Thread: Thermodynamics in a nutshell.

Thermodynamics in a nutshell.

• Zeroth: You must play the game.
    • First: You can't win.
    • Second: You can't break even.
    • Third: You can't quit the game.
    by C. P. Snow. Quoted in Mahon, Tom (2011). Reconnecting.calm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Reconnecting-c.../dp/B0058CWVF2
    To fix the “problem” a helicopter is employed (burning aviation fuel) to spray hot water (which is heated in the frigid temperatures using a truck equipped with a 260 kW oil burner) on the blades of the turbine to de-ice them.

The aviation fuel, the diesel for the truck, and the oil burned to heat the water, could produce more electricity (at the right time to meet demand) than the unfrozen wind turbine could ever produce. (Before it freezes up again).

The attached picture is a metaphor of the complete insanity of the climate change debate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de-icing-wind-turbine.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	12949
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Good lord! I never thought of that.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Look dang-nab-it ... its for the environment !

Should have heated the water with coal.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-25-2016 at 08:04 PM.

The three blade turbines are a waste of money and space.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

could carefully warm it up from the inside...

http://imgur.com/gallery/V0wcHjw

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I can't help but wonder if it's possible to cause a huge sheet of snow/ice to fall off, upsetting the balance and causing the thing to spin quickly enough to take out the chopper.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    could carefully warm it up from the inside...http://imgur.com/gallery/V0wcHjw ipse
    That was an interesting accident, thank you.

The wind was low, as indicated by the smoke speed and angle, too low to be profitable. So all the wind-generators brakes were set, none in the background are turning. The destroyed generator's brake failed, slipped perhaps due to failed feathering, overheated and caught fire that spread to the coolant oil.

If the generators are on line producing AC power, they must all turn at the same electrical rate, but with variable power production controlled by blade angle.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    [list]Zeroth: You must play the game....
    Don't make too much fun.

Every religion has those doctrines or practices that look very odd to outsiders.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.