• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

1970roaddog

Not that you are suggesting any such thing, but the collective "we" need to be careful not to give the Lying Mommies another photo-op that they can lie, spin and mislead about, and use as fodder to incite their members or potential members.
I carry everyday but there are also legislators that carry plus employees at the hotel that carry no change in daily routine just because they are there but it will be fun to sit in the corner booth at breakfast and watch there faces when the see staff but mostly legislators sitting down to breakfast and taking their jackets off and exposing their guns.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

poetdante

Not that you are suggesting any such thing, but the collective "we" need to be careful not to give the Lying Mommies another photo-op that they can lie, spin and mislead about, and use as fodder to incite their members or potential members.

Agreed. We must demonstrate that we are the true voice of Kentuckians and those that love Freedom. HB221 is a "freedom bill" so we want to indicate that more so than a "gun bill". Dress accordingly, so far that is all we have going for us as we don't have posters, signs, etc from SCC or NRA contacts I have reached out to.

Ahareht

So I came up with an interesting way to show my support for HB221 and hopefully raise awareness of campus carry. Instead of just carrying my empty holster when I lock my firearm up each day as I go to class, I'm going to start "carrying" a fluorescent orange dummy pistol I used to let students use when I taught defensive rifle and pistol courses. (Remember when those anti-campus carry students carried sex toys in holsters in Texas)

I cleared it with the Dean of Students as well as the Campus Police and it does not violate the deadly weapons policy. However, since calling to clarify on the rules, Campus Police have called me no less than 5 times (in less than 24 hours) I have spoken with 2 Lieutenants, a Major, and 2 Sergeants who begged me not to do it. Is it concern for campus safety you might ask? No, the reason they give is they don't want to do the extra paperwork if people call it in.

After the phone harassment, I'd just do it for spite.

Ahareht

Agreed. We must demonstrate that we are the true voice of Kentuckians and those that love Freedom. HB221 is a "freedom bill" so we want to indicate that more so than a "gun bill". Dress accordingly, so far that is all we have going for us as we don't have posters, signs, etc from SCC or NRA contacts I have reached out to.

Dante, you forget, we have my press attracting white shepherd service dog. You're right though about it being a "freedom" bill. I bled for those freedoms in 2 wars, so I like standing up for the rights I helped ensure.

poetdante

I don't see how that will really work to help the cause. Open holster protests are a great tool Students for Concealed Carry does for raising awareness. The most success I have had is approaching folks in the quad and just starting conversations while holding some info and sign-up sheets. I'll message you and we can discuss what we can do to promote the group. great job on thinking of new ideas for promoting firearm awareness and education.

Ahareht

I'll be honest, I don't really see the bill getting anywhere in the state house. If it was started in the senate, it may have a chance but it will die in the house judiciary committee. The better way of changing the policy is petioning the school itself amend their rules. This will never be accomplished if the majority of the student body still fears firearms like some evil boogeyman.

My real goal with the dummy gun is to show how little it will affect classes, if at all. I've been wearing an empty holster for 2 semesters now (I hate unthreading it from my belt every morning) and I've only had 1 student and 1 professor even mention it and both were former military. I plan on writing an Op-Ed for the paper on the whole experiment, plus I find it an easy entrance into civil discourse. When people notice something out of place they tend to inquire about it and that allows information to be spread among the student body more easily.

Importantly, I'm doing it as my own form of civil protest. I hadn't planned on mentioning "students for concealed carry" as any part of it (I'm not formally a part of the U of L chapter) but I appreciate your input on the subject.

Last edited:

poetdante

I'll be honest, I don't really see the bill getting anywhere in the state house. If it was started in the senate, it may have a chance but it will die in the house judiciary committee. The better way of changing the policy is petioning the school itself amend their rules. This will never be accomplished if the majority of the student body still fears firearms like some evil boogeyman.

My real goal with the dummy gun is to show how little it will affect classes, if at all. I've been wearing an empty holster for 2 semesters now (I hate unthreading it from my belt every morning) and I've only had 1 student and 1 professor even mention it and both were former military. I plan on writing an Op-Ed for the paper on the whole experiment, plus I find it an easy entrance into civil discourse. When people notice something out of place they tend to inquire about it and that allows information to be spread among the student body more easily.

Importantly, I'm doing it as my own form of civil protest. I hadn't planned on mentioning "students for concealed carry" as any part of it (I'm not formally a part of the U of L chapter) but I appreciate your input on the subject.

One good thing you could always do is try to CC a training/rubber model to emphasize that anyone can (as in those signs are not magic barriers) bring weapons in, legal or not. You and the rest of us choose not to because we are upstanding citizens and adhere to the code of conduct we agreed to.

As for convincing the administration, yah not going to happen. I had 200 signatures, made the news, 2 papers, and even got the Dean of Student Affairs attention. I showed that being active would not bring down a ton of bricks, keep you from graduating, etc. Yet here is what I have found: the Dean won't even speak to me without being an official Registered Student Organization, signatures for support or not. In order to be said RSO we need a faculty adviser. Each time I meet with someone who agrees to do so, there is silence for a week after our meeting then they tell me they can't do it because their boss might get angry. And these are tenured folks, chairs of departments, heads that have President Ramsey over for dinner at their house. UofL didn't listen to the thousands of students that walked out of class and had protest over the mandatory meal plan (basically you were forced to have money put on your student card for meals - any money you didn't use at the end of the semester the university got), they won't listen to us here because they have no repercussions for doing so. Even if we got enough students to care about gun rights to make their voices heard, out of tens of thousands that is still a minority and the administration can say that the "other half" has to be considered too. But maybe with 2 of us now we can get more signatures and support.

Just a few days until the rally! 9-2 is a long time. I'm sure there will be options to take turns getting lunch. any suggestions for nearby? anyone coming from Louisville can car-pool with me though I will be there all day

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'll be honest, I don't really see the bill getting anywhere in the state house. If it was started in the senate, it may have a chance but it will die in the house judiciary committee. The better way of changing the policy is petioning the school itself amend their rules. This will never be accomplished if the majority of the student body still fears firearms like some evil boogeyman. ...
Even though the bill might not go anywhere, there will be learning to be had, and contacts to be made, from the effort. Those things are useful for the next push.

Bottom line for me: the effort is worth it.

poetdante

Got this text from Moms

(1/3)Due to limited parking at the Capitol, we'll meet at the Capital Plaza Hotel, 405 Wilkinson Blvd. at 9:30 to carpool over. For those not carpooling, meet

(2/3)us at 10:00 at the Time Capsules, #s 17 and 18 on the attached map. Moms are ready to rock Frankfort with #gunsense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poetdante

One hour of free time to talk about the bill and I got 30-40 signatures supporting HB221. Wish I had more time to engage people. If I had more time to talk and proper fliers to give they could know to call their reps. Alas i only had the two signup sheets and not the fliers saying "call your reps"

poetdante

9:00 meet at the Floral Clock and move towards where they will be around 9:30 as folks come in. We want to be able to speak to everyone and make sure the goals, attitudes, and actions are clear.

I'm almost tempted to change the Clock meeting to 9:30 to avoid standing in the cold an extra 30 minutes....

ps1mhd

I'm almost tempted to change the Clock meeting to 9:30 to avoid standing in the cold an extra 30 minutes....

Sounds good to me I have to work till 3 am:(

poetdante

Sounds good to me I have to work till 3 am:(

You've been to our moms meetings before. I'm sure if you want to arrive a little later (i.e 11am) since they don't start till 10am (technically now) that would work. PM me if you need my number

Does keeping the meeting at 9:00am while Moms is making it later mean that we have better chances of getting parking spots? That's one reason I want to keep it at 9am

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
NOTE that the map is oriented SOUTH, so the Floral Clock (#8) is on the LEFT side of the capitol when looking north.

Any issues with close bridges if coming from Cincinnati?

Is it best to go I-71 to US 127 or I-75 to US 460?

Last question - I can't find St. Clair Street, so am I going to run into a closed bridge either way?

Thanks!

1970roaddog

NOTE that the map is oriented SOUTH, so the Floral Clock (#8) is on the LEFT side of the capitol when looking north.

Any issues with close bridges if coming from Cincinnati?

Is it best to go I-71 to US 127 or I-75 to US 460?

Last question - I can't find St. Clair Street, so am I going to run into a closed bridge either way?

Thanks!
Coming from Cincinnati i-75 is your best route the bridge that is closed is downtown near the Capitol but if you're coming from the interstate you will not run into it if you somehow make a wrong turn and run into the bridge the detour is clearly marked and is only about 2 blocks

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Coming from Cincinnati i-75 is your best route the bridge that is closed is downtown near the Capitol but if you're coming from the interstate you will not run into it if you somehow make a wrong turn and run into the bridge the detour is clearly marked and is only about 2 blocks.
Thanks much!

1970roaddog

Anybody who was planning on attending if you will be parking in the garages near the convention center and the capital Plaza Hotel there is an event at the convention center make sure you arrive before 9 a.m. or you may not find parking in those two garages

Animalou812

I wish that I could attend but to prior arrangements I can not. I wish you all well and looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing the stories. Carry on.