Thread: Public Utilities Commission "PUC" Las Vegas denied me entrance because I was ARMED

Public Utilities Commission "PUC" Las Vegas denied me entrance because I was ARMED

I went to the PUC meeting today Friday February 12, 2016 in Las Vegas and was told I could NOT ENTER because I was wearing a gun (open carried owb). They had private security, metro, metal detectors wands etc. I was told to go outside and read the sign on the door. I was told I could leave my gun in the car and reenter, but NO GUNS ALLOWED.

I don't know who owns the building. I think the PUC just leases the office space in a privately owned building.

I didn't see anyone else armed so I didn't push it any further, and left. I wish a few more would have showed up.

This was one of the signs posted on the doors I was told to read.

This was a huge event maybe 2000 people every news station, two Grayhound size buses, cars parked on both sides of Diablo form the 251 to Fort Apache.

I emailed LVMPD PIOs to get comment and details from them. I also sent a NORA request to the PUC for emails about open carry. We'll see how that shakes out.

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016...ommission.html

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016...pen-carry.html
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

Cant wait to hear what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    I emailed LVMPD PIOs to get comment and details from them. I also sent a NORA request to the PUC for emails about open carry. We'll see how that shakes out.

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016...ommission.html

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016...pen-carry.html
    garand_guy,
    Seeing as I was the person "asked" to leave because I had a firearm on.
    Would it help if I wrote a letter to the PUC asking what NRS was in use to refuse me entry?

I don't want you to do all the work and then I sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Tell me where I can help.

Jim

aka "GlenBaker.LLC"

The Inside Story of the PUC's Solar Protest Open Carry Ban

With emails and their official policy from my NORA request

Imagine if state agencies set the precedence that they can decide what laws apply to them and what rights they will honor?

Founder's Club Member
    Another angle to check is Nevada's open-records/Freedom of Information/Sunshine law.

Many such state laws require certain meetings of government agencies be open to the public. If there is no statutory authority to exclude you for arms, that is one thing. If they excluded you in violation of the open-records law, too, they compounded the illegality.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Baker View Post
    ...Tell me where I can help. ...
    You can:

A) get the city/county prosecutor (whichever is applicable) to acknowledge that the PUC's postings are not in compliance with NV law, or

B) get the city/county prosecutor (whichever is applicable) to direct the police to not enforce such non-compliant postings, or

C) find an attorney who is willing to file a violation of rights lawsuit against the PUC, then give the PUC notice of your intent to OC at a meeting/building, do so and be turned away, or

D) find an attorney who is willing to file a temporary restraining order against the PUC for their various illegal postings (at meetings and otherwise)

I certainly have nothing against them because they are essential tools, but in the matter at hand, records requests and blog articles aren't going to get the PUC's signage or policy changed.

Rogue governmental entities only respect (and some only to a degree), 1) prosecutor's directives or 2) court orders.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    C) find an attorney who is willing to file a violation of rights lawsuit against the PUC, then give the PUC notice of your intent to OC at a meeting/building, do so and be turned away, or

D) find an attorney who is willing to file a temporary restraining order against the PUC for their various illegal postings (at meetings and otherwise)
    All comes down to money. If I had the cash to pay for one, I'd do it, but being the annoying dude with a blog is all I can contribute right now.

Mac702 once asked, "Where the F--- are the attorneys?" Surely there must be at least one gun-loving attorney who would do this stuff pro-bono?

Maybe if I had more mainstream exposure, I could get more attention and perhaps someone would help out. I don't know.

NRS 197.130 - False report by public officer.

Every public officer who shall knowingly make any false or misleading statement in any official report or statement, under circumstances not otherwise prohibited by law, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. [1911 C&P § 84; RL § 6349; NCL § 10033]

NRS 197.200 - Oppression under color of office.

1. An officer, or a person pretending to be an officer, who unlawfully and maliciously, under pretense or color of official authority:
    (a) Arrests or detains a person against the person’s will;
    (b) Seizes or levies upon another’s property;
    (c) Dispossesses another of any lands or tenements; or
    (d) Does any act whereby the person, property or rights of another person are injured, commits oppression.

2. An officer or person committing oppression shall be punished:
    (a) Where physical force or the immediate threat of physical force is used, for a category D felony as provided in NRS 193.130.
    (b) Where no physical force or immediate threat of physical force is used, for a gross misdemeanor. [1911 C&P § 541; RL § 6806; NCL § 10487]—(NRS A 1967, 462; 1995, 1172)

NRS 197.220 - Other violations by officers.

Every public officer or other person who shall willfully disobey any provision of law regulating his or her official conduct in cases for which no other punishment is provided shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. [1911 C&P § 563; RL § 6828; NCL § 10508]
    Could any of these be lodged against the perps?

I advocate that every possible criminal charge be brought against every state employed minion who violates our rights.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare