• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School District says all fenced school areas are "buildings"

The Hockinson School District (where my kids go to school) put up a six foot tall black chainlink fence with privacy slats around the entire school, excluding the parking lot. This makes it more difficult to just walk on campus. I have been informed that the school district is now considering the entire fenced area as the 'school building' and I will no longer be allowed to carry my defensive sidearm while dropping off my child at her classroom. I usually walk her to her Kindergarten classroom door which is outside, and don't walk through any buildings.
Can they redefine what a building is? Is it legal for the district to do this? I am licensed under RCW 9.41.070 so I am allowed to carry while dropping off or picking up a student, as long as I do not enter a building. (see full reading of RCW 9.41.280 for reference).

DeSchaine

NAL, but I think they're full of it and any real lawyer could get any charges stemming from you being harassed for it tossed out. Depends on which dictionary they use to define it.

solus

sorry op, as much as the collective whines state otherwise, they can do any bloody thing they want to until someone points out the error of their ways...

now, please look in a mirror, point a finger at the mirror and say the sentence over and over again to your reflection until you feel engaged...

"i will not tolerate this and will do something about it"

now that you have the mantra...go do something about it tiger...

BTW...who is this mythical "i have been informed..." you heard this rumor from....do us all a favor and verify your 'i have been informed' by someone of import in the school district....

ipse

sorry op, as much as the collective whines state otherwise, they can do any bloody thing they want to until someone points out the error of their ways...

now, please look in a mirror, point a finger at the mirror and say the sentence over and over again to your reflection until you feel engaged...

"i will not tolerate this and will do something about it"

now that you have the mantra...go do something about it tiger...

BTW...who is this mythical "i have been informed..." you heard this rumor from....do us all a favor and verify your 'i have been informed' by someone of import in the school district....

ipse

I received a call from the assistant principal at the elementary school my children attend. That is how I was informed. I will be following up with the district superintendent to get a written statement. Thank you for pointing out that a phone conversation cannot be tracked and your encouragement. Sometimes having someone point out the obvious is needed, thanks!

solus

I received a call from the assistant principal at the elementary school my children attend. That is how I was informed. I will be following up with the district superintendent to get a written statement. Thank you for pointing out that a phone conversation cannot be tracked and your encouragement. Sometimes having someone point out the obvious is needed, thanks!

thanks for sharing the source and a suggestion...

you know you might just approach it as a rumor heard like can you confirm approach with the district superintendent and just happen to have a written prepared counter argument and then play dumb...you know... 'you guys are not really thinking of doing something this brash which, pointing at the counter argument, against the law? i couldn't imagine nor think of the backlash to all concerned if main stream media, social media, ad nauseam heard about this nefarious scheme.

just a thought...

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would do a records request to inspect records relating to the fence and policies.

Get facts from records .. not from officials ... then go to next public meeting and complain.

How many times have school officials say one thing only to be shown to have lied when records show different.

OC for ME

RCW 9.41.290 and 300 do not seem to address whether or not a school (school district) has the authority to define the boundaries of its facilities. Get the school district to put it in writing then talk to a attorney.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
...go do something about it tiger...

A lie unchallenged is accepted as fact/truth. Refute and correct it.

go to next public meeting and complain. .

Any penalty for them violating the law?

Citizenship is a Verb. Action is required and it seems to be falling upon your shoulders. As for the "penalty", that will be your lawsuit. Do not let the camel put his nose where it does not belong.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Was the fence a coincidence that they are now wanting to use against you, or did they put up a privacy fence because they wanted to use it against you?

Was the fence a coincidence that they are now wanting to use against you, or did they put up a privacy fence because they wanted to use it against you?

They put up the fence for security reasons. However the assistant principal did know I carry onto campus, we have discussed it in depth in three separate and respectful conversations. I do not know if the fence has anything to do specifically with me and my actions.
However, when I noticed the fence having been erected, I took the time to secure my firearm in my vehicle according to state law, entered the office and thanked them for their actions (installing the fence/ securing campus).
I stated again my concern for my family's security and asked that they pass on the thanks for the district's actions to protect students in a meaningful way. It seems the spirit of my gratefulness was misunderstood, and my thanks for being a parent who compliments instead of complaining is to be punished.

mikeyb

The Hockinson School District (where my kids go to school) put up a six foot tall black chainlink fence with privacy slats around the entire school, excluding the parking lot. This makes it more difficult to just walk on campus. I have been informed that the school district is now considering the entire fenced area as the 'school building' and I will no longer be allowed to carry my defensive sidearm while dropping off my child at her classroom. I usually walk her to her Kindergarten classroom door which is outside, and don't walk through any buildings.
Can they redefine what a building is? Is it legal for the district to do this? I am licensed under RCW 9.41.070 so I am allowed to carry while dropping off or picking up a student, as long as I do not enter a building. (see full reading of RCW 9.41.280 for reference).

NAL, but if school "leadership" is defining a fence as a building, not only is this impossible, but you might want to look into a different school.

You can't go "in" a fence. You can go "in" a fenced-off area. You can go "thru" a fence.

And to go on the other side, yay for the school district to limiting the view of the school. Field of vision reduced to 100' or less? PERFECT! :banghead: Bad people who shoot up schools will never think there are children there. I mean, it's not like it says "Elementary School" or looks like one, or makes noises like one.

What. A. Bunch. Of. Morons.

solus

They put up the fence for security reasons. However the assistant principal did know I carry onto campus, we have discussed it in depth in three separate and respectful conversations. I do not know if the fence has anything to do specifically with me and my actions.
However, when I noticed the fence having been erected, I took the time to secure my firearm in my vehicle according to state law, entered the office and thanked them for their actions (installing the fence/ securing campus).
I stated again my concern for my family's security and asked that they pass on the thanks for the district's actions to protect students in a meaningful way. It seems the spirit of my gratefulness was misunderstood, and my thanks for being a parent who compliments instead of complaining is to be punished.

in a confined GFZ where nobody can escape......

ipse

NavyMike

I suspect that they are trying to use the broad definition of building found in RCW 9a.04.110 (5)

(5) "Building," in addition to its ordinary meaning, includes any dwelling, fenced area, vehicle, railway car, cargo container, or any other structure used for lodging of persons or for carrying on business therein, or for the use, sale, or deposit of goods; each unit of a building consisting of two or more units separately secured or occupied is a separate building;