• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC laws and regulations

I currently am 18, from my understanding it is legal to own handgun in Oregon but illegal to purchase handguns and handgun ammo. With this being said is someone able to "gift" me a gun a handgun and I openly carry it? If so is there any paperwork involved and how do I go about that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated -Chris

that was quite a rude reply, the reason for this post IS to get my facts straight. If your're going to be rude about it then don't read or reply to my post.

I apologize, I just joined today and am still getting the hang of this whole thing and don't understand how it works. I thought you were being rude and again I apologize. The part where it said "get your facts first" thew me off until i realized it was a quote just now. might help if you put quotation marks

Last edited:

solus

for once i was being civilized...no problem...and accepted.

please take folk's guidance with a grain of salt, and then research their guidance for yourself. if you do not understand a point then raise it out here for discussion...

remember OR has qurky city laws which cause problems in some locales.

best of luck on your OC'g knowledge quest

now, 'gifting' will be acceptable from an immediate family member, e.g. parent, G-parent or legal caregiver otherwise you are treading into 'straw-man' concepts.

recommend you take a NRA BASIC pistol course which provides appropriate knowledge on a wide variety of handgun facets, including purchasing concepts.

send a PM if further information is required...

good luck on your quest(s)

ipse

WalkingWolf

Hopefully this helps a little

opencarrymap.bmp

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-n-s/oregon/

The above link will take you to the OCDO wiki on Oregon OC.

Last edited:
I called a gun shop and they said it had to be a parent that "gifted" the gun to me, the thing with that is I do not have any family here in Oregon. If someone bought it and "gifted" it to me would it be considered a "straw purchase"?

solus

I called a gun shop and they said it had to be a parent that "gifted" the gun to me, the thing with that is I do not have any family here in Oregon. If someone bought it and "gifted" it to me would it be considered a "straw purchase"?

YEPPER!!

quote: Straw Purchaser: A “straw purchaser” is a person who is not the “actual buyer” of the firearm; that is, a person who obtains a firearm for another person. unquote

pg 4, https://www.atf.gov/file/58676/download

May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
Yes. However, persons less than 18 years of age may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission
of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.
[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

pg 198, https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Check your state laws it is only illegal to sell a handgun to 18 to 20 year old by a firearms dealer. If your state law does not restrict sale to under 21 by private sale you can still purchase. You also have the option to purchase an antique firearm(black powder revolver), if in your state they are not treated like firearms.

NO you cannot have someone buy a gun to sell it to you, that would still be straw purchase. They should already be selling the firearm. You can also buy the black powder revolver over the internet, and have it shipped UPS to your door. Again unless state law prohibits.

If you go the BP route I suggest a 5.5 inch barrel 1858 Remington with a spare cylinder. With Pyrodex I get power levels equal to 38 spl +p.

Oregon Statute

166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:

(1) “Antique firearm” means:

(a) Any firearm, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system, manufactured in or before 1898; and

(b) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this subsection if the replica:

(A) Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(B) Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(2) “Corrections officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 181.610.

(3) “Firearm” means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder.

(4) “Firearms silencer” means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a firearm.

(5) “Handgun” means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

(6) “Machine gun” means a weapon of any description by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is designed or modified to allow two or more shots to be fired by a single pressure on the trigger device.

(7) “Minor” means a person under 18 years of age.

(8) “Offense” has the meaning given that term in ORS 161.505.

(9) “Parole and probation officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 181.610.

(10) “Peace officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 133.005.

(11) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(12) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches. [Amended by 1977 c.769 §1; 1979 c.779 §3; 1989 c.839 §1; 1993 c.735 §14; 1995 c.670 §3; 1999 c.1040 §2; 2001 c.666 §§32,44; 2003 c.614 §7; 2007 c.368 §1; 2009 c.610 §4]

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Oregon has universal background checks now. I need to look up Oregon's law, but if it is like Washington's then only gifts from immediate family members are exempt from the background check requirement. Thus - a non-family member gift of a handgun to an 18-20 year old is impossible to be legal because the background check has to be done by the FFL and an 18-20 year old will get denied. Same is true for private sales that must go through an FFL for the background check.

Looks like his best bet is a 58 Remy.