• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016:SB610 Concealed handguns; recognition of out-of-state permits.

TFred

Senator Bryce Reeves' legislation to require Virginia to recognize all other states' permits passed out of the Senate's Courts of Justice committee today.

This one bears watching, to see if it might possibly pass the full Senate with 27 votes, enough to override the certain veto by the Governor.

One suggestion, if it DOES pass the Senate with 27 votes, I would hope the House of Delegates adds the "emergency" provision to enact the law immediately upon the successful override. Otherwise it will not go into effect until July 1st, leaving us without reciprocity for 3 unnecessary months.

TFred

scooter348

Hoping, praying, lighting a candle, rubbing my Buddha belly, fingers crossed, etc. Anything to help this bill become law. And, as TFred so eloquently stated, "add the emergency provision."

Repeater

McAwful 'deal' will ban so-called "State Shopping"

Oh look at the real world of GOP compromise:

Va. will once again recognize concealed carry permits from other states
Gov. Terry McAuliffe plans to announce Friday that Virginia will restore handgun reciprocity agreements with nearly all states, in a stunning reversal of firearms policy that angered Republicans and gun rights advocates across the nation.

The about-face is part of a deal that McAuliffe (D) struck with Republican leaders one month after Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) severed the right for gun owners in 25 states to have their concealed carry permits recognized in Virginia.

See, sounds pretty good so far, huh? But wait, there's more:
In exchange, Republicans will agree to some concessions, according to McAuliffe’s office and the office of House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford).

1) If an individual’s Virginia concealed-carry permit is revoked, a permit from another state will not be honored in Virginia — a practice known as “state shopping.”

2) State police must be present at all gun shows to administer background checks in private sales of guns on a voluntary basis.

3) Anyone subject to a permanent protective order for a domestic violence offence[sic] will be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the two-year life of the order.

Seems like 'groveling for privileges' -- thank you sir, may I have another?

solus

fraid, i might be tempted to contact the legislature and tell them to not negotiate or capitulate with the governor since he stuck his foot square in the dog doo but rather pass legislature circumventing his EO capability(ies).

failure to hold him accountable just means he got away with it this time and will use the same tactic again to push his way.

ipse

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
fraid, i might be tempted to contact the legislature and tell them to not negotiate or capitulate with the governor since he stuck his foot square in the dog doo but rather pass legislature circumventing his EO capability(ies).

failure to hold him accountable just means he got away with it this time and will use the same tactic again to push his way.

ipse

As would I. I don't know that it would work given the inclination of some in the governor's own party to push a negotiation especially if they already stuck their neck out so to speak.