• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kolbe V. Hogan original decision SHREDDED

DeSchaine

The US Fourth Circuit tore apart the original decision in Kolbe V. Hogan, and basically said Marylands Firearm Safety Act unconstitutional. This is a thing of beauty and will no doubt attempt to go to SCOTUS. This has huge repercussions for all of these idiotic "ten round mag" laws and other similarly moronic excuses for banning firearms.

PDF Link:
http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kolbe-v.-Hogan_Opinion.pdf

Edit: That is one long and awesome list of Amici Supporting Appellants.

Last edited:

STLDaniel

The US Fourth Circuit ... basically said Marylands Firearm Safety Act unconstitutional.

Except that they explicitly stated that was not the judgement:
"This is not a finding that Maryland’s law is unconstitutional. It is simply a ruling that the test of its constitutionality is different from that used by the district court."

They provide several very good key findings that will be used against the act as it gets reheard in the district court, and it appears that it will get overturned, but this ruling simply sends it back to the district court with the instruction to apply strict scrutiny under the scope of the 2ndA. The state now gets their opportunity to demonstrate strict scrutiny that wasn't applied originally and a new decision will be issued after that rehearing by the district court (and presumably re-appealed to the US Fourth Circuit).

Last edited:

OC4me

My observation of the rabid anti-gun mindset of certain liberal judges, leads me to believe that not even strict scrutiny will be much of a legal barrier to so-called 'common-sense' gun safety laws.

Believe me, an activist judge will find any evidence, no matter how scant, sufficient to overcome strict scrutiny. Just my humble opinion. Still, this decision is a good precedent. But I think that the litigation over the Second Amendment is far far from over.

After all, how much time has ANY federal court spent on the phrase "shall not be infringed"?

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Yes, it was a long read, especially for nothing more than a directive for the lower court to take a tougher look at the situation. But at the end of it all, it certainly seems that the judges authoring the opinion would be in favor of removing a good chunk of the FSA should they actually be forced to that point. It also seems that by doing it this way, the entire appeals court system is TRYING to keep it from going to SCOTUS, but I'm fairly sure it's going to end up there anyways.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is a thing of beauty...

Hardly. Far, far too long.

I have no problem with a judge or judges thoroughly substantiating their decision, as that forms the basis for sound case law. It would be nice, however, if they were to summarize their finding in an Executive Summary like the rest of the world.

randian

With the death of Scalia the appellate courts want their cases to go to SCOTUS as fast as possible. Since all of them are anti-gun rulings (or will be once CA4 takes Kolbe en banc to overturn it like CA9 did with Peruta) a tie at SCOTUS is as good as a win for them. Either way the anti-gun ruling stands.