Thread: Open carry and firearm security and old age

Open carry and firearm security and old age

Yesterday while getting something to eat at fast food place. And by the way, I'm in my mid 60's myself. I can tell you when you get older you are not as strong or nimble as you used to be in your 30's.

Anyway this elderly couple comes in. (Really older, late 70's or 80's probably) The guy is using a walker, has an oxygen bottle and on his side is a 9 mil. The wife has to hold the door open for him. At the counter he wants to pay, digging into his wallet, everything falls out it, wife has to pick it up everything that fell out on floor. She tells him to find a seat sit down and she finishes ordering for them. He does a centipede shuffle about a 1/2 step at a time with his walker, that's after he is able to get walker turned around. Wife then joins him.

I try always to remember to thank people for open carry when I see them. But I'm struck by frail this guy is. A teenage kid could shake this guy like a rag doll and rip of this guy. To me he looks like a perfect target, if somebody wanted to rip him off.

As we're getting up to leave, I say "Thank you for open carrying" Wife looks up but he doesn't here me. She relays to him what I said. He looks at me and says, "everybody should". Then he starts telling me of his collections and politics etc.

I ask if he feels more vulnerable than he did 10 years ago? He tells me "Of course I do, you might find out if you're lucky enough, and he says that he no longer buys green banana's"

I ask if he might be concerned about someone stealing his pistol? He says "I'm not concerned. I only have to hold on."

I'm puzzled, "what do you mean you only have to "hold on". As I'm asking, his wife is opening her purse, she holds it up above the table to show me a better view. She looks at me while holding her purse open. She says "HI, meet buster, hubby's only got to hold on till buster goes to work".

She then smiles and closes her purse and puts it beside her. The guy says "that's one reason I married a spring chicken 40 years ago, I'm "holding on" to her also.

I thought it was great.

Don't forget misses on Valentines Day. You might be "holding on" some day.
    Last edited by pat; 02-14-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: readable

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Twenty posts in six years. If all your posts are in this vein, then so be it....

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Twenty posts in six years. If all your posts are in this vein, then so be it....
    I'm not quite sure what that means, but I thought it was an awesome post. I hope he post more encouraging encounters like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    I'm not quite sure what that means, but I thought it was an awesome post. I hope he post more encouraging encounters like this.
    It's clearly meant as a complement.

...apparently not.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Glad it was clarified. I initially took it as neither complementary or complimentary.

Enjoyed the story. Looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 02-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    I too was wondering where the OP was headed with that post.

Very well done! I enjoyed it and got a good laugh out of it! I will be showing this to my wife, as I married a bit of a younger lady myself

Pat, thank you.

Bill
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Liked the story and understand.

Found and trained my own YW - fantastic lady.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Don't ever mis-judge an old man using a walker. I spent a year using crutches and a walker after a motorcycle accident. I couldn't walk worth a darn but I could crush walnuts with my hands. My forearms grew so large I couldn't button the cuff's on long sleeve shirts.

Then again, maybe this old dude wanted some "spice in his life" and the frail and feeble was an act ?????? Want to take a chance? Not me.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"