Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 136

Thread: Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388

    Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

    Several of the folks here as wells as Students for Concealed Carry will be having a counter-protest to Moms Demand Action regarding their opposition to HB221, which would allow licensed concealed carry on college campuses and K-12 institutions.

    So far, the meeting is to be held at 9:00 A.M on Wednesday, February 17th at the Capitol building in Frankfort, KY
    We will meet at 9am to make sure we are all on the same page (i.e be level-headed, talking points, etc) and then move to where Moms Demand Action will be. This pre-meeting will be at the Floral Clock and we will move indoors later.
    Moms Demand Action will be arriving at the Time Capsule at 10am.

    A private, second and just as important meeting will be at 2pm. Message me for details or email me at green_lightning@startmail.com and I will coordinate who will be leading these event with me. Consensus so far is that Students for Concealed Carry takes point on talks, but we need other leaders to hit other aspects.

    700 Capitol Ave
    Frankfort KY

    For those that are unfamiliar with the area, gutshot provided great info and I am including some of it here.
    Here is a map of how to get to the capitol: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/public%20services/directions.pdf
    And here is a map of the grounds: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/public%20servi...alkingTour.pdf

    Specifically, we will be meeting at the Floral Clock. This is #8/12 area on the map of the Capitol Grounds

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12565480_10207885672315280_6168396604928044959_n.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	12958

    The sick minds got wind of HB221

    We're going to Frankfort for Advocacy Day 2016! Join us? Did you know KY HB221, which proposes changing state laws to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons on public elementary and secondary school property, is onto judiciary committee? What could possibly go wrong?
    RSVP to join us in Frankfort...

    https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandActionKY/?fref=ts

    I will be going. let's be even better organized and get together to counter-protest them
    Last edited by poetdante; 02-13-2016 at 10:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Newbie Duke Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    9

    I'm in

    I'm in. and I have minimum of four people here in the building with me that have committed to go.

    Two are female that will carry.

    I have also notified KSP to make Facilities Security aware that both groups will be on the grounds.

    I may even be able to convince a Commander with KSP in plain clothes to join us.
    Last edited by Duke Glass; 01-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Look the stuff they wrote about us on the 16th visit to Convington. We wish to avoid giving them any ammunition that can be used to portray us in a less than ideal light. I've been calling the same reps 3 times each week until they call me back on the bill, so maybe I can finally talk to the ones who have dropped that ball.

    Signage? They'll be out in force (probably) with matching bright colors and cameras on them. what can we do to beat them at their own game?

    Also, odd how I didn't get any emails regarding this despite signing up. Wonder if they have some magical program? Maybe move to discuss things in email/private messages as there was speculation that they had folks knowing we were coming to the Covington one and maybe they read this forum
    Last edited by poetdante; 01-27-2016 at 03:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Take vids an audio .... should be fun.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    All I have is my gopro but it can record for 2-4 hours


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    Signage? They'll be out in force (probably) with matching bright colors and cameras on them. what can we do to beat them at their own game?
    Dress nicely relative to the fact you'll be at the state capitol? I'm no elitist and certainly not a fashion plate myself, but those hallways and rooms are not the place for camouflage and cut-offs. Again I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be flip.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Best of luck to you folks.

    I agree with what has been said about appearance: If we want people who watch the news to see us as day-to-day folks going about their lives WHILE CARRYING, why not dress up in business casual, somewhat casual, or even Sunday best? Dispel that myth of the "Old, racist, puppy-kicking white guy in camo". I figure, if the antis are intentionally NOT including you in the camera frame, it's because you don't fit their stereotype.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Dress nicely relative to the fact you'll be at the state capitol? I'm no elitist and certainly not a fashion plate myself, but those hallways and rooms are not the place for camouflage and cut-offs. Again I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be flip.
    Wearing camo in the city is like wearing a three piece suit in the forest. I never quite understood it, beyond its apparent symbolism in protests, I mean.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    I am getting as many students for Students for concealed carry to be there as well. No word back on our supporters who is coming given Wednesday mornings at 9am are usually when classes are held.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    We're going to Frankfort for Advocacy Day 2016! ...
    What form does the Lying Mommies "Advocacy Day" take, and what is your suggestion for what "we" do as counter-actions?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    I'm guessing they will be having signs and standing outside like they have been known to do? My main goal is to go out and show that they are not the only voice on the issue. If we can get actual students and parents there saying they support the bill, the legislators might have a harder time answering to the people on why the bill was not even heard. My hope anyway

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    I for one am quite interested in meeting with people face-to-face. That being said:

    Goals? What do we wish to accomplish in addition to what has been said before? For me,
    Be a counter-voice to the lies spoken against this bill
    Get to meet each other and know we are not alone in the fight
    Show the public that we're not all "buba's with beer bellies and shotguns" or "armchair commandos".

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    I for one am quite interested in meeting with people face-to-face. That being said:

    Goals? What do we wish to accomplish in addition to what has been said before? For me,
    Be a counter-voice to the lies spoken against this bill
    Get to meet each other and know we are not alone in the fight
    Show the public that we're not all "buba's with beer bellies and shotguns" or "armchair commandos".
    Yes.

    While you do want to counter their lies, remember that MAD mommies appeals to feelings; however sound your argument is, they will respond with emotional rhetoric. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to break through the emotion shell or sprinkle your logical arguments with a bit of the emotion. They, however, forego reason in favor of pulling at the heart strings ("Won't someone please think of the children!").

    Networking is important. Finding passionate individuals to get the ball rolling is how grassroots movements begin. Not only that, but there might be some disheartened individuals out there who may be spurred to action by seeing your cheerful, rational group.

    MAD mommies wants to further the tired stereotype of the fat, old, racist, inbred, white man. They tend to get thrown for a loop (and try to keep the camera from panning in your direction) when you are disproving the stereotype. A group of ethnically-diverse athletic, young men AND women is their camera Kryptonite.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 01-28-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Oh yah. I am guessing that is why my picture with the speakers at the last meeting were not put up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Yes.

    While you do want to counter their lies, remember that MAD mommies appeals to feelings; however sound your argument is, they will respond with emotional rhetoric. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to break through the emotion shell or sprinkle your logical arguments with a bit of the emotion. They, however, forego reason in favor of pulling at the heart strings ("Won't someone please think of the children!").

    Networking is important. Finding passionate individuals to get the ball rolling is how grassroots movements begin. Not only that, but there might be some disheartened individuals out there who may be spurred to action by seeing your cheerful, rational group.

    MAD mommies wants to further the tired stereotype of the fat, old, racist, inbred, white man. They tend to get thrown for a loop (and try to keep the camera from panning in your direction) when you are disproving the stereotype. A group of ethnically-diverse athletic, young men AND women is their camera Kryptonite.
    well said...
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Well, I guess I won't come them. I am a bubba with a beer belly.
    I said "not all". We're wanting to show our "diversity", it's what the left-wing nut jobs like, right? If you don't come we might be short our "bubba" category. If someone can come with a drop-leg holster...

    But seriously, a mix of open and conceal carry might be nice?
    Last edited by poetdante; 01-28-2016 at 09:39 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Now that I live in Lexington, it's much easier and cost effective for me to make my flamboyant presance felt. I think I'll mark my calender to attend this meeting. I'll probably wear my pink jungle cammie pants, maybe OC my Pink camo BP revolver. And as for emotional speeches, I could speak about how I was bullied, and tortured for being the gay redneck growing up and in public schools, or how being an armed, open carrying member of the LGBT has protected me against people like WBC, or bigoted people who look to start a fight. I mean how effective would some soccer moms' speech be against a LGBT person standing and speaking FOR concealed carry in schools?

    Thats why the Gun community should reach out to use LGBT folk who own and carry guns, we can be the gun community's 'trump card' when the antis want to play emotions.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  17. #17
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    well yea, I support trump, and look forward to him being our next president. Why pick the lesser of two evils when you can pick the greatest of evils.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Now that I live in Lexington, it's much easier and cost effective for me to make my flamboyant presance felt. I think I'll mark my calender to attend this meeting. I'll probably wear my pink jungle cammie pants, maybe OC my Pink camo BP revolver. ...
    I'm waiting to see this with bated breath.

  19. #19
    Newbie Duke Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    9

    Latest Information

    They just posted the new "URL"

    http://momsdemandaction.org/in-the-n...ouse-bill-221/


    PoetDante - Are you in Facebook Jail?

    I haven't heard back from Rep Moore, so I might call him again tomorrow.

    Added one more to the number I'm bringing as well

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Facebook jail? Not that I know of.

    Rep moore called me back a while ago, about a week or so after the bill was introduced. I want to speak with Owens but he still has not called back. Will try tomorrow again.

    Students for Concealed Carry will be there though there are only "maybe" commitments. Will plan on standing and talking to students at the main campus when the weather is nicer (they wont stop and talk if it isnt nice you know)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    42
    I am UofL student and will be attending (already told my professors). I just got my CCDW, but will probably be carrying my M9A3. As a full sized handgun, it's hard to conceal, but I'll probably let my jacket hang over it. As a disabled vet always accompanied by a seizure alert service dog, I tend to attract media attention when I show up to support protests. I'm not really comfortable talking to press (I had some poor experiences with reporters during the initial push into Iraq) and was wondering if we had a spokesperson designated to handle interviews and such.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Welcome to the forum !

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahareht View Post
    I am UofL student and will be attending (already told my professors). I just got my CCDW, but will probably be carrying my M9A3. As a full sized handgun, it's hard to conceal, but I'll probably let my jacket hang over it. As a disabled vet always accompanied by a seizure alert service dog, I tend to attract media attention when I show up to support protests. I'm not really comfortable talking to press (I had some poor experiences with reporters during the initial push into Iraq) and was wondering if we had a spokesperson designated to handle interviews and such.

    Hey there Ahareht! That spokesperson would be me. PM me for some more info. Basically I am the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry. We do not officially oppose or support OC, our only official care is concealed carry on campus, so the national organization supports this bill. As every other chapter is officially non-functioning right now in KY, I'm at UofL handling all the media stuff. You may have seen some of the fliers and sign-up sheets around there that I put up last week.

    Glad to have you onboard!
    Last edited by poetdante; 02-04-2016 at 08:38 AM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    52
    So when and where is this metting to happen specifically??

    . Wife and I would like to attend.
    I will also speak to my house rep to co sponsor as well as call all committee members.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Thanks for your support Ghost!

    We really should have a more concrete place to meet. I've never been to the capitol building. any suggestions?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •