Thread: Orange County to enact new shooting ordinance

Orange County to enact new shooting ordinance

Tuesday, 16 February, the Orange county commissioners will hold an open meeting with shooting restrictions as one of the agenda items. The meeting is at 7pm at the Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Rd, Chapel Hill.

An excerpt: "The proposed amendments establish new regulations governing the discharge of firearms on private property...restricts the discharge of firearms to 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily, prohibits the discharge of firearms within designated distances of property lines and dwelling structures, requires discharge projectiles to remain on property upon which they are discharged, and requires most firearms discharges to be directed into a projectile-proof backstop."

If you have an interest and can attend, please do.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...ticle_53C.html

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...ticle_53B.html

Can they specifically regulate the discharge of firearms in the county? Which is not a town/municipality. This needs to be opposed most vigorously!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    In Ohio Townships cannot regulate firearms. They can regulate discharge of firearms in parks, that's it.

according to the jan mtg notes...the issue centers on '...resident concern(s) over the purported development of a commercial shooting range." and the county lacking any control over the issue!! then the 'staff' interjected 'what about residents shooting on their personal property' and the melee begins.

further i have not be able to cut and paste off the html document which is frustrating the living geeeee whiz out of me...

BC are you planning on attending?

PM please...sooner than later so i can gather material to discuss my attendance w/appropriate material

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Sounds like a 5A takings clause - you should sue County pooh-bahs for diminished property rights relative to next door county, before you run against them next election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

BC, you make it to the meeting?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    There may be some useful application of this statute:

§ 14-409.46. Sport shooting range protection.

(e) A sport shooting range that is operated and is not in violation of existing law at the time of the enactment of an ordinance and was in existence at least three years prior to the effective date of this Article, shall be permitted to continue in operation even if the operation of the sport shooting range at a later date does not conform to the new ordinance or an amendment to an existing ordinance, provided there has been no substantial change in use.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/House/PDF/H562v8.pdf

http://law.justia.com/codes/north-ca...ection14-40940

Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-17-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

researching the issue from Orange county documents on line, this is apparently a long time issue of folk who are 'playing' with their semi & auto firearms late at night and not a 'formal' commercial range currently in operation. the commissioner's staff discerned there was no county guidance on development and establishment of a new 'formal' firearms range operation so the topic was put up for discussion apparently haphazardly putting together strange concepts which had not been vetted against any type of standardization from 'normal' range operations for signage etc.

reading the citizens comments has been enlightening to say the least...

ipse

I did not attend (I am in western Cumberland county) but apparently there was a large crowd there. The measures were voted down 7-0 (before this meeting the board was 5-2 in favor).

Shows that standing up in numbers will have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    I did not attend (I am in western Cumberland county) but apparently there was a large crowd there. The measures were voted down 7-0 (before this meeting the board was 5-2 in favor).

Shows that standing up in numbers will have an effect.
    the email link got hit also...

ipse