• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida open carry bill shoots through house committee

hammer6

I don't know about that. In any case, Gardiner is now the only chance for this session. Portilla just said he'd kill it unless OC were taken out of the OC bill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i don't understand how one man gets so much power in a democratic republic.

ADulay

That's what I don't understand.

1000 people say we need to "New Law A". Many others say "New Law A" is good. Most everyone agrees that "New Law A" is good for Florida.

ONE GUY says "I hate it" and it's dead??

What the hell is that all about. How does one guy get that much power over the rest of the "unwashed masses"?

Can he be vetoed?

AD

77zach

That's what I don't understand.

1000 people say we need to "New Law A". Many others say "New Law A" is good. Most everyone agrees that "New Law A" is good for Florida.

ONE GUY says "I hate it" and it's dead??

What the hell is that all about. How does one guy get that much power over the rest of the "unwashed masses"?

Can he be vetoed?

AD
It's a double edged sword. This way a bunch of crap law is blocked also.

Portilla could be vetoed by Gardiner but that won't happen. With Negroen as senate president we have a chance but not until 2017.

notalawyer

Well, a couple Dems came out with like 25 proposed amendments today.

Most are silly, many would be ruled unconstitutional.

Like prohibiting a round in the chamber of an openly carried firearm, no open carry within 500 feet of a movie theater, religious institution, polling place, etc. Then the 10 round mag limit.

And a bunch of other BS. Most likely all will be defeated.

qednick

How did you solve them?

I'm sure some backdoor deals/agreements and hand shaking between him and Abbott because Strauss would never give OC time of day before they met prior to the new session last year. There was also a popular "Oust Strauss" campaign.

Bottom line is public pressure. Phone calls and emails work fine but... to me there's no substitute for good old snail mail. Sacks full of "real" mail are good at persuading legislators. So for every phone call and/or email, try and take the time (and the cost of a stamp) to send a good old fashioned snail mail letter too--not a postcard but a "real" letter! The squeaky wheel gets the most oil!

I can't help much from over here otherwise I would. I'm hoping and praying you guys get something worked out.

77zach

Props to our Speaker of the House, Steve Crusafelli. This will expose the rot in the senate some. If the senate wants credit for the SYG fix Gardiner may be willing to put OC and/or campus carry to a floor vote. There are a lot of senators who would vote yes including at least 1 Democrat.

77zach

Well, a couple Dems came out with like 25 proposed amendments today.

Most are silly, many would be ruled unconstitutional.

Like prohibiting a round in the chamber of an openly carried firearm, no open carry within 500 feet of a movie theater, religious institution, polling place, etc. Then the 10 round mag limit.

And a bunch of other BS. Most likely all will be defeated.

Gaetz submitted some amendments that kills the bill for me and I would never OC if they are part of it. The one showing the license upon demand absent a reasonable suspicion is also unconstitutional.

hammer6

Gaetz submitted some amendments that kills the bill for me and I would never OC if they are part of it. The one showing the license upon demand absent a reasonable suspicion is also unconstitutional.

i thought that was already case law from florida?

since "cc with a license is legal, the mere presence of a concealed firearm is not considered reasonable suspicion"

RANDYT

Welcome to Illinois politics, and speaker of the House Mike Madigan. The same person that stops any bill from being voted on in committee. Can decide what committee bills go to And if he doesn't like what is going on also had the power to rewrite the governing rules of the House.

He has single handedly prevented any guns bills to be voted on in committee for two years now. Supposedly he is going to allow bills out of committee this year but time will tell.

notalawyer

i thought that was already case law from florida?

since "cc with a license is legal, the mere presence of a concealed firearm is not considered reasonable suspicion"

It is for concealed carry. We changed that last year.
The same does not hold for open carry..maybe...with (at last count) 49 proposed amendments submitted this afternoon, I'm having a hard time keeping up..

randian

It is for concealed carry. We changed that last year.
The same does not hold for open carry..maybe...with (at last count) 49 proposed amendments submitted this afternoon, I'm having a hard time keeping up.
Standard liberal playbook. Overwhelm the system in hopes something sneaks through.

77zach

Standard liberal playbook. Overwhelm the system in hopes something sneaks through.
It's only Gaetz' amendments that are dangerous. The Democrat amendments will all certainly fail. Gaetz apparently had to kill his own bill in order to satisfy other republicans. An OC bill where you have to show your cwfl at the whim of a cop is no OC bill at all. It also violates the 2nd and 4th amendments.