• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy intro and a question.....

Nomak

Just wanted to say hello and share a concern....

I am a lifetime Michigan guy and believe it or not I like it here. Live in Brighton and work at Ford in Dearborn.

I have been a CC guy since MI became shall issue. That being said..... I have recently taken an interest in OC. I did some reading on this site and others, then I took the leap around 10 days ago and started to OC.

For the most part I have had no problems or issues...... I ran across one LEO at the FedEx office here in Brighton, he looked right at my sidearm then looked up at me... smiled and said hello.

I did distress one Woman at Meijer. I am convinced she was calling 911 as I was leaving. No clue if she actually was though, I was on my way out and drove off.

Then yesterday I went to Kroger for around 6 or 7 items. It was around 4pm and being a weekend it was very very busy. Honestly I think I had sensory overload. Being new to OC I am trying very hard to have good SA. I found watching the 10 people at the deli counter to be stressful while I waited for my number to be called. Moreover, every isle I walked down had 6-8 people in it. I was watching people and trying to keep a decent amount of personal space. I found this environment to be very stressful while OC'ing. There was one big guy with his wife and child..... he was no doubt pissed off that I was OC and was bitching at his wife about it. He did not confront me or say a word to me, so I thought it best to let it go unless he spoke to me. He didn't. Still..... it added discomfort to what I felt was an already stressful trip.

The stressful experience at Kroger was enough to make me question if OC is for me. As I was walking out I was thinking that the same shopping trip would be much easier CC...... no stress.

Has anyone else felt this way? Is feeling this pressure normal or is OC perhaps just not for me? All thoughts and experiences are of course welcome but please refrain from flaming the new guy :)

Thanks...... Dave

davidmcbeth

Banned
You did not distress that woman. Sounds like a state of mind. Which you cannot affect.

Go ahead and try to say in court "she was scared"...it would objected to and the objection sustained.

Welcome to the forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes many (most?) people go through the same newbie jitters and paranoia. It will pass in time as you gain more experience and confidence.

Try pairing up with an old hand and follow his/her lead.

Welcome to our world - enjoy.

DeSchaine

Grape is right. Apprehension when you first start OC'ing is normal. I had it when I started out doing it a couple years ago. The more you do it though, the more you see that most people don't even notice that you have it on. I'm certainly not as experienced as a lot of others here, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that most people are only concerned with themselves and thats it. It's a hyper aware minority (referred to around here as Anti's) that notice us. They're looking for it. They thrive on making other peoples lives difficult. Just go about your business like you would normally and don't worry about it.

Hevymetal

Don't give up. With use comes proficiency. The more you do it the easier it becomes, until it eventually becomes 2nd nature.

There will always be naysayers. Some have an open mind and with a good concise logical explanation/discussion of you beliefs and convictions about OC, you may actually change their opinion and gain a valuable allay. Some are closed minded and ignorant and nothing will change their mind. Accept this fact and don't let it get under your skin and move on.

Always maintain a positive friendly attitude. I have been yelled and screamed at numerous times by many people for carrying a firearm. Nothing pisses them off more then saying "You have a nice/blessed day sir/mam." and simply walk away.

Take the proverbial Boy Scout attitude. It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Feeling a little uncomfortable once in a while is a small price to pay to have the ability to save not only yourself, but your family or even a complete stranger, should the need ever arise.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Take the proverbial Boy Scout attitude. It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Feeling a little uncomfortable once in a while is a small price to pay to have the ability to save not only yourself, but your family or even a complete stranger, should the need ever arise.
Franz Kafka is credited with that expression:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/33373-better-to-have-and-not-need-than-to-need-and

BSA = Be prepared.

USAF =Aim high.

USCG = Semper Paratus.

USMC = Semper Fidelis.

Nothing beats a combination of physical and mental preparedness. Do those and you can walk with confidence.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seems this OUlde Pharte remembers that every time he tried something new it came with the same sort of feeling you have in that dream about giving a 7th grade book report and discovering you forgot to wear your pants. You just "know" everybody is looking at you - and looking at you like you are some sort of 6-headed freak.

Notwithstanding all the antis who boast that what they really want to do is take your handgun away from you and shoot you, your dog, and your grandmother with it, 99 44/100ths of the folks who may actually be looking at you understand the stupidity of starting an argument with someone wearing a gun. (It has nothing to do with what you would actually do and everything to do with what they imagine you might do if they crossed some unknown line.

Most of the time I carry in a level 1 holster - form-fitting leather with nothing else to hold the handgun. I'm not worried any more of someone grabbing my gun because I have come to realize that most folks don't even see that I'm carrying. They are more likely to notice if my zipper is not pulled up all the way. (Why is the world full of perverts looking at my zipper?)

Get some more practice. Do relaxation exercises before and while OCing. Find an "OC buddy" with a little more experience with you. Each one helps one; each one teaches one.

Come back in a month and let us know how things are going.

stay safe.

OC for ME

Just wanted to say hello and share a concern....
Thanks...... Dave
Dave,

Jitters? Yes, I had them. As soon as I started to focus on the task at hand at the business I was visiting the jitters were quickly forgotten.

skidmark is quite right, most folks don't notice. Though, if you are OCing a Glock it may not be the fact that your are armed that alarms/bothers folks, but that you are armed with a Glock.

Welcome and good luck.

Nomak

Thanks for all the feedback..... It does help. I am going to stick with it and see how it goes. I do believe in OC.

No it's not a Glock lol..... Its a Ruger SR9c in a Blackhawk Serpa level 2. I also have a Springfield XD and a full size Kimber.

I would love to team up with another OC'er but I don't know any..... Hopefully that will change.

Thanks again everyone :)