Thread: Dad takes daughter's phone away as punishment - goes to trial (misdemeanor case)

Banned

Dad takes daughter's phone away as punishment - goes to trial (misdemeanor case)

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime...hone/79355512/

What is wrong with prosecutors? They have sawdust for brains in this case.

[The mother] "Michelle Steppe is married to a Grand Prairie police officer." They claim, of course, that anyone would have been given the same police service.

That said, while I agree that the father had the right to take the phone as discipline while his daughter was in his custody, it does seem like he should have later given it to the mother, as she is the one who bought it for the daughter.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

This guy is an idiot... and he shouldn't have been found not guilty.

1. His daughter did not live with him, he was re-conecting with her.
    2. The Mom (which he was never married to) owned the cell phone.
    3. years later he STILL has the phone and will not give it back!

If he wanted to take it away from his daughter for some punishment reason when they were together... fine, then give it back to the mother, tell her what happened... she's the primary guardian of the child. This guy is all kinds of stupid... but I have no idea how he couldn't be found guilty of theft when he keeps the phone that is not his, or his daughters.

The whole family sound like a bunch of losers.
    Daughter is at dads. Dad finds inappropriate texts. Takes phone.
    Daughter calls mom. Mom calls cops.
    Dad apparently keeps phone afterwards. Probably out of spite.
    Dad ignores kid till age seven. Four years later calls it quits.
    Moms nuts. Dads a deadbeat. Daughters in for a dim future.

The only appropriate thing here was initially taking the phone and refusing to give it to the cops. He should have returned the phone to the mom when the daughter went home.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Banned
    Cops are not judges. What proof did they have that the mom owned the phone, first off. Nothing.

2nd...this is a civil matter, not criminal.

3rd ... gov't should keep out of family affairs

4th...(tangent) ... there should not the crime of "domestic assault" or similar charges ... assault and battery covers this..its just more laws passed to take away our freedoms. Why should it matter if you hit Joe Blow or your spouse? Now, they'll take away your RKBA in only one of those circumstances....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ...What proof did they have that the mom owned the phone, first off. ....
    Did the man not admit to that?

Who bought it would likely be very easy to prove with the phone number and serial number. Phones are "registered!"
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-01-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Dad takes daughter's phone away as punishment - goes to trial (misdemeanor case)

Dad paying child support? DA upped the ante by moving to Class B misdemeanor - but did not make the case? Obviously more back-story here. Wd like to see a pic of Mom and Daughter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 02-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651