• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lunch & Learn - Open Carry (Bandera, TX)

MP(Retired)

Posted in the Bandera County Courier (2016-02-110)
A representative from the City of Bandera Marshal's Office will speak on Texas new Open Carry Law during a Lunch and Learn, sponsored by the Bandera County Chamber of Commerce.
The luncheon and discussion will take place from 11:30 am to 1 pm, Thursday, Feb. 18, at the Bandera Electric Cooperative Community Room, off Highway 16 North.
Discussion will cover the effect of the new law on businesses and options available to business owners.
Fee is $10 and lunch will be provided. Those who plan to attend are asked to RSVP to the chamber by 5 pm, Tuesday, Feb. 16. Telephone is 830-796-3280.

This might be interesting. I might just attend to see what they say and to see the reaction of the Chamber members.
Who knows, I MIGHT just open carry...just to show them that not all of the people "pack'n heat" (I HATE THAT PHRASE) are psycho killers. :)
<MP>

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Options? Sounds like they want to "remind" all the business owners that all they need to do is put up a 30.07 sign...

The room needs to be "packed" with pro-carriers who will make sure that ALL options are presented FAIRLY, including the option to do nothing and just enjoy some freedom for a change.

There should be a reminder to the businesses that signage does NOT stop crime, and could encourage it.

Last edited:

qednick

I probably wouldn't be able to attend due to the bad timing but I will email Marshal Dietrich to find out the gist of this. Seems odd to me that they're doing this almost 2 months into the new law.

Added: I just shot off a lengthy email to him about this. Will be interesting to see his response (if any).

Last edited:

MP(Retired)

I probably wouldn't be able to attend due to the bad timing but I will email Marshal Dietrich to find out the gist of this. Seems odd to me that they're doing this almost 2 months into the new law.

Added: I just shot off a lengthy email to him about this. Will be interesting to see his response (if any).

qednick: Thanks for emailing Marshall Dietrich on this matter. I will ATTEMPT to make this meeting but not sure as the wife has an appointment in SA on Tues and not sure when we will be back. I really need to sit down with the Marshall and have a cup of coffee or ???
As a former Chief of Police in a small town, I know the insanity of politics that he faces. I know that having a LEO on our side would certainly be an asset to our cause, either CCW or Open-Carry.
<MP>

qednick

qednick: Thanks for emailing Marshall Dietrich on this matter. I will ATTEMPT to make this meeting but not sure as the wife has an appointment in SA on Tues and not sure when we will be back. I really need to sit down with the Marshall and have a cup of coffee or ???
As a former Chief of Police in a small town, I know the insanity of politics that he faces. I know that having a LEO on our side would certainly be an asset to our cause, either CCW or Open-Carry.
<MP>

He seems like a stand up guy. My main worry is that nothing good [for us] can come of this meeting. Either businesses continue to not post signs, or some post them. So we can only lose. In my email to him I told him that I wouldn't be able to make the meeting but I wanted to make sure it remained unbiased and not just some attempt to get businesses to post signs. I mentioned about the posting of signs being a no-win situation for businesses and, if they feel uncomfortable with someone carrying, to use the verbal option instead. I also mentioned about the 78003 zip code having 703 license holders yet probably only having a population of less than 2,000.
Additionally, I included links to the KHOU article regarding the convenience store that had posted 30.06 & 30.07 then got robbed a week later, plus the link to the recent incident in Bastrop where a CHL holder saved a deputy's life.

I have a feeling I may have been preaching to the choir...but didn't think it would hurt to solidify a few points which may or may not get mentioned at the meeting.