• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal carrying without having your license on you - crime according to KSP

poetdante

"If you're carrying concealed and you do not have this license with you, then you're in violation of the law. It's a Class A Misdemeanor," said Lt. Col. Yates. (KSP)

I thought it was just a fine. Not an actual "go-to-jail" offense.

KRS 237.110 (15)
The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a
concealed firearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon
request of a law enforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this
subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five
dollars ($25), payable to the clerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall
be assessed.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/31201263/louisville-ccw-permit-applicants-forget-the-most-important-step

Fallschirjmäger

KRS 237.110 (15)
The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon request of a law enforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25), payable to the clerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall be assessed.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/31201263/louisville-ccw-permit-applicants-forget-the-most-important-step

I completely agree with this, not having a license in one's possession does Not mean one is un-licensed, not any more than a teacher having his certificate in hand means he/she is an unlicensed teacher, or someone without his/her diploma in their back pocket mean they are not a HS or College graduate. It merely means that prima facie proof is not at hand and must be produced at a later date.

Not long ago, Georgia brought the penalty for not having a weapons license in immediate possession in line with the penalty for not having a driving license in one's immediate possession; a $10.oo court fine if a valid license was produced later in court. Sounds quite logical, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Maverick9

My next task is to contact Lt. Col. Yates and show him what a fool he has made of himself.

Instead, since the truth is on your side, why not make a "friend"?

Don't we have enough 'alienated' people? Why trade some momentary 'neener-neener' for some good will and show that handgun carriers are 'a cut above'?

Fallschirjmäger

What is the advantage to the citizen to have the KSP send them a letter informing the citizen to come pick up their license over the KSP just sticking the license in the same envelop that the notification would go in?

Does Kentucky also require driving licenses to be picked up in person?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That is a very good question. Is this what passes for good journalism, today; just change a quote that has been attributed to someone and then pass it off as their original words?

In fact, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. I suggest a follow-up letter to her editor, asking that very question.

Fallschirjmäger

Yes, a Ky. drivers license is picked up by the licensee at the circuit clerks office.

Ahhhh,,, the idea that the government would do a service and then ask for payment rather than demand payment before rendering services didn't even occur to me.

In GA you pay the Sheriff's Office/Probate Court at the time of the application (assuming that someone is going to push the button to request a background check and do prints no matter what) and then mails out the permit within a set amount of time. There was a big brouhaha about one county demanding SASE to mail a notice back to the citizen that he could spend his time and money to come down to the court and pick up his license instead of sticking said GWL in the envelope and sending it.

Mail might occasionally get lost, but the reprinting of a license is mere pennies.

Last edited:

OC for ME

And how do you suggest that I do that? Bake him a cake? This man is second in command of the largest sheriff's department in the state. If I just keep my mouth shut, he will assume that everything he said is correct, or that we are just as stupid as he thinks we are. Pointing out all of his errors might make him realize that the gun owners of Ky. are not as stupid as he thinks we are and that we are watching everything he says and does. Maybe he'll be embarrassed enough to either learn to keep his mouth shut, when he doesn't know the facts or maybe he'll actually read the law and try to understand it. I don't need any "friends" like him. He has enough people kissing up to him for him to notice my kissing up, I'm not very good at it either. ...
+1

Hold the source accountable not the reporter.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can't do a follow-up letter, which is the only kind of letter that would make any sense. It was a suggestion, nothing more.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Today, I got a reply from Lt. Col Yates. He was very apologetic and gracious. He said, "Thank you for insightful response. As a 45-year law enforcement and military veteran, I have to fall on the sword on this one. No excuses, I simply Screwed up." ...
How about sharing your "insightful response" so that newbies and others can learn from your approach?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Originally Posted by gutshot
Today, I got a reply from Lt. Col Yates. He was very apologetic and gracious. He said, "Thank you for insightful response. As a 45-year law enforcement and military veteran, I have to fall on the sword on this one. No excuses, I simply Screwed up." ...
How about sharing your "insightful response" so that newbies and others can learn from your approach?
You mean to teach some youngins about wisdom?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...It is important that it have no (or at least very few) spelling or grammar mistakes and that you you don't come off as a lunatic (of course, if you are a lunatic, you probably won't know what makes you sound like a lunatic). ...
Great note!

<<< certified lunatic, btw. ;)

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Correct, it's not from insightfulness or from wisdom, it is from his extraordinary intellectual and creative power in dealing with this matter. :lol: