• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

Ahareht

I am UofL student and will be attending (already told my professors). I just got my CCDW, but will probably be carrying my M9A3. As a full sized handgun, it's hard to conceal, but I'll probably let my jacket hang over it. As a disabled vet always accompanied by a seizure alert service dog, I tend to attract media attention when I show up to support protests. I'm not really comfortable talking to press (I had some poor experiences with reporters during the initial push into Iraq) and was wondering if we had a spokesperson designated to handle interviews and such.

poetdante

I am UofL student and will be attending (already told my professors). I just got my CCDW, but will probably be carrying my M9A3. As a full sized handgun, it's hard to conceal, but I'll probably let my jacket hang over it. As a disabled vet always accompanied by a seizure alert service dog, I tend to attract media attention when I show up to support protests. I'm not really comfortable talking to press (I had some poor experiences with reporters during the initial push into Iraq) and was wondering if we had a spokesperson designated to handle interviews and such.

Hey there Ahareht! That spokesperson would be me. PM me for some more info. Basically I am the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry. We do not officially oppose or support OC, our only official care is concealed carry on campus, so the national organization supports this bill. As every other chapter is officially non-functioning right now in KY, I'm at UofL handling all the media stuff. You may have seen some of the fliers and sign-up sheets around there that I put up last week.

Glad to have you onboard!

Last edited:

Ghost1958

So when and where is this metting to happen specifically??

. Wife and I would like to attend.
I will also speak to my house rep to co sponsor as well as call all committee members.

poetdante

Thanks for your support Ghost!

We really should have a more concrete place to meet. I've never been to the capitol building. any suggestions?

poetdante

[/FONT]Do you know where the MDA protest will be held? You want the two to be close together, don't you? Will they be inside or outside? Large groups have to be outside. Smaller groups usually use the rotunda of the capitol building(dead center, inside. Where the statues are). I suspect that the two groups together, will still fit inside easily.

I do not know where they are going to be specifically. I signed up for their alerts and RSVP'd to the event but so far the address is still 700 Capitol Ave. Once I know something more I'll let everyone else know. wouldn't be a bad idea for others to do so in case they have some sort of filter/block list based on names/email/zip code combinations. I don't know how much attention their protests is getting. It has not been getting "shared" or liked as much as other postings but maybe given we crashed their last party they are being more cautious and using less public means of communicating with their activists? I've got 3-4 students coming so far, and one "maybe if I can get off work".

Parking is available on the street, in front of the building, but that is a pretty good hike up the steps and across the lawn(Nos. 17, 18, 19 and 20 on the map above). The main parking garage is close by, on the east side of the "capitol annex". The annex is where the legislators and their staff have offices and where the committee meetings are held. Most of the ground level parking is reserved for legislators and staff, but there are three levels of general parking, underground. Notice the circular ramp on the map. There is another ground level parking lot on the west end of the capitol. I have had some luck finding unreserved parking space there, in the past. If you are lucky enough to find that, it is close to the west entrance to the building(where the handicapped logo is on the map). This year, it seems that more and more of the spaces are reserved. You may get lucky at one of the smaller more convenient parking spaces.

Thank you for the headsup. I will try to see if I can get anyone to carpool with me.

If the meetup is inside, take into account that everybody has to go through metal detectors. Guns are not prohibited, but it does take a little time to get through. If anyone chooses to CC, they will ask for your license and call to make sure it is valid. They may ask for a license even if you OC. Just tell them that your not carrying any concealed weapons and everything will be fine. NO KNIVES OR OTHER WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED. I HAVE EVEN HAD MY NAIL CLIPPERS CONFISCATED. Its just like boarding a airplane, except for guns and except that it is very lax. You may be waved on through or just wanded. All of this takes time, particularly for a group, all carrying guns. Arrive early. If things get too busy, they just let everybody past the metal detectors. Anybody that plans to attend might want to call ahead and arrange a meeting with their representative and senator, for later that morning. You could get to know them and express your feelings about HB 221 and other things. To make an appointment, just call 800-564-8100 and ask, by name, for your legislator's office. If you don't know who your legislator is look here:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Find%20Your%20Legislator/Find%20Your%20Legislator.html The Moms will be doing that, I am sure. This bill has enough problems without letting them have the only voice on the issue. My biggest concern is that this bill will not pass, and MDA will take credit for stopping it with this protest. I am sure they will do that. We all need to realize that this is an uphill struggle and not have excessive expectations. It is just one small skirmish, in one battle of a bigger war.

Great idea!

My suggestions for meeting places are:

1. Lincoln's statue, in the rotunda, right under the dome, inside and no need to enter the building as a group.(its in the picture on the second page of the second map). Everybody needs to see and become familiar with our center of government. This is a good opportunity. The senate is at one end and the house at the other. The supreme court is upstairs and the governor's office in in the center, sort of.
2. Outside the main entrance on the north side of the building (near #16, north is "down" on the map), could be cold or snowing.
The "Floral Clock"(#8 on the second map), if you want to meet outside and all go in together. Well know, easily found landmark.

I think poetdante should pick the spot, this is his show and he has had the most communications with MDA and has the best idea of where they will be.

The Floral Clock seems like a good idea and then move towards outside the main entrance. I'd bet that moms demand action will be meeting outside the main entrance (i.e 17 on the Capitol Guide) and move inside if possible. I want a slightly more surprised approach. no need to see us "trickling" in. I enjoyed our "pre-meeting" last time before the Convington meeting.

And if anyone ever challenges you on the fact that Moms Demand Action doesn't smear anything pro-gun or lie, well show them this https://www.facebook.com/NewHarmonyMissionaryBaptistChurchKILLS/?fref=photo

Last edited:

Sir Diealotz

We were in Frankfort over the weekend. One bridge going into the capitol is closed so just follow the detour signs if applicable.

Rusty Young Man

Glad to see this coming together. Really hate not being able to make it and make everyone's acquaintance. Please accept some well wishes from Arizona. I too await the next news with bated breath. :)

I was at the capitol last week. I was there on other business, but it was the same day that the "Right to Work" bill was being heard in committee. I got there before the committee meeting began. The hallways were packed with people opposing that bill. I mean packed. You had to push your way through the entire length of the main hallway, and that is a long hallway. Once the committee meeting started, the committee room filled up rapidly and a second room was opened for people to watch the meeting on video, then a third room had to be opened. Still, people remained in the hallways. I thought to myself, "This is the way bills get killed or passed. If the gun owners could muster just 10% of that much support/opposition we could have everything we want." Of course, the "Right to Work" bill was voted down by the committee. I think they were afraid to do otherwise. I think there might have been a lynching if it had passed.

That's the worst part: as "gun owners", we can be our own worst enemy. Why? Because talk is cheap, and actions require time, effort, and commitment. Complete opposite from "liking" something on the latest "social media" platform.:(

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Ahareht! :) Glad to have another Freedom-loving individual join.

Sir Diealotz

That might be helpful, if you told us which bridge it was. Which street or road is it on?. There are many, many bridges in and around Frankfort. Almost any route to the capitol will cross a bridge, somewhere. There are a couple of bridges in Frankfort that have been closed for years.

just follow the detour signs if applicable

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I suggest that the OP post WHEN and WHERE the meetup is to be, by modifying the initial post as necessary, as well as posting the information in the body of the thread.

1970roaddog

Take vids an audio .... should be fun.
A large group of them are staying at the Capitol Plaza hotel the night before and meeting for breakfast in the morning. What they don't know is the top 3 floors are condos (I live there part of the year) and OC as do some of the staff. The legislators stay here while in session at breakfast every morning not one of them has a problem with my gun. I can't wait to see the looks on the moms faces when there server has a gun on there side as do some of the people eating breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

poetdante

A large group of them are staying at the Capitol Plaza hotel the night before and meeting for breakfast in the morning. What they don't know is the top 3 floors are condos (I live there part of the year) and OC as do some of the staff. The legislators stay here while in session at breakfast every morning not one of them has a problem with my gun. I can't wait to see the looks on the moms faces when there server has a gun on there side as do some of the people eating breakfast.

Where did you get that info for the Moms Demand Action staying and where? I'm asking because I haven't gotten any updates for the group despite signing up with various accounts.

Updating the meeting info

1970roaddog

I live in the condos and the hotel staff told me. They all think it is funny. They are looking forward to watch them when the see my wife and I. This is a 100% OC friendly place.

Sir Diealotz

The closed bridge is called the singing bridge (marked that way on Maps) the road is st. Clair

Thank you, I'm not from Frankfort so I don't know the names of any streets going into or from the capitol building. We went to Jim's Seafood for dinner Saturday night.

Just trying to help...

1970roaddog

Where did you get that info for the Moms Demand Action staying and where? I'm asking because I haven't gotten any updates for the group despite signing up with various accounts.

Updating the meeting info
I live in the condos and the hotel staff told me. They all think it is funny. They are looking forward to watch them when the see my wife and I. This is a 100% OC friendly place The Capitol Plaza hotel

poetdante

So far here is the decision on the meet.

We will be meeting at 9am at the Floral Clock to coordinate ourselves and make sure all in attendance for the counter-protest understand we are to be cool (it will be cold that day hah!) and level-headed. We will not give Moms Demand Action anything to use against us. OC or CC is your choice. Read gutshot's posts on the procedures regarding that. At 9:20ish we will move inside where I believe the anti-group will be. Their protest lasts until 2pm, I will be there as long as they are.

Later we have a meeting just as important, but elsewhere. Message me for details. I especially need to hear from heads of organizations or leaders (8-10 total) to discuss specific topics that will be for a presentation that these people will give in a private meeting.

email me at green_lightning@startmail.com or on here and I will coordinate amongst everyone.

poetdante

gutshot, what are some good general directions for getting to the Floral Clock? Is the link to the guide/map indicating it is number 8 enough for most folks?

Brian D.

I'm always a little jealous of you Kentuckians having such an accessible capital city. Wish Columbus Ohio was as small as Frankfort. To go to our Statehouse is much more trouble, and expensive because of the big city downtown parking.

Sorry about the aside, hope your efforts to thwart MDA's nonsense is successful.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I can't wait to see the looks on the moms faces when there server has a gun on there side as do some of the people eating breakfast.
Not that you are suggesting any such thing, but the collective "we" need to be careful not to give the Lying Mommies another photo-op that they can lie, spin and mislead about, and use as fodder to incite their members or potential members.