• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

re 13 y o girls and self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaitz

Banned
Several months ago there were a report in the news of a 13 y o girl who was raped in the Tacoma Lakewood area and just 2 days ago there was a report of 2 13-y-o girls subject to an attempted dragging into a yard, though the 2 13yo girls escaped the dragging.

It is strange that the school admin does not encourage the kids to wear and blow whistles and it is strange that those 13 y o girls cannot carry pepper spray legally . . .

The letter of the school admin to kids and their parents is found in a recent post at westseattleblog and there are comments which others have made to the post. I personally have made 4 different comments in different ways proposing the idea the the girls carry and blow whistles and that the prohibition on the girls being able to carry pepper spray is probably quite poor.

Whoever runs the blog apparently does not approve of my comments. Not sure why!

z

rightwinglibertarian

Several months ago there were a report in the news of a 13 y o girl who was raped in the Tacoma Lakewood area and just 2 days ago there was a report of 2 13-y-o girls subject to an attempted dragging into a yard, though the 2 13yo girls escaped the dragging.

It is strange that the school admin does not encourage the kids to wear and blow whistles and it is strange that those 13 y o girls cannot carry pepper spray legally . . .

The letter of the school admin to kids and their parents is found in a recent post at westseattleblog and there are comments which others have made to the post. I personally have made 4 different comments in different ways proposing the idea the the girls carry and blow whistles and that the prohibition on the girls being able to carry pepper spray is probably quite poor.

z

Another consequence of the unlawful meddling by the government with regards to firearms. You had children younger than that hunting deer and bear back in the day. Now it's 'unlawful' to exercise a right resulting in the horrific violation of a child and attempt at two more.

mikeyb

z

school is for learning about maths, literature, and sciences. it is not for self defense options and/or deterrents.

if I had girls near that age, I'd allow them to carry it, regardless, as long as they understood what it is for. or give the girls bear spray.

davidmcbeth

Banned
13 yo boys and girls have the same right to defend themselves as adults. ie same RKBA.

Its just that tyrannical gov't suppress this right. Not a surprise, that's what tyrants do !

Whitney

z

This has been discussed here before. Take a look at this thread.

Are your teenagers completely defenseless at school?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ur-teenagers-completely-defenseless-at-school

~Whitney

Last edited:

zaitz

Banned
This has been discussed here before. Take a look at this thread.

Are your teenagers completely defenseless at school?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ur-teenagers-completely-defenseless-at-school

~Whitney

This has obviously been partly discussed, but there are 2 additional questions that the current recent incidents bring up:

1)why is the rcw age limit at 14 when we have girls at 13 who are being raped and/or dragged?
2) why does a school principal write a letter to parents and kids about the dangers lurking and the recent incidents of harm without mentioning either whistles or pepper spray as self-defense measures?

davidmcbeth

Banned
This has obviously been partly discussed, but there are 2 additional questions that the current recent incidents bring up:

1)why is the rcw age limit at 14 when we have girls at 13 who are being raped and/or dragged?
2) why does a school principal write a letter to parents and kids about the dangers lurking and the recent incidents of harm without mentioning either whistles or pepper spray as self-defense measures?

And why do you think a school principal knows anything about self defense?

Whitney

Because some animals are more equal than others.

Case in point.
Addressing the use of deadly force by a public officer or peace officer.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/2907.pdf

~Whitney

OC for ME

HOUSE BILL 2907: NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. The legislature recognizes the invaluable contributions of law enforcement officers, who risk their own lives every day to protect our families and communities.
If this were true then there would be no innocent victims.
We hold law enforcement to a high standard in their positions of public trust and as the guardians in our communities, and the legislature applauds their efforts to show respect and compassion to all community members.
rotfl.gif

Seems a measure to counter the nitpicking that SPD is getting from the feds.

zaitz

Banned
email to Lenore about kids safety and weapons

Greetings Lenore Skenazy, or the world's worst mom!

I don't know if you have covered this topic in your blog cause I have not read all your posts yet!

Anyway, here in Seattle, it was in the news a week ago that there was an actual pair of evil-doers who attempted to drag two 13-year-old girls in a Seattle neighborhood into a yard. The kids screamed and successfully ran away. That was a happier ending than there is once in a while. Sometime last year there was a report in the news of what is alleged to be and presumably was an actual rape of a 13-year-old girl walking in the Tacoma or Lakewood area.

The attempted girl-draggings seems to be a worst case of bad behavior for that area at least over the last year.

However, some fellow apparently had been repeatedly flashing at a nearby Catholic girls school, once or twice a year. (I don't think anyone knows if the Catholic school girl flasher has been caught or has given up.)

In April 2015, komonews had one news story in which they listed a series of about 5 negative events towards the girls in schools of West Seattle. The dumb-dumbs were in 2015 acting badly towards girls of both high school and middle school ages, but the list of problems in 2015 apparently only included a groping or two, and one case of robbery at gunpoint of cash and/or a phone. As for why that part of Seattle has seemingly attracted more than its share of bad behavior, I do not know enough to guess.

On the day of the attempted girl-dragging, the principal of the school of the girls wrote a letter or note to the parents and/or kids of the school. The local "WestSeattleBlog" or westseattleblog.com included in their news coverage the principal's letter to parents and kids, in the most recent case of idiot behavior.

Anyway, there are two interesting omissions. The principal basically suggests that kids be more aware of their surroundings and "walk with a purpose." The principal recommends that the kids avoid certain parks . . . He speaks of the "uninhabited parks" of West Seattle as places the kids should avoid. If you wish, you can read the principal's recommendations at
http://westseattleblog.com/2016/01/...-home-after-8th-graders-report-being-grabbed/

(None of the news reports indicate that some of the crimes against the kids have been taking place in the parks, but perhaps the news media left that part out.)

Anyway, I wrote to the local news media and some others including school administration that they might wish to consider telling some of their girls about loud whistles and about pepper spray. (Of course, the wise state legislature makes it illegal for a 13-year-old girl to carry pepper spray. I assume the legislature thinks that the risk of a prank at school is a worse risk than a girl not being able to use pepper spray on a man who is grabbing her and has some intent to do worse than a prank.)

Anyway, at your blog, we often get to read dozens of stories of overblown fears about kid safety, but one question to consider, for you and for persons in West Seattle where there are some actual evil-doers who have grabbed girls, is would it be of help to the girls to carry whistles, pepper spray and/or knives?

About the knives . . . Seattle has a municipal code which prohibits carrying dangerous knives and lots of schools have weapons policies which would prevent a kid from having a knife. The schools can more or less protect kids mostly from assaults during school though with some regularlity we read of hazings and sexual hazings even of kids in HS or middle school and then school was often careless about protecting anyone and no weapons mean that someone being assaulted or raped in school may have little means of defense . . . Of course, the schools don't protect the kids on the way to and from school and so "kids" at risk or rape and draggings are even more likely to be unarmed than an adult.

In the last 2 weeks, there was filed serious lawsuit alleging exceptionally bad sexual hazing amounting to rape at a high school in Olympia a nearby city to Seattle and the capitol of Washington state.

I am currently suing to have the Seattle law against knife possession in public overturned on constitutional grounds. I don't know if that will end up helping any of kids who walk to and from school. Probably not. Kids and their parents in better neighborhoods don't have as much risk of girl-draggings and kids in lesser neighborhoods don't sue very much. I am not even sure what would be a reasonable policy re middle school kids and knives, but I am certain that all who wish should be armed with pepper spray and whistles.

Anyway, since I know you--Lenore--like the idea of kids being able to play in the parks, you might wish to write to Jeff Clark, who is the principal of Denny Middle school in Seattle. Perhaps between the two of you, you can find a few good recommendations that will help keep the schoolkids more safe.

z

solus

prob the same reason he posted on 16 Jan, quote: I've walked in my undies at Greenlake and/or downtown from 2012 to the present but a lot in 14 and even more in 15...unquote and on 28 Jan he posted about, quote: re 13 y o girls and self defense unquote.

ipse

Status
Not open for further replies.