Thread: firearm on WWU campus--forbidden ???

Banned

firearm on WWU campus--forbidden ???

It is in the news that a fellow was carrying at WWU and he was cited for carrying concealed without a permit, although the person who called police reported could see his firearm in his belt. If someone can see your firearm in the belt, then, it does not seem to be very concealed.

The news says "No one is allowed to carry a gun at Western except for police officers."

There is a group called campuscarry I think and there is also a washington state group agitating for change. I think I am part of their facebook page; or at least, I have posted to it.

z

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    If persons notice the handgun in your belt, how is it being called concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by zaitz View Post
    If persons notice the handgun in your belt, how is it being called concealed?
    If he wears a jacket that covers it, but he leaves it open when he sits down.

Notice he was cited for CC w/o a permit, not carrying on campus, and has been trespassed. Should tell you something about the laws and the rules.

Officers cited him, under state law, for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit on his person.
    Read the story, he has a CPL, he just didn't have it with him. So it was a citation.

However, do to the school being a government agency, the prohibition on campus carry would seem to violate the preemption law.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Read the story, he has a CPL, he just didn't have it with him. So it was a citation.

However, do to the school being a government agency, the prohibition on campus carry would seem to violate the preemption law.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Only Cities, Towns, Counties and Municipalities are preempted, WWU is the state.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

You mean the state constitution, right?

RCW based preemption is not the right argument in this case. WWU is an executive branch state agency. The state cannot preempt itself - that's a legal absurdity.

Constitutional preemption is the proper argument here.

Not legal the way I read WAC 516-52-020

Has anyone ever seen or read the below WAC ? In reading this WAC, it sounds to me like only duly appointed and commissioned law enforcement officers are allowed to carry on a college campus. Looks like not all gun laws are in RCW 9.41 as I thought they were.

WAC 516-52-020

Firearms and dangerous weapons.

(1) Only such persons who are authorized to carry firearms or other weapons as duly appointed and commissioned law enforcement officers in the state of Washington, commissioned by agencies of the United States government, or authorized by contract with the university, shall possess firearms or other weapons issued for their possession by their respective law enforcement agencies or employers while on the campus or other university-controlled property, including, but not limited to, residence halls. No one may possess explosives unless licensed to do so for purposes of conducting university-authorized activities relating to building construction or demolition.
    (2) Other than the law enforcement officers or other individuals referenced in subsection (1) of this section, members of the campus community and visitors who bring firearms or other weapons to campus must immediately place the firearms or weapons in the university-provided storage facility. The storage facility is located at the university public safety department and is accessible twenty-four hours per day.
    (3) If any member of the campus community or visitor wishes to bring a weapon to the campus for display or demonstration purposes directly related to a class, seminar, or other educational activity, permission for such possession may be applied for at the university public safety department, which shall review any such proposal and may establish the conditions of the possession on campus.
    Last edited by The Big Dog; 02-15-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
    Has anyone ever seen or read the below WAC ? In reading this WAC, it sounds to me like only duly appointed and commissioned law enforcement officers are allowed to carry on a college campus. Looks like not all gun laws are in RCW 9.41 as I thought they were.
    WACs only apply to state employees. They're basically the official handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Only Cities, Towns, Counties and Municipalities are preempted, WWU is the state.
    WWU is a state agency, yes. But they are not the state legislature, and lack the authority to make, modify or repeal laws.

WACs only apply to state employees. They're basically the official handbook.

False. Take
    296-54 WAC, SAFETY STANDARDS—LOGGING OPERATIONS, an example pulled at random.

It establishes safety standards for logging operations, that private employers must comply with.

There are plenty of other WACs that apply to private citizens as well.

Regulations of executive branch agencies are issued by authority of statutes. Like legislation and the Constitution, regulations are a source of primary law in Washington State. The WAC codifies the regulations and arranges them by subject or agency.

Of course they can't make rules in violation of the state constitution (the supreme preemption statute), but they will until challenged.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    I would agree its not preemption yet the state didn't make an exception to public universities in the law.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]

False. Take
    296-54 WAC, [B]SAFETY STANDARDS—LOGGING OPERATIONS, an example pulled at random.

It establishes safety standards for logging operations, that private employers must comply with.

There are plenty of other WACs that apply to private citizens as well.

Of course they can't make rules in violation of the state constitution (the supreme preemption statute), but they will until challenged.

Anyone know what the penalty for violating a WAC is? I'm looking, and all I see are monetary fines.

A few years ago (I think discussed here, as well), a non-student entered one of the UW libraries with a gun in his pants. He was arrested and removed from the library. Turns out it was a BB gun. And naturally, the media drops any follow-up to if the man was charged with a crime or not.

Anyone know what the penalty for violating a WAC is?
    All I've ever been able to find are civil penalties. Some can be quite large though, in monetary terms. They're rule violations - a civil infraction.