• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and firearm security and old age

pat

Yesterday while getting something to eat at fast food place. And by the way, I'm in my mid 60's myself. I can tell you when you get older you are not as strong or nimble as you used to be in your 30's.

Anyway this elderly couple comes in. (Really older, late 70's or 80's probably) The guy is using a walker, has an oxygen bottle and on his side is a 9 mil. The wife has to hold the door open for him. At the counter he wants to pay, digging into his wallet, everything falls out it, wife has to pick it up everything that fell out on floor. She tells him to find a seat sit down and she finishes ordering for them. He does a centipede shuffle about a 1/2 step at a time with his walker, that's after he is able to get walker turned around. Wife then joins him.

I try always to remember to thank people for open carry when I see them. But I'm struck by frail this guy is. A teenage kid could shake this guy like a rag doll and rip of this guy. To me he looks like a perfect target, if somebody wanted to rip him off.

As we're getting up to leave, I say "Thank you for open carrying" Wife looks up but he doesn't here me. She relays to him what I said. He looks at me and says, "everybody should". Then he starts telling me of his collections and politics etc.

I ask if he feels more vulnerable than he did 10 years ago? He tells me "Of course I do, you might find out if you're lucky enough, and he says that he no longer buys green banana's"

I ask if he might be concerned about someone stealing his pistol? He says "I'm not concerned. I only have to hold on."

I'm puzzled, "what do you mean you only have to "hold on". As I'm asking, his wife is opening her purse, she holds it up above the table to show me a better view. She looks at me while holding her purse open. She says "HI, meet buster, hubby's only got to hold on till buster goes to work".

She then smiles and closes her purse and puts it beside her. The guy says "that's one reason I married a spring chicken 40 years ago, I'm "holding on" to her also.

I thought it was great.

Don't forget misses on Valentines Day. You might be "holding on" some day.

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I too was wondering where the OP was headed with that post.

Very well done! I enjoyed it and got a good laugh out of it! I will be showing this to my wife, as I married a bit of a younger lady myself ;)

Pat, thank you.

Bill

amlevin

Don't ever mis-judge an old man using a walker. I spent a year using crutches and a walker after a motorcycle accident. I couldn't walk worth a darn but I could crush walnuts with my hands. My forearms grew so large I couldn't button the cuff's on long sleeve shirts.

Then again, maybe this old dude wanted some "spice in his life" and the frail and feeble was an act ?????? Want to take a chance? Not me.