Thread: Why real-world governments dont have the consent of the governed and why it matter

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Why real-world governments dont have the consent of the governed and why it matter

Name:  Consent-3-e1453876491468.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  6.1 KB

By Ilya Somin at The Volokh Conspiracy, January 27 at 11:00 AM

The Declaration of Independence famously states that governments\derive “their just powers from the consent of the governed.” But, sadly, this is almost never the case in the real world. If it is indeed true, as Abraham Lincoln famously put it, that “no man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent,” that principle has more radical implications than Lincoln probably intended. Few if any of those who wield government power measure up to that lofty standard.

I. Why Most Exercises of Government Power are Nonconsensual.
    [ ... ]
    [ ... ]
    II. Why it Matters.
    [ ... ]
    Ilya Somin is Professor of Law at George Mason University. His research focuses on constitutional law, property law, and popular political participation. He is the author of "The Grasping Hand: Kelo v. City of New London and the Limits of Eminent Domain" and "Democracy and Political Ignorance: Why Smaller Government is Smarter."
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-28-2016 at 05:02 AM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016