• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016:SB626 I don't know what planet I'm on any more!

TFred

SB 626 provides for any person not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, who is granted a protective order, may use that protective order as a Concealed Handgun Permit, with a few more details and conditions.

Today, this bill passed the full Senate with an overwhelming 32-8 margin, SIX more votes than would be needed to override any McAuliffe veto.

This alone is enough to turn one's world upside down, but wait, there's more.

VSSA is reporting via Twitter that 1: Not only did Senator Dick Saslaw vote FOR the bill, but

2: Senator Dick Saslaw stood and spoke on the floor in FAVOR of the bill, saying, ""better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Seriously, what planet am I on?

TFred

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd bet the context is something like: "I am in favor of this bill because it makes sense. We already have people that feel threatened that carry a firearm anyway, thinking that it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, so we ought to help them out by making it legal.

I'M JUST GUESSING, and am by no means an expert in VA politicians. But that's just my gut thinking what a politician would say, and what a twitter would get out of it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had to check my calendar to make sure I hadn't pulled a Van Winkle and slept 'till April Fool's Day.

Are the Dems trying to distance themselves from the anti-gun rhetoric, will they vote for Constitutional Carry next? I don't think so.

Maybe this is just a crumb being tossed out, enabling the likes of Saslaw to show that he is willing to accept responsible compromise. There has got to be more behind this. Is Saslaw up for reelection soon?

2a4all

I know, right!?!? :)

But that's always been the problem with Saslaw. His district is overwhelmingly anti-gun. This will hurt him among his constituents, not help him.

TFred
Maybe not, TFred. SB626 balances the scales for the antis when weighted against the one that strips gun rights from anyone served with a permanent protective order. That bill takes away the gun threat by the abuser, and SB626 puts one in the hands of the threatened.

Saslaw's constituents may not be pro-gun, but they are definitely anti-violence.

Shovelhead

Maybe they're waiting for an "incident" so they can trumpet, "Look, We TOLD you so".
And take it all back.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Maybe not, TFred. SB626 balances the scales for the antis when weighted against the one that strips gun rights from anyone served with a permanent protective order. That bill takes away the gun threat by the abuser, and SB626 puts one in the hands of the threatened.

Saslaw's constituents may not be pro-gun, but they are definitely anti-violence.

This is exactly my take, well except perhaps for the anti-violence bit. It would also seem that this type of bill could really do damage to legislators who claim that they support the 2nd Amendment, but also support "common sense measures", but then fail to support a bill like this. Except for the true blue antis who hate guns in anyones hand, this would seem to be a bill that could draw wide support.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps it would be easier to grasp if TFred's statement had been worded thusly:

"Saslaw's district has regularly elected anti-gun represenatives."

grylnsmn

Do you have evidence to back this assertion? Or is merely feeding upon (and in turn feeding) your latent preconceptions?

Speaking as someone who was, until last month, a constituent of Saslaw's, the majority of the residents lean heavily Democratic, and the Republican party has never really put up more than a token candidate. I never had a problem open carrying in the area, but all of my elected officials (from Penny Gross and Kaye Kory to Jim Moran and later Don Beyer) were extremely anti-gun. Each election, all I could do was vote against them, for all the good it did.

OC4me

Do you have evidence to back this assertion? Or is merely feeding upon (and in turn feeding) your latent preconceptions?

Heck, even I know that Saslaw is a rabid anti-gunner and I'm not even a Virginia resident. The only evidence I want to see is a video of Saslaw actually making such an out-of-character statement. Sounds too good to be true in my humble opinion.

sidestreet

Forgive me for being skeptical…,

but I can't help but think there's something missing here…, what have they got up their sleeve, did we miss a step somewhere? Where's all this seemingly sudden awakening on the Dem side to what we've known all along coming from? Ya' know that old saying, "if it looks/sounds/seems too good to be true". Can't stop that little voice from whispering that, but I'm gonna keep watching…, from a distance.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Speaking as someone who was, until last month, a constituent of Saslaw's, the majority of the residents lean heavily Democratic, and the Republican party has never really put up more than a token candidate. I never had a problem open carrying in the area, but all of my elected officials (from Penny Gross and Kaye Kory to Jim Moran and later Don Beyer) were extremely anti-gun. Each election, all I could do was vote against them, for all the good it did.

No doubt. But that isn't what I asked.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't know what planet I'm on any more!

Earth. Solar System. Milky Way. Third watery rock out from the central star of that system. :p:)

Gotta admit the Saslaw comment would make a fella wonder, though.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What happens to the defensive rights of the person who the protective order is against?

Seems to me this was in the news very just recently. Something about a person having to give up his means to self-defense (losing an enumerated right) upon the issuance of a protective order (not conviction based on evidence weighed by jury of peers).