• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

poetdante

Several of the folks here as wells as Students for Concealed Carry will be having a counter-protest to Moms Demand Action regarding their opposition to HB221, which would allow licensed concealed carry on college campuses and K-12 institutions.

So far, the meeting is to be held at 9:00 A.M on Wednesday, February 17th at the Capitol building in Frankfort, KY
We will meet at 9am to make sure we are all on the same page (i.e be level-headed, talking points, etc) and then move to where Moms Demand Action will be. This pre-meeting will be at the Floral Clock and we will move indoors later.
Moms Demand Action will be arriving at the Time Capsule at 10am.

A private, second and just as important meeting will be at 2pm. Message me for details or email me at green_lightning@startmail.com and I will coordinate who will be leading these event with me. Consensus so far is that Students for Concealed Carry takes point on talks, but we need other leaders to hit other aspects.

700 Capitol Ave
Frankfort KY

For those that are unfamiliar with the area, gutshot provided great info and I am including some of it here.
Here is a map of how to get to the capitol: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/public services/directions.pdf
And here is a map of the grounds: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/public services/CapitolGroundsWalkingTour.pdf

Specifically, we will be meeting at the Floral Clock. This is #8/12 area on the map of the Capitol Grounds

12565480_10207885672315280_6168396604928044959_n.jpg

The sick minds got wind of HB221

We're going to Frankfort for Advocacy Day 2016! Join us? Did you know KY HB221, which proposes changing state laws to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons on public elementary and secondary school property, is onto judiciary committee? What could possibly go wrong?
RSVP to join us in Frankfort...

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandActionKY/?fref=ts

I will be going. let's be even better organized and get together to counter-protest them

Last edited:

Duke Glass

I'm in

I'm in. and I have minimum of four people here in the building with me that have committed to go.

Two are female that will carry.

I have also notified KSP to make Facilities Security aware that both groups will be on the grounds.

I may even be able to convince a Commander with KSP in plain clothes to join us.

Last edited:

poetdante

Look the stuff they wrote about us on the 16th visit to Convington. We wish to avoid giving them any ammunition that can be used to portray us in a less than ideal light. I've been calling the same reps 3 times each week until they call me back on the bill, so maybe I can finally talk to the ones who have dropped that ball.

Signage? They'll be out in force (probably) with matching bright colors and cameras on them. what can we do to beat them at their own game?

Also, odd how I didn't get any emails regarding this despite signing up. Wonder if they have some magical program? Maybe move to discuss things in email/private messages as there was speculation that they had folks knowing we were coming to the Covington one and maybe they read this forum

Last edited:

Brian D.

Signage? They'll be out in force (probably) with matching bright colors and cameras on them. what can we do to beat them at their own game?

Dress nicely relative to the fact you'll be at the state capitol? I'm no elitist and certainly not a fashion plate myself, but those hallways and rooms are not the place for camouflage and cut-offs. Again I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be flip.

Rusty Young Man

Best of luck to you folks.

I agree with what has been said about appearance: If we want people who watch the news to see us as day-to-day folks going about their lives WHILE CARRYING, why not dress up in business casual, somewhat casual, or even Sunday best? Dispel that myth of the "Old, racist, puppy-kicking white guy in camo". I figure, if the antis are intentionally NOT including you in the camera frame, it's because you don't fit their stereotype. ;)

Dress nicely relative to the fact you'll be at the state capitol? I'm no elitist and certainly not a fashion plate myself, but those hallways and rooms are not the place for camouflage and cut-offs. Again I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be flip.

Wearing camo in the city is like wearing a three piece suit in the forest. I never quite understood it, beyond its apparent symbolism in protests, I mean. :confused:

poetdante

I am getting as many students for Students for concealed carry to be there as well. No word back on our supporters who is coming given Wednesday mornings at 9am are usually when classes are held.

poetdante

I'm guessing they will be having signs and standing outside like they have been known to do? My main goal is to go out and show that they are not the only voice on the issue. If we can get actual students and parents there saying they support the bill, the legislators might have a harder time answering to the people on why the bill was not even heard. My hope anyway

poetdante

I for one am quite interested in meeting with people face-to-face. That being said:

Goals? What do we wish to accomplish in addition to what has been said before? For me,
Be a counter-voice to the lies spoken against this bill
Get to meet each other and know we are not alone in the fight
Show the public that we're not all "buba's with beer bellies and shotguns" or "armchair commandos".

Rusty Young Man

I for one am quite interested in meeting with people face-to-face. That being said:

Goals? What do we wish to accomplish in addition to what has been said before? For me,
Be a counter-voice to the lies spoken against this bill
Get to meet each other and know we are not alone in the fight
Show the public that we're not all "buba's with beer bellies and shotguns" or "armchair commandos".

Yes.;)

While you do want to counter their lies, remember that MAD mommies appeals to feelings; however sound your argument is, they will respond with emotional rhetoric. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to break through the emotion shell or sprinkle your logical arguments with a bit of the emotion. They, however, forego reason in favor of pulling at the heart strings ("Won't someone please think of the children!").

Networking is important. Finding passionate individuals to get the ball rolling is how grassroots movements begin. Not only that, but there might be some disheartened individuals out there who may be spurred to action by seeing your cheerful, rational group.

MAD mommies wants to further the tired stereotype of the fat, old, racist, inbred, white man. They tend to get thrown for a loop (and try to keep the camera from panning in your direction) when you are disproving the stereotype. A group of ethnically-diverse athletic, young men AND women is their camera Kryptonite.

Last edited:

poetdante

Oh yah. I am guessing that is why my picture with the speakers at the last meeting were not put up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

Yes.;)

While you do want to counter their lies, remember that MAD mommies appeals to feelings; however sound your argument is, they will respond with emotional rhetoric. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to break through the emotion shell or sprinkle your logical arguments with a bit of the emotion. They, however, forego reason in favor of pulling at the heart strings ("Won't someone please think of the children!").

Networking is important. Finding passionate individuals to get the ball rolling is how grassroots movements begin. Not only that, but there might be some disheartened individuals out there who may be spurred to action by seeing your cheerful, rational group.

MAD mommies wants to further the tired stereotype of the fat, old, racist, inbred, white man. They tend to get thrown for a loop (and try to keep the camera from panning in your direction) when you are disproving the stereotype. A group of ethnically-diverse athletic, young men AND women is their camera Kryptonite.

well said...

poetdante

Well, I guess I won't come them. I am a bubba with a beer belly.

I said "not all". We're wanting to show our "diversity", it's what the left-wing nut jobs like, right? If you don't come we might be short our "bubba" category. If someone can come with a drop-leg holster...

But seriously, a mix of open and conceal carry might be nice?

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Now that I live in Lexington, it's much easier and cost effective for me to make my flamboyant presance felt. I think I'll mark my calender to attend this meeting. I'll probably wear my pink jungle cammie pants, maybe OC my Pink camo BP revolver. And as for emotional speeches, I could speak about how I was bullied, and tortured for being the gay redneck growing up and in public schools, or how being an armed, open carrying member of the LGBT has protected me against people like WBC, or bigoted people who look to start a fight. I mean how effective would some soccer moms' speech be against a LGBT person standing and speaking FOR concealed carry in schools?

Thats why the Gun community should reach out to use LGBT folk who own and carry guns, we can be the gun community's 'trump card' when the antis want to play emotions.

DrakeZ07

well yea, I support trump, and look forward to him being our next president. Why pick the lesser of two evils when you can pick the greatest of evils.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Now that I live in Lexington, it's much easier and cost effective for me to make my flamboyant presance felt. I think I'll mark my calender to attend this meeting. I'll probably wear my pink jungle cammie pants, maybe OC my Pink camo BP revolver. ...
I'm waiting to see this with bated breath. :rolleyes:

poetdante

Facebook jail? Not that I know of.

Rep moore called me back a while ago, about a week or so after the bill was introduced. I want to speak with Owens but he still has not called back. Will try tomorrow again.

Students for Concealed Carry will be there though there are only "maybe" commitments. Will plan on standing and talking to students at the main campus when the weather is nicer (they wont stop and talk if it isnt nice you know)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk