the case here? If someone happens to notice you are carrying a concealed handgun (and please dispense with the "concealed means concealed" comments, slips happen to the best of us), or perhaps some gun-hater happens to KNOW you are carrying a handgun, and they call the police, is that report enough to detain you? How would the police know "on the side of the road" if you are "otherwise qualified" to obtain a permit, when that process takes a complete background check, including a search and analysis of any prior record? Would anyone carrying concealed be subject to arrest and detention until such a background check could confirm that you are "qualified?" What events would rise to the level of probable cause to initiate such a course of action?

And perhaps more importantly, how do YOU KNOW for sure that you are "otherwise qualified?" There are so many quirky disqualifiers, with odd expiration times on them, it is quite possible that there could be many people riding that line between qualified and not quite qualified, and no idea which side they fall on. At least with a permit system, if someone discovers that you are no longer qualified, they are supposed to contact you and get the permit back!

While I very much understand the concept of first steps, it would seem to be not only better, but perhaps even critical to implement a Constitutional Carry law that is really that: Anyone not disqualified to possess, is therefore qualified to carry, in any fashion they so choose. Of course, this would require elimination of vast portions of the current law.

I would hope that the sponsor and supporting organization(s) did a lot of thinking about this. If anyone has any inside scoop, I'd love to hear it. I just have a very bad feeling about what might happen if a gun-hating judge gets ahold of some unwitting victim as this bill is currently written.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip> I just have a very bad feeling about what might happen if a gun-hating judge gets ahold of some unwitting victim as this bill is currently written.

TFred

Methinks you have very good insight....

Given that all the discussion that a judge could rely upon likely happens behind closed doors in committee meetings that you are not invited to it would allow a judge to do anything.

Good luck.

taurusfan

Can't we SOMEHOW keep Herring from terminating the reciprocity agreements on February 1st?

Does Herring answer only to McAfull ?

Thundar

I have questions about SB48, the so-called "Constitutional Carry" bill.

In a nutshell, the bill states that if one "is otherwise qualified" to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit, minus the demonstration of competency (training, etc.) then one may carry a concealed handgun anywhere that a handgun may be carried openly.

However, the way the bill/current law works is this:

It is, and will still be, illegal to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Virginia.

There is a list of "shall not apply to" which excludes certain people from this law. The most commonly known and used probably being "Any person while in his own place of business."

SB 48 proposes to add another exclusion to this list:

"For the sole purpose of carrying a concealed handgun, any person who carries a concealed handgun anywhere he may lawfully carry a handgun openly within the Commonwealth and who is otherwise qualified under this article to obtain a concealed handgun permit."

While this seems to do the desired job, it leaves me with many questions.

Since the act of carrying a concealed handgun will still be a crime, how does this affect permitless concealed handgun carriers in the wild, among police officers?

Courts have ruled that open carry alone is not sufficient for detention to check to see if you are barred from possession, because open carry is the "normal" state, and not against the law. There must be a specific reason to suspect you are outside that "normal" law-abiding state before you can be detained.

Will that be the case here? If someone happens to notice you are carrying a concealed handgun (and please dispense with the "concealed means concealed" comments, slips happen to the best of us), or perhaps some gun-hater happens to KNOW you are carrying a handgun, and they call the police, is that report enough to detain you? How would the police know "on the side of the road" if you are "otherwise qualified" to obtain a permit, when that process takes a complete background check, including a search and analysis of any prior record? Would anyone carrying concealed be subject to arrest and detention until such a background check could confirm that you are "qualified?" What events would rise to the level of probable cause to initiate such a course of action?

And perhaps more importantly, how do YOU KNOW for sure that you are "otherwise qualified?" There are so many quirky disqualifiers, with odd expiration times on them, it is quite possible that there could be many people riding that line between qualified and not quite qualified, and no idea which side they fall on. At least with a permit system, if someone discovers that you are no longer qualified, they are supposed to contact you and get the permit back!

While I very much understand the concept of first steps, it would seem to be not only better, but perhaps even critical to implement a Constitutional Carry law that is really that: Anyone not disqualified to possess, is therefore qualified to carry, in any fashion they so choose. Of course, this would require elimination of vast portions of the current law.

I would hope that the sponsor and supporting organization(s) did a lot of thinking about this. If anyone has any inside scoop, I'd love to hear it. I just have a very bad feeling about what might happen if a gun-hating judge gets ahold of some unwitting victim as this bill is currently written.

TFred

TFred,

This is also my irritation with the bill.

For example, other bills continue to give perks to permittees. $350,000 for a permittee who is harmed in a no gun zone, but nothing for others who open carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why do we have to start something else?
Presuming Constitutional Carry, there will still be people who will want a CHP for travel to other states.

That and there will still be certain persons who should not benefit thereof.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Why must they default to making new laws instead of just repealing old laws?

TFred

The more I think about this bill, the more it scares me. It puts ALL the risk on the citizen to completely know the CHP requirements, and to be 100% SURE that they qualify.

If you apply for a CHP now, but are denied, what is the consequence? None that I am aware of.

Under this new law, if you assume you qualify and carry a concealed handgun, but you are not actually qualified, what is the consequence? A criminal record!

At the very MINIMUM, the wording should be changed to require INTENTIONAL knowledge that you were not qualified.

"For the sole purpose of carrying a concealed handgun, any person who carries a concealed handgun anywhere he may lawfully carry a handgun openly within the Commonwealth and who is otherwise qualified to the best of his knowledge under this article to obtain a concealed handgun permit."

Or something like that...

TFred

Thundar

Why must they default to making new laws instead of just repealing old laws?

This is my preferred approach. Why is this important? The proposed bill still makes it a class one misdemeanor for a 20 year old to conceal.

Also, nothing for the anti's to try and change around later and destroys the P4P mentality.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This is my preferred approach. Why is this important? The proposed bill still makes it a class one felony for a 20 year old to conceal.

Also, nothing for the anti's to try and change around later and destroys the P4P mentality.

The only way you'd get to the felony is if you got caught and successfully prosecuted for illegally carrying a concealed handgun twice. The first time is a Class 1 misdemeanor once successfully prosecuted.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
The ostensible reason for the concealed weapon statute is that when you're openly carrying, everyone around you who's interested can see that you're carrying, and be mentally prepared for your doing something stupid with a gun. But if the gun's concealed, then they don't have that opportunity for full situational awareness, and given the gangster movies of the 'fifties, we fear that bad guys might carry guns in their pockets. I think it's dumb, myself, and take the provisions of Article 1, Section 13 of the Constitution seriously - "shall not be infringed" means, "shall not be infringed". If someone does something stupid with a gun, that's going to be a criminal offense in and of itself, and it don't make a rat's bottom's worth of difference how he'd stored the gun prior to the stupidity.

Last edited:

TFred

It will soon be time to retire Northam - relegate him to the Has Been Club.
We expect this from Northam. But not from Hanger. :mad: Reminds me of Norment, who, when asked why he voted "no" on the CHP privacy bill a number of years ago (killing it that year), said, "Oh, I go back and forth on that one..." :banghead:

TFred

Despite McAuliffe’s gun deal with GOP, issue still creates fight in state Senate

The argument did not carry the day in the Senate, which the GOP controls by a 21-19 margin. Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta), a moderate known for crossing party lines on some hot-button issues, joined with Democrats to vote against the bill, leading to a 20-20 tie.​

Maverick9

I'd rather see them scrap the need to renew permits.

I'd rather see them remove the CHP holders from the VCIN.

I'd rather see them revoke LE's ability to handle, remove, unload, take to their car any holstered or secured firearm during a traffic stop.

I'd rather see strong education on and backing on the idea the CHP holders and LAC OC-ers are the GOOD GUYS and are not to be mistreated or harassed.

You're never going to get reasonable provisions on a CC bill. But the above gives specific entitlements and reliefs.

FWIW

press1280

We expect this from Northam. But not from Hanger. :mad: Reminds me of Norment, who, when asked why he voted "no" on the CHP privacy bill a number of years ago (killing it that year), said, "Oh, I go back and forth on that one..." :banghead:

TFred

Despite McAuliffe’s gun deal with GOP, issue still creates fight in state Senate

The argument did not carry the day in the Senate, which the GOP controls by a 21-19 margin. Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta), a moderate known for crossing party lines on some hot-button issues, joined with Democrats to vote against the bill, leading to a 20-20 tie.​

That seems a good sign that Con Carry will indeed be on the table when McAuliffe is out.