• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016: Sb43 firearm safety and violence prevention in public schools

utbagpiper

Banned
Sen. Weiler, Todd is sponsoring SB43 FIREARM SAFETY AND VIOLENCE PREVENTION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

This bill allocates some money and creates a pilot program for schools to teach firearm safety and violence prevention.

Further analysis will be needed to determine what position to take on this bill.

(Clicking the link above for the bill will take you to the Legislative webpage for the bill. From that page you can sign up for email alerts on the bill's status. You can also find links for proposed amendments to the bill, links to committee pages which will give notice of when the bill is to be heard in committee and which will contain audio recordings of the committee hearings a day after the hearing is held.)

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Advances to full Senate

SB43 has passed out of the Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice committee with a favorable recommendation. It will next be voted on in the full senate.

SB43's status page link.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Advances to House

SB43S1 (first Substitute) has advanced to the House having passed the Senate. The only notable change I can see from the original is that the $75k appropriation now comes from the education fund rather than the general fund.

This bill strikes me as not really dealing much with RKBA at all.

Because it continues to allow gun safety training in schools, but not mandate it, I don't think any school district is going to do the training.

The $75k to develop some curriculum looks unnecessary given the abundant and free material available from the NRA.

Not an anti-gun bill, but quite possibly a fiscally irresponsible bill.

Charles