Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panera Bread taking position against guns

Panera Bread taking position against guns

VCDL just posted this on Facebook:

[URL]http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/09/08/panera-bread-ceo-dont-bring-your-guns-into-our-restaurants/#4e359c673e03[URL]

Not sure how to make this an active link, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rev.david.eem.fb View Post

[URL]http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/09/08/panera-bread-ceo-dont-bring-your-guns-into-our-restaurants/#4e359c673e03[URL]

Not sure how to make this an active link, sorry.
    Looks like old news tho.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoco.../#4e359c673e03

The 1,800-outlet, $4.2 billion (market cap) company issued a brief statement on Monday after CEO Ron Shaich spoke to CNBC about the decision:

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.

In the weeks and months leading up to this policy announcement, Panera Bread sought advice from Michael Bloomberg-backed Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, now part of the former Mayor’s $50 million Everytown nonprofit.
    (emphasis added)

It's not a no-guns policy. It's a we-would-prefer-you-didn't-give-some-Mom-Demanding-Something-a reason-to-throw-a-hissy-fit-at-us policy. Same as Starbucks

I have not heard of anybody actually been asked to leave either place - at least not by staff/management. I was once threatened by some Mom-Demanding-Something, who the Starbucks manager told to leave and then came and asked me to not call the cops - he didn't want the negative publicity. Not had any problems with three of the many Panera locations in town.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 02-12-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

--snipped--
    VCDL does not have an official Facebook page. That site is run by a VCDL member.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-12-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Signs, signs, everywhere are signs. We and our guns and money aren't wanted there at Pain-era. Shun icky.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

want to say there has been a thread on Panera - remember folks pro/con the quality of the food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    want to say there has been a thread on Panera - remember folks pro/con the quality of the food
    Here is one of many such:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ghlight=panera
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-12-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    VCDL does not have an official Facebook page. That site is run by a VCDL member.
    There used to be two, one of which was run by a member, but now it appears the 2nd is gone and only the official looking one remains. Unfortunately what is being referred to here is not something that even the VCDL page shared, it's something someone else shared to the page. There is nothing to indicate that VCDL shared this.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ...It's not a no-guns policy. It's a ...
    Maybe I have a different interpretation of the word "policy." Might not be binding, but it's still a no guns policy, inviting scorn toward us for carrying.

But yes, this is old news. I've not been to a Panera in years because of this policy, and I eat out every day.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Too many businesses welcome me with my firearm. Even though it is a request I don't need no stinkin yuppie bread, nor do I need yuppie coffee.

Yesterday we ate lunch at El Molcajete Restaurant, and dinner at Cafe Vesuvio in Sanford with not one word said about our guns. Both are local owned businesses, which I prefer. Both places give you so much food we both are lucky if we can eat half. Lunch without tip was under 20 bucks, and dinner without tip was under 30 bucks.

I have always found buying local better when it comes to eating. We do not have a panny bread in Sanford though.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-12-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Shame on me for falling for a Facebook post

Shame on me for falling for a Facebook post
    I don't do facebook, but my wife has started. I looked at her page, and that is some of the stupidest scat I have seen people talk about.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I don't do facebook, but my wife has started. I looked at her page, and that is some of the stupidest scat I have seen people talk about.
    Well said! Stupid scat!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

My DW has a FB page and I only peruse it to see who has assumed room temperature back in South Carolina.

Sad really, kinfolks will not call us after uncle/aunt/cousin such and such has passed but will post it on FB instead. When the unfortunate event occurs I send virtual flowers to the FB page instead of real ones...I shortly thereafter receive a great many phone calls....

It took to aunts, a uncle, and a few cousins and now I get phone calls straight away. See...you can teach new dogs old tricks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    There used to be two, one of which was run by a member, but now it appears the 2nd is gone and only the official looking one remains. Unfortunately what is being referred to here is not something that even the VCDL page shared, it's something someone else shared to the page. There is nothing to indicate that VCDL shared this.
    Both are still there:

A Facebook "group," where any group member can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372500698/
    An organization, where only the page owners can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/VCDL.ORG/

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Both are still there:

A Facebook "group," where any group member can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372500698/
    An organization, where only the page owners can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/VCDL.ORG/

TFred
    Thanks TFred. For some reason I thought the one had shuttered.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Both are still there:

TFred
    Both are run and operated by user ED, a VCDL executive member. You will note on the 2nd one that the contact 800 phone number and ownership reference are Ed Levine's, not VCDL's.

This disclaimer is correct: ".......only the President speaks for VCDL and all the comments on the page are the opinions of the posters and not an official VCDL statement or position unless they are from the President."

I find it strange and personally embarrassing that I did not know of the 2nd site, but I do not do Facebook and unless I was asleep I do not recall this ever being approved by the BoD. You will note that the VCDL home page and links (http://vcdl.org/) do not reference/offer a Facebook connection.

What I think has happened is that through a desire to expand VCDL coverage, this has been allowed to exist with some oversight by other "administrators" whomever they may be.

I will look into this further.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-12-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added

Both are run and operated by user ED, a VCDL executive member. You will note on the 2nd one that the contact 800 phone number and ownership reference are Ed Levine's, not VCDL's.

This disclaimer is correct: ".......only the President speaks for VCDL and all the comments on the page are the opinions of the posters and not an official VCDL statement or position unless they are from the President."

I find it strange and personally embarrassing that I did not know of the 2nd site, but I do not do Facebook and unless I was asleep I do not recall this ever being approved by the BoD. You will note that the VCDL home page and links (http://vcdl.org/) do not reference/offer a Facebook connection.

What I think has happened is that through a desire to expand VCDL coverage, this has been allowed to exist with some oversight by other "administrators" whomever they may be.

I will look into this further.
    For whatever it may be worth...

I monitor both pages regularly, and I find good value in both.

The group page is less formal, and allows for more member/visitor interaction, and as such, I would think most people understand there are few VCDL policy communications on that page.

The organization page is a little more formal, and while still allowing for feedback, this page does not allow just anyone to initiate the timeline posts, which effectively restricts the dialog somewhat to more what the page owner desires.

I would very much support keeping both as they are, or perhaps if the VCDL board is uncomfortable, adding a little oversight to the organization page.

The LAST thing you want to do is shutter either of them, which are both, at the very least, excellent communication channels to a certain segment that may not see others that are currently in use.

PVC does participate on occasion, so that tells me that he's OK with them!

TFred

I have no problem with the latter being the unofficial, official VCDL site. Just think that needs to be made clear.

Yes I agree that the exposure to VCDL is good.

Actually there are 4 pages. In addition to these two, there is VCDL Eastern Shore and VCDL Southwestern VA.
    VCDL Eastern Shore was approved by the President for us on the Shore to communicate with each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    And what is worse is some of that stupid chat is gun owners. Especially those conceal carry zealots.

Back towards the topic of businesses not wanting firearms ..

I stopped for lunch at River City Diner yesterday and was talking with Theresa. She said she has worked in restaurants that have allowed firearms and in ones that have not allowed them. She then said that the only ones that had been robbed were the ones that didn't allow customers to carry their firearms, and that she loves where she works because of all the people who carry in there make her feel safer.
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Actually there are 4 pages. In addition to these two, there is VCDL Eastern Shore and VCDL Southwestern VA.
    VCDL Eastern Shore was approved by the President for us on the Shore to communicate with each other.

Link(s) please.

Link(s) please.
    Eastrrn Shore https://www.facebook.com/groups/889605777790820/

I'm unable to get link for VCDL Southwest VA. I just search VCDL and all four pop up.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Eastrrn Shore https://www.facebook.com/groups/889605777790820/

I'm unable to get link for VCDL Southwest VA. I just search VCDL and all four pop up.

You know that you have to have a facebook account to see those pages.

A lot are switching to MeWe.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast