Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Obama's 4 Jan EO directs Pentagon to develop safer guns, smart guns.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Obama's 4 Jan EO directs Pentagon to develop safer guns, smart guns.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rects-pentago/

    But in President Obama’s first foray into small-arms procurement for the armed forces, his Jan. 4 executive order on gun control directs the Pentagon to find ways to make not so much more lethal firearms, but safer ones.
    [ ... ]
    “Obama comes along and tells the Army that, in this administration, money is going into small arms to build — not a deadly weapon, not an effective weapon, not a dominant weapon, not a lifesaving weapon, not a technological cutting-edge weapon — but a weapon that prevents accidental discharge.
    [ ... ]
    A White House fact sheet states: “The Presidential Memorandum directs the departments to conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology that would reduce the frequency of accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms, and improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns. Within 90 days, these agencies must prepare a report outlining a research-and-development strategy designed to expedite the real-world deployment of such technology for use in practice.”

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...e-and-make-our

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...gun-technology

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rects-pentago/

    I pray we survive The Year of The Lame Duck so that we may have a chance to clean up this mess.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rects-pentago/

    But in President Obama’s first foray into small-arms procurement for the armed forces, his Jan. 4 executive order on gun control directs the Pentagon to find ways to make not so much more lethal firearms, but safer ones.
    [ ... ]
    “Obama comes along and tells the Army that, in this administration, money is going into small arms to build — not a deadly weapon, not an effective weapon, not a dominant weapon, not a lifesaving weapon, not a technological cutting-edge weapon — but a weapon that prevents accidental discharge.
    [ ... ]
    A White House fact sheet states: “The Presidential Memorandum directs the departments to conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology that would reduce the frequency of accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms, and improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns. Within 90 days, these agencies must prepare a report outlining a research-and-development strategy designed to expedite the real-world deployment of such technology for use in practice.”

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...e-and-make-our

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...gun-technology

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rects-pentago/

    I pray we survive The Year of The Lame Duck so that we may have a chance to clean up this mess.
    Just because Obama says his "executive orders" are legal does not make them legal. Read more.
    Last edited by since9; 02-02-2016 at 03:21 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    What we need is smarter people. Oh yeah, if we had that the Bushs, Clinton, Obama, etc would never have been elected and the Sanders would never even make it on the ballet.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    And this will take the place of the program to change the missile launch codes from 0000000 ?

    In battle, your dead buddy won't mind you taking his rifle and using it.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And this will take the place of the program to change the missile launch codes from 0000000 ?
    By what ridiculously moronic bastardization of illogic did you ever arrive at the unbelievably libtardic brain-fart that "the missile launch codes from 0000000..." had the slightest association with reality?

    Either explain yourself, in full, or prepare yourself for full exposure as an ****** ***** trying to masquerade as anyone who has the slightest clue.

    Seriously, DMB, I and many others here on this forum am sick and tired of your incessant and ridiculously idiotic nonsense. Had you been a member on any of the dozen forums on which I moderated over the last 29 years, you'd have been dirt, dead, dusted, destroyed, and ashes in the first week.

    Moderators of "modern" forums have grown WAY too soft.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-02-2016 at 07:07 AM. Reason: personal insult
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    What we need is smarter people.
    Agreed.

    Let's start by vetting opinions here not on the basis of verbosity or eloquence of argument, but instead on the basis of validity. I firmly believe Qui-Gon Jinn's quote, "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" applies on this forum. Some folks here are incredibly eloquent while simultaneously being incredibly stupid.

    Society as a whole will be far better served by those who resist the urge to fall in love with their own words while instead getting the damned job done.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    By what ridiculously moronic bastardization of illogic did you ever arrive at the unbelievably libtardic brain-fart that "the missile launch codes from 0000000..." had the slightest association with reality?

    Either explain yourself, in full, or prepare yourself for full exposure as an ****** ******* trying to masquerade as anyone who has the slightest clue.

    Seriously, DMB, I and many others here on this forum am sick and tired of your incessant and ridiculously idiotic nonsense. Had you been a member on any of the dozen forums on which I moderated over the last 29 years, you'd have been dirt, dead, dusted, destroyed, and ashes in the first week.

    Moderators of "modern" forums have grown WAY too soft.
    Obviously DMC was being sarcastic.

    Some draw the line at a differents place. That doesn't imply softness, but tolerence..............up to a point.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-02-2016 at 07:06 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Obviously DMC was being sarcastic.

    Some draw the line at a differents place. That doesn't imply softness, but tolerence..............up to a point.
    The launch code was all zeros.

    It was to better insure that those pushing the launch buttons were more able to do it. There was a history special that covered this.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  9. #9
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Obama's 4 Jan EO directs Pentagon to develop safer guns, smart guns.

    And our military can use these safer weapons?
    Last edited by lockman; 02-02-2016 at 07:58 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Agreed.

    Let's start by vetting opinions here not on the basis of verbosity or eloquence of argument, but instead on the basis of validity. I firmly believe Qui-Gon Jinn's quote, "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" applies on this forum. Some folks here are incredibly eloquent while simultaneously being incredibly stupid.

    Society as a whole will be far better served by those who resist the urge to fall in love with their own words while instead getting the damned job done.
    Beware the categorical imperative; "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law." (Kant, Immanuel Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals 1785)

    IOW Three fingers of the accusatory fist accuse the accuser. J'accuse!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Originally Posted by Grapeshot Obviously DMC was being sarcastic.

    Some draw the line at a differents place. That doesn't imply softness, but tolerence..............up to a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    The launch code was all zeros.

    It was to better insure that those pushing the launch buttons were more able to do it. There was a history special that covered this.
    Oh my.

    Thought I was wrong once, but now find out I was only mistaken.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Oh my.

    Thought I was wrong once, but now find out I was only mistaken.
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/nucle...n_4386784.html



    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    He should require secret service to carry these first.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    He should require secret service to carry these first.
    Better yet, he himself should test this one ..


  15. #15
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    By what ridiculously moronic bastardization of illogic did you ever arrive at the unbelievably libtardic brain-fart that "the missile launch codes from 0000000..." had the slightest association with reality?

    Either explain yourself, in full, or prepare yourself for full exposure as an ****** ***** trying to masquerade as anyone who has the slightest clue.

    Seriously, DMB, I and many others here on this forum am sick and tired of your incessant and ridiculously idiotic nonsense. Had you been a member on any of the dozen forums on which I moderated over the last 29 years, you'd have been dirt, dead, dusted, destroyed, and ashes in the first week.

    Moderators of "modern" forums have grown WAY too soft.
    Dude, have a snickers.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  16. #16
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195

    Cool

    Its easy to make a safe gun.. just make it like a Dune sonic gun... you have to make some stupid 'CHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!' sound while pulling the trigger or it won't shoot...


  17. #17
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    dude, have a snickers.
    ...snickers®...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  18. #18
    Regular Member DeSchaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    604
    There's really nothing to worry about here. Since this is a DOD directed program, it will take 15 to 20 years, cost a couple billion taxpayer dollars, and produce nothing more than a slingshot.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

  19. #19
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    There's really nothing to worry about here. Since this is a DOD directed program, it will take 15 to 20 years, cost a couple billion taxpayer dollars, and produce nothing more than a slingshot.
    ...with biometric features to mitigate accidental activation of the firing mechanism...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Sorry, but one HuffingGasPost article does not trump reality. The history of nuclear surety, where "Materiel, personnel, and procedures that contribute to the security, safety, and reliability of nuclear weapons and to the assurance that there will be no nuclear weapon accidents, incidents, unauthorized weapon detonations, or degradation in performance at the target" dates back to Trinity, the July 16, 1945 test conducted as part of the Manhattan Project at Alamogordo. Specifically, in March 1944, planning for the test was assigned to Kenneth Bainbridge, a professor of physics at Harvard University, working under explosives expert George Kistiakowsky. Bainbridge's group was known as the E-9 (Explosives Development) Group. Stanley Kershaw, formerly from the National Safety Council, was made responsible for safety.

    You can read more about the Permissive Action Link, here, which makes the claim that, "Permissive Action Links were developed in the United States over a gradual process from the first use of atomic weapons to the early 1960s."

    Nor do I agree with Stein and Feaver's claims.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •