Thread: Ohio: Watch Out! Ballot to reverse preemption of gun laws!

Boone County, KY

Ohio: Watch Out! Ballot to reverse preemption of gun laws!

Ohio: Watch Out! Ballot initiative to reverse preemption of gun laws!

What this ballot initiative would do is to reverse preemption of gun laws in Ohio and lead to a patchwork of gun laws that would vary from city to city.

Two Ohio anti-gun organizations "Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence" and "God Against Guns" along with Cincinnati councilman P.G. Sittenfeld are behind this. It should be noted that he is running for Senator, and I guess this is way of getting publicity. Sittenfeld's group plans to submit it's first 1,000 signatures by March and then have till July 6 to get 300,000.

US Senate candidate P.G. Sittenfeld pushes gun amendment

"The initiated constitutional amendment would seek to reverse a 2006 state law that pre-empted local gun laws, such as concealed-weapon restrictions or assault-weapon bans, in favor of state-level regulation. At least 20 Ohio cities had some type of restriction in place that was nullified by the law, Sittenfeld said.

Jim Irvine, board president of the Buckeye Firearms Association, said the law addressed "a patchwork of laws that just made no sense." He said the ballot effort is the last option for opponents of gun rights whose views are out of step with public opinion, the Legislature and the courts. "That's why they go to this route. Because they can't win on the facts, they can't win on their twisted logic, so they'll try and win with Bloomberg's money," he said."

I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Seattle WA
    he has been suitably reprimanded

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot_20160128160212.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	12960
    Last edited by rightwinglibertarian; 01-28-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

White Oak Plantation
    Missouri is a no permit OC state and has such a exemption in our preemption statute, not the constitution thankfully, allowing a political subdivision to ban OC. Not many do outside urban areas. OC is now "legal" with a permit statewide mitigating the OC exemption if employed.

Ohio needs to be sure that this infringement is not placed in your state constitution.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    State-wide initiatives are very expensive: both the signature collection process and the political advertising. Ohio turned down marijuana legalization last November even though the pro group spent $25 million trying to get it passed. As long as Bloomberg doesn't fund this, we will be OK.

far sw corner of stark co. OH.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they have already contacted that narcisistic scumbag for help with funding BEFORE they went public w/ their agenda!