Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: open or conceal carry around your home.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Moore,Oklahoma
    Posts
    27

    open or conceal carry around your home.

    Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

    Gregg
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-11-2016 at 04:17 AM. Reason: fixed title

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post
    Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

    Gregg
    from the moment my happy arse hops out bed & get dressed as well as what i am doing for the 'day' i will don either a M&P USP 9 (worn for while working/lounging) or Five-seveN (worn for town runs) strapped to my hip.

    now, if it be a special occasion, the Tribal is worn.

    further, this is hearsay mind you, there might be key places where additional loaded firearms are hidden within easy reach within my home on as well as on my property...just saying.

    now, you mentioned specific examples and i will not go into the use of deadly force to prevent those incidents nor ever advocate wearing a firearm with intention of intimidation.

    hope that helps
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    There is no better way to gain familiarity with your gun and carrying it.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member kinggabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Duncan, Ok
    Posts
    84
    I myself carry the same at home as when I am out and about which is open carry. The only time I cover it up is at church or when I am reminded of the song that goes signs signs everywhere signs.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    from the moment my happy arse hops out bed & get dressed as well as what i am doing for the 'day' i will don either a M&P USP 9 (worn for while working/lounging) or Five-seveN (worn for town runs) strapped to my hip.

    now, if it be a special occasion, the Tribal is worn.

    further, this is hearsay mind you, there might be key places where additional loaded firearms are hidden within easy reach within my home on as well as on my property...just saying.

    now, you mentioned specific examples and i will not go into the use of deadly force to prevent those incidents nor ever advocate wearing a firearm with intention of intimidation.

    hope that helps
    Yes, what he says...

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Carry in a manner that suits you, keep the light on out front and put the backdoor light on a motion sensor.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    If you OC make sure you remember where are mirrors so you won't shoot the intruder. I bet your dog doesn't mind CC or OC - ours sure don't.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post
    Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

    Gregg
    Hey fellow Okie. I live in North OKC, but lived off eastern, in Moore, not too long ago. Carry in a manner that is most comfortable and convenient, when at home. Personally, I open carry, whether I'm home or not. As long as you are armed.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    All depends on the weather or if I am inside the house or outside. Its open carry 99 percent of the time inside unless I have a lite shirt on because its cool in side.

    Out side its all about temperature it is a balmy -19F this morning so I think it well be all concealed out side today and maybe a light fleece shirt in the house.

    I think I should throw some more wood in the stove.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Can't speak to OK since I've never lived there.

    But the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) is from OK and on several of her shows where she has a lot of people on her ranch for some event that's being filmed for her show, I've noticed several people OCing during the show. Usually, it's for a very short time period and very short glimpse. Most people, including my wife, don't notice until we back up the DVR and slow-mo through the scene.

    I OC whenever I'm outside on my +35 acres of heaven here in SC TN.

    FWIW.

  11. #11
    Regular Member qednick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bandera, TX
    Posts
    524
    Back when we still had the apartment in San Antonio, the wife and kids were heading to Houston for the weekend and I was home alone. A couple hours after they left I was chillin' and watching TV when someone tried to open the front door (it was locked). By the time I got to the door with my 9mm at the ready there was nobody to be seen. I knew it wasn't anybody I knew since they were already half way to Houston. So yes, always a good idea to carry at home.


    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Can't speak to OK since I've never lived there.

    But the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) is from OK and on several of her shows where she has a lot of people on her ranch for some event that's being filmed for her show, I've noticed several people OCing during the show. Usually, it's for a very short time period and very short glimpse. Most people, including my wife, don't notice until we back up the DVR and slow-mo through the scene.

    I OC whenever I'm outside on my +35 acres of heaven here in SC TN.

    FWIW.
    Can't believe someone actually watches that lady. My wife has the food network on constantly but I make her change the channel when Pioneer Woman comes on. It's something about the perpetual smile she has. Nobody is that happy! On saying that, since you pointed that out, I may just watch it next time to see for myself!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponca City, OK
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by kinggabby View Post
    I myself carry the same at home as when I am out and about which is open carry. The only time I cover it up is at church or when I am reminded of the song that goes signs signs everywhere signs.
    Same here, open carry all day every day.

  13. #13
    Regular Member okiephlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post
    Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

    Gregg
    Absolutely it is wise. Since you are the King of your castle, you can give your self permission to OC in your home all the time. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by okiephlyer View Post
    Absolutely it is wise. Since you are the King of your castle, you can give your self permission to OC in your home all the time. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Remember the ditty about parachutes? Same can be said about a self-defense tool/gun.

    If you don't have one when you really, really need one, you'll not likely to need one again.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    [snip]

    Can't believe someone actually watches that lady. My wife has the food network on constantly but I make her change the channel when Pioneer Woman comes on. It's something about the perpetual smile she has. Nobody is that happy! On saying that, since you pointed that out, I may just watch it next time to see for myself!
    Do you have any idea how much excellent food I've eaten since my wife started watching all those FN shows, including but not limited to, TPW???

    And TPW is married to one of the top ten largest land owning family in the US (the Drummond family). And on top of that, she makes +$10M each year off of her show, plus books etc. She has a lot to be happy about!!!

    Yea, good food, good looks, rich as heck and good food: yea, I'd be smiling a lot too!!!
    Last edited by FTG-05; 02-11-2016 at 09:49 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Want to say the Pioneer woman's family is largest landowner in OK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Want to say the Pioneer woman's family is largest landowner in OK.
    Perhaps if restricted the land actually and only in OK

    In a 2013 article on Modern Farmer about America’s 100 Top Landowners (“The who’s who of modern American land moguls”) the Drummond family was listed as #17 (the 17th largest landowner in the U.S.), with “433,000 acres.” Don't think that was all in Oklahoma though.
    http://rtfitchauthor.com/2015/01/30/...payer-dollars/

    All of these are well beyond my means, but obviously there would be an extreme amount of space to OC on your own property owned in this country:
    http://fayranches.com/sites/default/...ay_ranches.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Regular Member qednick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bandera, TX
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Do you have any idea how much excellent food I've eaten since my wife started watching all those FN shows, including but not limited to, TPW???

    And TPW is married to one of the top ten largest land owning family in the US (the Drummond family). And on top of that, she makes +$10M each year off of her show, plus books etc. She has a lot to be happy about!!!

    Yea, good food, good looks, rich as heck and good food: yea, I'd be smiling a lot too!!!
    I confess that since my wife got hooked on food network shows that I've actually started taking an interest in cooking and my cooking is [surprisingly] good! You must admit though...TPW makes the Cheshire Cat look positively depressed

  19. #19
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    The 500,000 acre Waggoner ranch is up for sale. Don't know if I w/b joining the top 100 landowner list - haven't heard if they have accepted my bid - relying on the saying you can offer either 'terms or price - but not both' - my bid is along the lines of that famous lottery winner - ' you have won the $4 million lottery - $1 a year for 4 million years'.

    To stay on topic, I have not looked into the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triple-D.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	12979 policy handbook on whether it needs t/b changed - not sure if the family allowed OC in the big house and/or the bunk houses...
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Almost fifty years ago I came within an RCH of marrying into the Reynolds L&C Co. while I lived in Santa Cruz/Capitola, California. We used to get the keys on weekends to the Soledad ranch.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    The 500,000 acre Waggoner ranch is up for sale. Don't know if I w/b joining the top 100 landowner list - haven't heard if they have accepted my bid - relying on the saying you can offer either 'terms or price - but not both' - my bid is along the lines of that famous lottery winner - ' you have won the $4 million lottery - $1 a year for 4 million years'.

    To stay on topic, I have not looked into the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triple-D.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	12979 policy handbook on whether it needs t/b changed - not sure if the family allowed OC in the big house and/or the bunk houses...
    The Waggoner Ranch got sold to the LA Rams football team owner Stan Kroenke. http://www.kltv.com/story/31179764/r...-largest-in-us

    Back to the thread:

    Rifle rack and AR on my tractor:



    Ditto on my RTV:



    This is addition to the S&W 329PD that is on my hip every time I go outside.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    79
    I carry at the home. My gun is either on my hip, on the coffee table or on my nightstand. I had some friends come over and they are like, "Why are you carrying in the house?" I pointed out that 100% of home invasions happen in the home. My guns isn't very useful if I can't get to it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Elm Creek Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In the county.
    Posts
    212
    When I get home from work, I take off my duty belt and lock up my duty wheel andgun. I then holster <i>at least</I> one revolver and usually two if we are going out. When my wife said, "Really?" I kept my mouth shut. A bit later in the evening a story about home invasions came on the 10:00 news. She hasn't ever said anything else about it.

    Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

    " A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

    "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •