• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Panera Bread taking position against guns

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...-your-guns-into-our-restaurants/#4e359c673e03

The 1,800-outlet, $4.2 billion (market cap) company issued a brief statement on Monday after CEO Ron Shaich spoke to CNBC about the decision:

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.

In the weeks and months leading up to this policy announcement, Panera Bread sought advice from Michael Bloomberg-backed Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, now part of the former Mayor’s $50 million Everytown nonprofit.
(emphasis added)

It's not a no-guns policy. It's a we-would-prefer-you-didn't-give-some-Mom-Demanding-Something-a reason-to-throw-a-hissy-fit-at-us policy. Same as Starbucks

I have not heard of anybody actually been asked to leave either place - at least not by staff/management. I was once threatened by some Mom-Demanding-Something, who the Starbucks manager told to leave and then came and asked me to not call the cops - he didn't want the negative publicity. Not had any problems with three of the many Panera locations in town.

stay safe.

Last edited:

HPmatt

want to say there has been a thread on Panera - remember folks pro/con the quality of the food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
VCDL does not have an official Facebook page. That site is run by a VCDL member.

There used to be two, one of which was run by a member, but now it appears the 2nd is gone and only the official looking one remains. Unfortunately what is being referred to here is not something that even the VCDL page shared, it's something someone else shared to the page. There is nothing to indicate that VCDL shared this.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...It's not a no-guns policy. It's a ...

Maybe I have a different interpretation of the word "policy." Might not be binding, but it's still a no guns policy, inviting scorn toward us for carrying.

But yes, this is old news. I've not been to a Panera in years because of this policy, and I eat out every day.

WalkingWolf

Too many businesses welcome me with my firearm. Even though it is a request I don't need no stinkin yuppie bread, nor do I need yuppie coffee.

Yesterday we ate lunch at El Molcajete Restaurant, and dinner at Cafe Vesuvio in Sanford with not one word said about our guns. Both are local owned businesses, which I prefer. Both places give you so much food we both are lucky if we can eat half. Lunch without tip was under 20 bucks, and dinner without tip was under 30 bucks.

I have always found buying local better when it comes to eating. We do not have a panny bread in Sanford though.

Last edited:

OC for ME

My DW has a FB page and I only peruse it to see who has assumed room temperature back in South Carolina.

Sad really, kinfolks will not call us after uncle/aunt/cousin such and such has passed but will post it on FB instead. When the unfortunate event occurs I send virtual flowers to the FB page instead of real ones...I shortly thereafter receive a great many phone calls...;).

It took to aunts, a uncle, and a few cousins and now I get phone calls straight away. See...you can teach new dogs old tricks.

TFred

There used to be two, one of which was run by a member, but now it appears the 2nd is gone and only the official looking one remains. Unfortunately what is being referred to here is not something that even the VCDL page shared, it's something someone else shared to the page. There is nothing to indicate that VCDL shared this.
Both are still there:

A Facebook "group," where any group member can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372500698/
An organization, where only the page owners can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/VCDL.ORG/

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both are still there:

A Facebook "group," where any group member can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372500698/
An organization, where only the page owners can post notes that are visible on the time line: https://www.facebook.com/VCDL.ORG/

TFred
Both are run and operated by user ED, a VCDL executive member. You will note on the 2nd one that the contact 800 phone number and ownership reference are Ed Levine's, not VCDL's.

This disclaimer is correct: ".......only the President speaks for VCDL and all the comments on the page are the opinions of the posters and not an official VCDL statement or position unless they are from the President."

I find it strange and personally embarrassing that I did not know of the 2nd site, but I do not do Facebook and unless I was asleep I do not recall this ever being approved by the BoD. You will note that the VCDL home page and links (http://vcdl.org/) do not reference/offer a Facebook connection.

What I think has happened is that through a desire to expand VCDL coverage, this has been allowed to exist with some oversight by other "administrators" whomever they may be.

I will look into this further.

Last edited:

TFred

Both are run and operated by user ED, a VCDL executive member. You will note on the 2nd one that the contact 800 phone number and ownership reference are Ed Levine's, not VCDL's.

This disclaimer is correct: ".......only the President speaks for VCDL and all the comments on the page are the opinions of the posters and not an official VCDL statement or position unless they are from the President."

I find it strange and personally embarrassing that I did not know of the 2nd site, but I do not do Facebook and unless I was asleep I do not recall this ever being approved by the BoD. You will note that the VCDL home page and links (http://vcdl.org/) do not reference/offer a Facebook connection.

What I think has happened is that through a desire to expand VCDL coverage, this has been allowed to exist with some oversight by other "administrators" whomever they may be.

I will look into this further.
For whatever it may be worth...

I monitor both pages regularly, and I find good value in both.

The group page is less formal, and allows for more member/visitor interaction, and as such, I would think most people understand there are few VCDL policy communications on that page.

The organization page is a little more formal, and while still allowing for feedback, this page does not allow just anyone to initiate the timeline posts, which effectively restricts the dialog somewhat to more what the page owner desires.

I would very much support keeping both as they are, or perhaps if the VCDL board is uncomfortable, adding a little oversight to the organization page.

The LAST thing you want to do is shutter either of them, which are both, at the very least, excellent communication channels to a certain segment that may not see others that are currently in use.

PVC does participate on occasion, so that tells me that he's OK with them! :)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have no problem with the latter being the unofficial, official VCDL site. Just think that needs to be made clear.

Yes I agree that the exposure to VCDL is good.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Actually there are 4 pages. In addition to these two, there is VCDL Eastern Shore and VCDL Southwestern VA.
VCDL Eastern Shore was approved by the President for us on the Shore to communicate with each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

scouser

Back towards the topic of businesses not wanting firearms ..

I stopped for lunch at River City Diner yesterday and was talking with Theresa. She said she has worked in restaurants that have allowed firearms and in ones that have not allowed them. She then said that the only ones that had been robbed were the ones that didn't allow customers to carry their firearms, and that she loves where she works because of all the people who carry in there make her feel safer.