• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Benton County Juvenile Court

Stretch

Went to support a friend today who's daughter was having a hearing at the juvenile court. I, for some reason, had a hunch this location did not have a lock box. I was correct. I had a pleasant conversation with the security contractor about it and while I returned to my vehicle to secure my firearm, the contractor collected information on whom to contact for that building.

I have begun dialog with the man whom was listed and will be following up once I receive a response, or lack of one.

I will update the thread as needed.

Stretch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Freedom1Man

We have a thread dedicated to court visits.

Also, make a fuss. I ended up with a 10k bail because a judge was rectally inflamed over the video I made pointing out that the court would not follow the law in regards to firearms.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Alpine

Went to support a friend today who's daughter was having a hearing at the juvenile court. I, for some reason, had a hunch this location did not have a lock box. I was correct. I had a pleasant conversation with the security contractor about it and while I returned to my vehicle to secure my firearm, the contractor collected information on whom to contact for that building.

I have begun dialog with the man whom was listed and will be following up once I receive a response, or lack of one.

I will update the thread as needed.

Stretch

They don't have to provide you a locked box.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

When I went to Federal Way Courthouse once I think they lost the key to their lockbox and a cop there just hung onto my pistol in his coat the whole time I was there.

Last edited:

Alpine

I had a pleasant conversation with the security contractor about it

Can't that security employee act as the designated "official?"

Failing that I suppose you could have pushed them to summon a sheriff's deputy to come hang out at the court house and babysit your pistol while you were inside.

Last edited:

Stretch

I didn't want Barney Fife handling my property. I wasn't going to make a scene and demand a deputy come hold my firearm for the duration of my stay, either.

I've made the first step by engaging the name given to me for that facility. I will be following up with him or his boss by next Friday.

If the responses are not with a solution in accordance to the RCW, then I will escalate appropriately.

Alpine

Their solution rather than purchase infrastructure may just be to calculate that they won't have to do it very often and after they read the RCW they may conclude its cheaper and easier to have "Barney Fife" or a deputy hold your sidearm, which is legal.

It would be nice if every place had a lockbox though. Thank you for furthering our rights.

Last edited:

Stretch

Update: I received the below quote via email. I will continue to stay in contact with the facilities manager or higher until a lawful resolution is reached. ~Stretch

"Thank you for the information and I will look into the matter."

Jeff Hayes

Update: I received the below quote via email. I will continue to stay in contact with the facilities manager or higher until a lawful resolution is reached. ~Stretch

Stay with it Stretch, good job.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Good job, keep on...

p.s. a proper lock box is far superior and less expensive than paying an official to keep and maintain a firearm....

Stretch

Update this morning, 23 February 2016.

"Hello Mr. ------

I did review the RCW and briefed our security personnel. We do have a lock box available at the front entrance. Your situation appears to have been the result of a misinformed security person. In the future it will be utilized as indicated in the RCW."

solus

excellent well played

an outcome you should be proud you facilitated...

ipse