• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open or conceal carry around your home.

gwhitegm60

Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

Question: Do you think it is wise to either open or conceal carry when you are alone at home? I live by my self with my dog here in Moore,OK. Just had a friend of mine that also lives in Moore that just got his tires slashed and his garage was gone through but nothing was stolen. I am concern about the crime here in Moore and also I live in a older neighbor hood. What is your opinion on this subject?

Gregg

from the moment my happy arse hops out bed & get dressed as well as what i am doing for the 'day' i will don either a M&P USP 9 (worn for while working/lounging) or Five-seveN (worn for town runs) strapped to my hip.

now, if it be a special occasion, the Tribal :D is worn.

further, this is hearsay mind you, there might be key places where additional loaded firearms are hidden within easy reach within my home on as well as on my property...just saying.

now, you mentioned specific examples and i will not go into the use of deadly force to prevent those incidents nor ever advocate wearing a firearm with intention of intimidation.

hope that helps

kinggabby

I myself carry the same at home as when I am out and about which is open carry. The only time I cover it up is at church or when I am reminded of the song that goes signs signs everywhere signs.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
from the moment my happy arse hops out bed & get dressed as well as what i am doing for the 'day' i will don either a M&P USP 9 (worn for while working/lounging) or Five-seveN (worn for town runs) strapped to my hip.

now, if it be a special occasion, the Tribal :D is worn.

further, this is hearsay mind you, there might be key places where additional loaded firearms are hidden within easy reach within my home on as well as on my property...just saying.

now, you mentioned specific examples and i will not go into the use of deadly force to prevent those incidents nor ever advocate wearing a firearm with intention of intimidation.

hope that helps
Yes, what he says...

HPmatt

If you OC make sure you remember where are mirrors so you won't shoot the intruder. I bet your dog doesn't mind CC or OC - ours sure don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mynameiscolb

Gregg
Hey fellow Okie. I live in North OKC, but lived off eastern, in Moore, not too long ago. Carry in a manner that is most comfortable and convenient, when at home. Personally, I open carry, whether I'm home or not. As long as you are armed.

Firearms Iinstuctor

All depends on the weather or if I am inside the house or outside. Its open carry 99 percent of the time inside unless I have a lite shirt on because its cool in side.

Out side its all about temperature it is a balmy -19F this morning so I think it well be all concealed out side today and maybe a light fleece shirt in the house.

I think I should throw some more wood in the stove.:lol:

FTG-05

Can't speak to OK since I've never lived there.

But the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) is from OK and on several of her shows where she has a lot of people on her ranch for some event that's being filmed for her show, I've noticed several people OCing during the show. Usually, it's for a very short time period and very short glimpse. Most people, including my wife, don't notice until we back up the DVR and slow-mo through the scene.

I OC whenever I'm outside on my +35 acres of heaven here in SC TN.

FWIW.

qednick

Back when we still had the apartment in San Antonio, the wife and kids were heading to Houston for the weekend and I was home alone. A couple hours after they left I was chillin' and watching TV when someone tried to open the front door (it was locked). By the time I got to the door with my 9mm at the ready there was nobody to be seen. I knew it wasn't anybody I knew since they were already half way to Houston. So yes, always a good idea to carry at home.

Can't speak to OK since I've never lived there.

But the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) is from OK and on several of her shows where she has a lot of people on her ranch for some event that's being filmed for her show, I've noticed several people OCing during the show. Usually, it's for a very short time period and very short glimpse. Most people, including my wife, don't notice until we back up the DVR and slow-mo through the scene.

I OC whenever I'm outside on my +35 acres of heaven here in SC TN.

FWIW.

Can't believe someone actually watches that lady. My wife has the food network on constantly but I make her change the channel when Pioneer Woman comes on. It's something about the perpetual smile she has. Nobody is that happy! On saying that, since you pointed that out, I may just watch it next time to see for myself!

okiephlyer

Gregg

Absolutely it is wise. Since you are the King of your castle, you can give your self permission to OC in your home all the time. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Absolutely it is wise. Since you are the King of your castle, you can give your self permission to OC in your home all the time. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Remember the ditty about parachutes? Same can be said about a self-defense tool/gun.

If you don't have one when you really, really need one, you'll not likely to need one again.

FTG-05

[snip]

Can't believe someone actually watches that lady. My wife has the food network on constantly but I make her change the channel when Pioneer Woman comes on. It's something about the perpetual smile she has. Nobody is that happy! On saying that, since you pointed that out, I may just watch it next time to see for myself!

Do you have any idea how much excellent food I've eaten since my wife started watching all those FN shows, including but not limited to, TPW??? :eek::eek::eek:

And TPW is married to one of the top ten largest land owning family in the US (the Drummond family). And on top of that, she makes +$10M each year off of her show, plus books etc. She has a lot to be happy about!!!

Yea, good food, good looks, rich as heck and good food: yea, I'd be smiling a lot too!!!

Last edited:

HPmatt

Want to say the Pioneer woman's family is largest landowner in OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Want to say the Pioneer woman's family is largest landowner in OK.
Perhaps if restricted the land actually and only in OK

In a 2013 article on Modern Farmer about America’s 100 Top Landowners (“The who’s who of modern American land moguls”) the Drummond family was listed as #17 (the 17th largest landowner in the U.S.), with “433,000 acres.” Don't think that was all in Oklahoma though.
http://rtfitchauthor.com/2015/01/30...-the-pioneer-woman-rakes-in-taxpayer-dollars/

All of these are well beyond my means, but obviously there would be an extreme amount of space to OC on your own property owned in this country:
http://fayranches.com/sites/default/files/2013_land_report_100_sponsored_by_fay_ranches.pdf

qednick

Do you have any idea how much excellent food I've eaten since my wife started watching all those FN shows, including but not limited to, TPW??? :eek::eek::eek:

And TPW is married to one of the top ten largest land owning family in the US (the Drummond family). And on top of that, she makes +$10M each year off of her show, plus books etc. She has a lot to be happy about!!!

Yea, good food, good looks, rich as heck and good food: yea, I'd be smiling a lot too!!!

I confess that since my wife got hooked on food network shows that I've actually started taking an interest in cooking and my cooking is [surprisingly] good! You must admit though...TPW makes the Cheshire Cat look positively depressed :lol:

HPmatt

The 500,000 acre Waggoner ranch is up for sale. Don't know if I w/b joining the top 100 landowner list - haven't heard if they have accepted my bid - relying on the saying you can offer either 'terms or price - but not both' - my bid is along the lines of that famous lottery winner - ' you have won the $4 million lottery - $1 a year for 4 million years'.

To stay on topic, I have not looked into the Triple-D.jpg policy handbook on whether it needs t/b changed - not sure if the family allowed OC in the big house and/or the bunk houses...

FTG-05

The 500,000 acre Waggoner ranch is up for sale. Don't know if I w/b joining the top 100 landowner list - haven't heard if they have accepted my bid - relying on the saying you can offer either 'terms or price - but not both' - my bid is along the lines of that famous lottery winner - ' you have won the $4 million lottery - $1 a year for 4 million years'.

To stay on topic, I have not looked into the View attachment 12979 policy handbook on whether it needs t/b changed - not sure if the family allowed OC in the big house and/or the bunk houses...

The Waggoner Ranch got sold to the LA Rams football team owner Stan Kroenke. http://www.kltv.com/story/31179764/rams-owner-buys-historic-waggoner-ranch-largest-in-us

Back to the thread:

Rifle rack and AR on my tractor:

IMG_20150319_120651881%20Large_zpstvhyg4cm.jpg

Ditto on my RTV:

IMG_20151002_104645544%20Large_zpsmvmsgxrw.jpg

This is addition to the S&W 329PD that is on my hip every time I go outside.

Arin Morris

I carry at the home. My gun is either on my hip, on the coffee table or on my nightstand. I had some friends come over and they are like, "Why are you carrying in the house?" I pointed out that 100% of home invasions happen in the home. My guns isn't very useful if I can't get to it.