• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrier Robbed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
To date, I am unaware of any civilian who has been truly disarmed, killed, or injured because they were legitimately openly carrying without a reasonable doubt as to the facts of the incident. A bare handful of stories, all with qualifiers, are used to discourage open carry. I don’t mean to sound like I’m trying to be a blind apologist, but the outliers don’t prove concealed carry is better. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages and neither is inherently superior.
And that is the bottom line. Well said.

paramedic70002

I OC exclusively, without a retention holster. Here are a few pointers (I don't pretend to be an expert, and this should only be considered advice, not instruction):

1. Always be aware of who is around you, be hyper aware of anyone in your safety zone (grocery store checkout line, crowded store), especially if they do not belong there or are acting suspiciously (pre attack indicators).

2. Always keep your gun arm over your sidearm (supposing you carry at 3:00), either hand in pocket or elbow over grip. Scan the area before reaching away from your sidearm or other activity that would expose the sidearm to a gun grab.

3. Act normally, smile, greet and make polite conversation as appropriate to make people at ease, and let any potential BGs know you are aware of them.

4. Keep moving as much as possible to avoid static environments where a BG can stage on you or work up a plan for a gun grab.

5. When you must be still, position yourself so that your sidearm is away from other people, such as against a wall, shopping cart, display stand, or one of your party.

6. If you are the victim of a gun grab, there are options. Most holsters use a snug fit to prevent unholstering. Body movement is key to prevent the draw. Place your hand/elbow/arm down hard over the BG's hand to prevent the draw. Twist your body in a way that will allow you to strike/knife/pepper spray your opponent. Fight for your life. If your gun is taken, expect to be shot.

7. Learn the methods of disarming your opponent and practice them. Videos are available on Youtube. There are classes also.

solus

paramedic, with respect, your advice, except 6 & 7, is nothing more than developed basic SA in any given situation and is good to review.

number 6: the last two sentences cover it...quote: Fight for your life. If your gun is taken, expect to be shot. unquote. yepper, the fight is lost...but telling folk to go for their knife, pepper spray, etc., distracts from the basic conceptual premise of squirming/body slamming/etc. the attacker to get them away from your firearm.

number 7: I'm sorry say what? quote: Learn the methods of disarming your opponent and practice them. Videos are available on Youtube. There are classes also. unquote
worse advice i have seen or heard...should have stopped at comment 6 and called it a day as close quarter disarming can't be learned on youtube!!

this membership has heard of how many individuals being attacked for their firearm over the years? surely not enough to warrant advising someone who has good SA to wander into the etherworld of youtube to 'learn how to disarm anybody in close quarter exercise'...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed empty hand tactics/responses must be so ingrained as to be virtually an automatic function. Lots of training, lots of practice and lots of bruises along the way.

thedevilrobyjohn

Lesson

Helpless and cowering he wanted me to be
No chance for I am the devil, you see
The criminal lies dying with my weapon , he thought
Not my primary gun, lesson taught

They are like chips and chihuahuas, one ain't enough.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The one in the your hand is the one that will make the difference.

Welcome back.

user

Accomplished Advocate

I agree, the average chihuahua ain't no more'n a snack, though the full size model was originally bred by Indians in Mexico as a source of meat (an alternative to the turkey, their only other source of animal protein). 'tswhy the little beasts are so muscular. They used 'em to pull carts as toys for children, too, but never latched onto the idea that the wheeled cart could be useful for hauling stuff. Theory is that the paths through the jungle, e.g., to the Yucatan P., are too hilly and rough for carts - hell, that's why the great god Quetzlipotchli gave 'em slaves; "We don't need no stinkin' cart to haul stuff through the jungles!", as Mocteczuma said to Cortes, when asked that particular question. I think that quote's from Bernal Diaz' book about the conquest of New Espain.

Diaz also mentioned how Cortes had to flush out his bowels using hot peppers occasionally, too, due to having consumed water with creepy-crawlies in it. And I was thinking, just like an afternoon watching the Superbowl - chihuahua snacks with lots of excessively spicy salsa and cheese, cleans the whole system out right on down the line! I like 'em deep fried with rice-flour batter, then covered in hot sauce. Sort of like a Mexican-chihuahua buffalo tempura!

The one in the your hand is the one that will make the difference....

Strongly agree, the chihuahua in your hand is vastly different from the one who latches onto your hand with his teeth.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

Confused

I got confused, battered my beretta and drew the chihuahua. I've studied Aztec, Toltec and Mayan history, my 20 chihuahuas were named ancient Toltec and Aztec names. They helped me cross the sacred river a time or two or was that the peyote? Hell, just carry two guns.

Fenris

If he had a claymore strapped to his back, he could have taken them both out without even turning around.