• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sign law??

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I bolded above...

If you are at a meeting conducted by, or on the property owned, operated or managed etc... its not just about meetings, its also about "or on the property"
Your interpretation would render the term "meetings" superfluous. And you are ignoring the comma.
prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned,
"Or on the property" means not only the meeting proper, but also on the property in which the meeting is being held.

cjohnson44546

Your interpretation would render the term "meetings" superfluous. And you are ignoring the comma.
"Or on the property" means not only the meeting proper, but also on the property in which the meeting is being held.

no... you are misreading it. I'll say it a different way...

An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity can post property that they own, operate, manage or have control of. Also if they are conducting a meeting in any area which they don't own, operate, manage or have control of, they can still post signs that have force of law over their meeting.

No I don't agree that the law is good in any way shape or form, its really stupid... but thats what it says. Its not about meetings only.

OC for ME

Is it possible that the meeting clause is not dependent on the property clause? For example. A business holds a meeting off site from its private property and excludes firearms.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
no... you are misreading it. I'll say it a different way...

An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity can post property that they own, operate, manage or have control of. Also if they are conducting a meeting in any area which they don't own, operate, manage or have control of, they can still post signs that have force of law over their meeting.

No I don't agree that the law is good in any way shape or form, its really stupid... but thats what it says. Its not about meetings only.
39-17-1359(a) (1) Except as provided in § 39-17-1313, an individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.
No, you are misreading the sentence. And yes the knuckles of the authors of this sentence should be slapped. Slapped so hard their knuckles bleed. But, the sentence actually says in simple terms:
An individual, or agent thereof, is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property of, the individual.
This is the only way this mishmash of words can be assembled to have any cognizable meaning.

The “Individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity” in the first half of the sentence equals or is the same as the “individual, corporation, business entity or government entity” in the second part of the sentence. So, for simplification the term “individual” is used to represent all those other groups.

The phrase “operated, or managed or under the control of” expands who has authority over the “property owned.” All this phrase does is clarify or defines geographically what encompasses the “meeting” area.

This is the only way this sentence can be diagrammed to have any meaning. And this is why there is no case law addressing this statute.

Even the title of the statute "Prohibition at certain meetings Posting notice." is telling, "certain meetings." If someone can come up with the legislative history of the statute that gives an interpretation other than mine, then I stand behind my understanding of the statute. And I would go to court and defend my understanding.

Now, I'm done....

cjohnson44546

Guess that would have to be argued in court.... plenty of case law of people getting $500 charges under this statute for any posted property regardless of meetings to probably back my reading of it though. My reading is also how the HCP instructors teach it.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Guess that would have to be argued in court.... plenty of case law of people getting $500 charges under this statute for any posted property regardless of meetings to probably back my reading of it though. My reading is also how the HCP instructors teach it.
Case law??? What case law. No case law that I can find. Would you please cite a court of appeals addressing the statute or your supreme court addressing this statute. I would like to read it.