• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun crazy LTE in the Free Lance-Star Today

TFred

LTE from one of our local gun hating nuts.

Needs much more response!

As usual, he twists the truth, carefully crafting statements that are completely misleading.

TFred

Letter: Gun control article was misleading

In a recent news article [“Area gun owners, dealers call Obama’s new gun-control measures ‘grandstanding,’” Jan. 6] published by The Free Lance–Star, a gun dealer said that there is no gun show loophole, there are no gun sales online and guns can’t be shipped by mail.

In this emotionally charged issue, it does not help when the newspaper publishes such falsehoods in the guise of news.

You can purchase a gun online, people can avoid checks through non-licensed gun sellers at gun shows and online, and you can get a gun through the mail if you have a federal license.

[...]​

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A lie repeated often enough.........

Balanced, unbiased reporting to the Star would seem to be not tripping over the inconvenient truth.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A lie repeated often enough.........

Balanced, unbiased reporting to the Star would seem to be not tripping over the inconvenient truth.

Sometimes ya gotta embrace an untruth and show that this is a good thing. Even if true, it would be a good thing.

Gov't has no business knowing what guns you own. My own state's governor said that due to the assault weapons registration (that only idiots complied with) information that cops would respond differently to call at a house that they knew (or believed) had a gun. So your 15 yr old having a loud party may just be visited by a swat team. Enjoy.

Maverick9

TFred,

I suspect the letter writer was recounting what he imagined to be true and using half-truths. You CAN buy a firearm online but you can't personally receive it unless you have a FFTL. Now, he'd not have been untruthful if he just said you can buy and receive but left off the part about a license.

So the letter writer is being both fanciful and disingenuous.

Someone should write in and challenge him to do both and video it (one reporter did that trying to be an automatic and couldn't).

Last edited:

TFred

TFred,

I suspect the letter writer was recounting what he imagined to be true and using half-truths. You CAN buy a firearm online but you can't personally receive it unless you have a FFTL. Now, he'd not have been untruthful if he just said you can buy and receive but left off the part about a license.

So the letter writer is being both fanciful and disingenuous.

Someone should write in and challenge him to do both and video it (one reporter did that trying to be an automatic and couldn't).
The guy is a regular participant in the gun-hating community. He gets called out on every false thing he says, but of course truth means nothing to these types.

He is a frequent commenter under the name "Cyber Bullies Stink".

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
Those gun-nuts. I think they're against socially-responsible and law-abiding citizens interested in being able to defend themselves, their homes and their families because they, themselves, are violent and lawless people. They want to promote an environment in which criminals have a better-than even chance because they are criminals themselves, and live in a world in which everyone's back is scratched by reduced risk of being caught in one's own peccadilloes. They have a personal interest in taking away the things that obstruct evil.