• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

the use of force bill 2016

zaitz

Banned
http://app.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.040

NOTES:
Legislative recognition: "The legislature recognizes that RCW 9A.16.040 establishes a dual standard with respect to the use of deadly force by peace officers and private citizens, and further recognizes that private citizens' permissible use of deadly force under the authority of RCW 9.01.200, 9A.16.020, or 9A.16.050 is not restricted and remains broader than the limitations imposed on peace officers."

Ok, this seems very interesting . . . It seems that an ordinary citizen who is not a police person has the power to use deadly force to arrest or retain custody of a felon, to resist the commission of a felony against himself, when there is reasonable grounds to believe that someone has the design of committing a felony such as to rape or rob or kidnap,

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

In other words, "Stop or I will shoot" may be done with felons and those about to attempt certain felonies, it appears. Perhaps even less than that in some cases.

the law as it relates to police states that local police agencies have the power to give more restrictive instructions to their police than "Stop or I will shot," etc . . .

the officer has to give some warning . . . there seems to be no warning requirement in the law for ordinary persons . . .

zaitz

Banned
RCW 9A.16.040
Justifiable homicide or use of deadly force by public officer, peace officer, person aiding.

(c) When necessarily used by a peace officer or person acting under the officer's command and in the officer's aid:

(2) In considering whether to use deadly force under subsection (1)(c) of this section, to arrest or apprehend any person for the commission of any crime, the peace officer must have probable cause to believe that the suspect, if not apprehended, poses a threat of serious physical harm to the officer or a threat of serious physical harm to others. Among the circumstances which may be considered by peace officers as a "threat of serious physical harm" are the following:

therefore, WA's JQPublic is not acting on their own to go after the BG but under the nice LE's command AND in their aid.

ipse

Use of force—When lawful.
The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:
(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

zaitz

Banned
ZAITZ, your lack of intellectual integrity is showing as you failed to quote the whole paragraph 4 and only provided partial information on what you felt suited your purpose.

not playing, so enjoy...

ipse

edited to eliminate Mr. Hayes confusion, thus assuring my comment is directed to the appropriate individual.

For what it matters, accusing me of lying, lacking in integrity or misrepresenting things is usually false, and my response is to pray for you that God show you the right way.

Freedom1Man

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide—By other person—When justifiable.
Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:
(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or
(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

There

solus

Use of force—When lawful.
The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:
(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

see my comment to freedom1man...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

For what it matters, accusing me of lying, lacking in integrity or misrepresenting things is usually false, and my response is to pray for you that God show you the right way.

Ok, this seems very interesting . . . It seems that an ordinary citizen who is not a police person has the power to use deadly force to arrest or retain custody of a felon, to resist the commission of a felony against himself, when there is reasonable grounds to believe that someone has the design of committing a felony such as to rape or rob or kidnap,

In other words, "Stop or I will shoot" may be done with felons and those about to attempt certain felonies, it appears. Perhaps even less than that in some cases.

the law as it relates to police states that local police agencies have the power to give more restrictive instructions to their police than "Stop or I will shot," etc . . .

the officer has to give some warning . . . there seems to be no warning requirement in the law for ordinary persons . . .

RCW 9A.16.040
Justifiable homicide or use of deadly force by public officer, peace officer, person aiding.

(c) When necessarily used by a peace officer or person acting under the officer's command and in the officer's aid:

(2) In considering whether to use deadly force under subsection (1)(c) of this section, to arrest or apprehend any person for the commission of any crime, the peace officer must have probable cause to believe that the suspect, if not apprehended, poses a threat of serious physical harm to the officer or a threat of serious physical harm to others. Among the circumstances which may be considered by peace officers as a "threat of serious physical harm" are the following:

therefore, WA's JQPublic is not acting on their own to go after the BG but under the nice LE's command AND in their aid.

ipse

to answer you...you misread the statute complete and in the second quote left our pertinent details, such as 'at the direction of the nice police officer & it is the nice LE who believes deadly force is warranted.

later...

ipse

sudden valley gunner

To be fair we need to also take in .o20 and .030 for a fuller picture.

It does grant civilians greater degree of use of force as should be, since cops are constitutionally restricted in acting in their duties.

In practice prosecutors use the wording to never prosecute bad cops.

decklin

freedom, this is the get out of jail card for your SD defense cases (...in his or her presence or company...) not something about your chasing someone down the street shooting at them.

ipse

That really depends on how you read it. Perhaps I'm wrong but when I read that RCW it seems to me in WA state it would be legal to shoot at someone who had stolen your car.
Stealing a car is a felony. Just because he left the driveway the felony hasn't ended. He still gets arrested for a felony.
IMHO It would be legal.

Freedom1Man

That really depends on how you read it. Perhaps I'm wrong but when I read that RCW it seems to me in WA state it would be legal to shoot at someone who had stolen your car.
Stealing a car is a felony. Just because he left the driveway the felony hasn't ended. He still gets arrested for a felony.
IMHO It would be legal.
For what it is worth, I read it the same way.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

zaitz

Banned
IMHO It would be legal.

I tend to think you are right, if you can make the claim that shooting him or shooting at him is part of your arresting him . . .

Note that there is a difference between what is required of ordinary persons and the law enforcement officers and one of the differences is that the rcw specifically says the officer must warn first and the rcw does not say that of ordinary persons . . .

zaitz

Banned
to answer you...you misread the statute complete and in the second quote left our pertinent details, such as 'at the direction of the nice police officer & it is the nice LE who believes deadly force is warranted.

later...

ipse

If you wish, direct my or quote completely the post of mine in which you are claiming that I left out pertinent details.

Till then, I am praying that God show you the right way.

z

solus

If you wish, direct my or quote completely the post of mine in which you are claiming that I left out pertinent details.

Till then, I am praying that God show you the right way.

z

as i have quoted numerous times on this forum when others have offered...to quote twain:

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

do me a favor and please keep the unsubstantiated, emotionalized concepts to your self as they have no bearing on the subject at hand.

ipse

Last edited:

zaitz

Banned
as i have quoted numerous times on this forum when others have offered...to quote twain:

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

do me a favor and please keep the unsubstantiated, emotionalized concepts to your self as they have no bearing on the subject at hand.

ipse

If you wish me to believe your claim that I have misrepresented something, please show me exactly what I posted as well as what you allege should have been included . . .

till then, but, tis the Bible way, to pray for those who are irritating . . . and as best I can determine, you are falsely accusing me . . . and . . . so . . . therefore . . . I pray that God show you the right way!

You don't regard me as any sort of person you might respect or reply to with clarity, it seems.

At this point, there are 3 persons who have read the RCW and who are substantially agreed that it permits the use of force, including perhaps deadly force, in a fellow who has just stolen "your" car as part of "arresting" him.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.020; (2)

this part is not speaking of a peron acting under the direction and supervision of a law enforcement person, but of an individual such as you or me or freedomman or others, who experience a guy who steals a car or robs me or you of a wallet at gunpoint or knifepoint.

Of course, I don't know if any case in which a person who is not a police person has done this and then made this argument in the courts . . . we do know of two cases in which a person killed another person who was assaulting him and was freed by the courts on the grounds that Washington state was a stand-your-ground state, not by legislation, but by court ruling that no one has to leave an area due to some threat or attack upon him and he has the right to use necessary force to remain there . . .

zaitz

Banned
another factor to be considered as perhaps adding to the desire for this bill was the lawsuit against Bothell for a pd officer chasing a guy in a stolen car . . . the guy who had stolen the car then hit and killed a person in Everett as he was trying to escape the police . . . Bothell police then claimed that perhaps they should not have been pursuing him . . . maybe the bad guy was only a car thief and not really dangerous . . . the family of the woman killed sued and Bothell settled for $3 million . . .

solus

If you wish me to believe your claim that I have misrepresented something, please show me exactly what I posted as well as what you allege should have been included . . .

till then, but, tis the Bible way, to pray for those who are irritating . . . and as best I can determine, you are falsely accusing me . . . and . . . so . . . therefore . . . I pray that God show you the right way!

You don't regard me as any sort of person you might respect or reply to with clarity, it seems.

At this point, there are 3 persons who have read the RCW and who are substantially agreed that it permits the use of force, including perhaps deadly force, in a fellow who has just stolen "your" car as part of "arresting" him.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.020; (2)

this part is not speaking of a peron acting under the direction and supervision of a law enforcement person, but of an individual such as you or me or freedomman or others, who experience a guy who steals a car or robs me or you of a wallet at gunpoint or knifepoint.

Of course, I don't know if any case in which a person who is not a police person has done this and then made this argument in the courts . . . we do know of two cases in which a person killed another person who was assaulting him and was freed by the courts on the grounds that Washington state was a stand-your-ground state, not by legislation, but by court ruling that no one has to leave an area due to some threat or attack upon him and he has the right to use necessary force to remain there . . .

your convoluted jumbling of statutes, partially quoting only those segments you feel suit your needs and then failure to cite like your recent statement ' quote: ...we do know of two cases....unquote.

no my statement about your intellectual integrity appears to be still valid as you have just proven, once again, and since since you persist...

please find someone who believes the myth to impress with your rhetoric.

ipse

Alpine

Anyone else see this in the press from the cops opposed to this bill?

But Barker, of WASPC, who worked in law enforcement for four agencies over 33 years, said there already is a remedy when police officers make a mistake: civil litigation to recover monetary damages.

“But it doesn’t make them a criminal,” he said, asserting the bill stems from an undercurrent of “Let’s find a way” to charge a police officer.

Uh, if it's worth suing over then why isn't it worth criminal charges?

zaitz

Banned

I am reading the king5 article . . .

when I saw the news at this blog on the bill, I sent an email 2 days ago to some of the news tips emails for some of the local news media and it seems that someone decided to follow up on the story.

z

sudden valley gunner

Yea disgusting the way they want to treat themselves as special.

They also reported the current laws are enough to get rid of "bad apples"....I about vomited on that commit.....simply is not true.