• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UK wants authority to serve warrants [for UK citizens] in U.S.

OC for ME

WASHINGTON - British and U.S. officials have been negotiating a plan that could allow British authorities to directly serve wiretap orders on U.S. communications companies in criminal and national security inquiries, U.S. officials confirmed Thursday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/02/04/uk-wants-authority-serve-warrants-us/79851282/

SCOTUS has ruled that "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, ..." does not apply only to US citizens.

This is very dangerous ground that the federal government is treading on. Given the NSA/LE violations of our 4A protections on almost a daily basis all across this country, contact your elected representatives to voice your opposition to this agreement.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
To be clear, they are ALREADY doing it. They are seeking the ability to admit it in open court. [strike]No big deal...[/strike]

qednick

To be clear, they are ALREADY doing it. They are seeking the ability to admit it in open court. [strike]No big deal...[/strike]

True. I have a buddy that works at the "No Such Agency" building here in San Antonio. Although he can't say much of anything, he does say if we knew, it would make the hairs on the back of our necks stand on end.