• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orange County to enact new shooting ordinance

bc.cruiser

Tuesday, 16 February, the Orange county commissioners will hold an open meeting with shooting restrictions as one of the agenda items. The meeting is at 7pm at the Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Rd, Chapel Hill.

An excerpt: "The proposed amendments establish new regulations governing the discharge of firearms on private property...restricts the discharge of firearms to 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily, prohibits the discharge of firearms within designated distances of property lines and dwelling structures, requires discharge projectiles to remain on property upon which they are discharged, and requires most firearms discharges to be directed into a projectile-proof backstop."

If you have an interest and can attend, please do.

solus

according to the jan mtg notes...the issue centers on '...resident concern(s) over the purported development of a commercial shooting range." and the county lacking any control over the issue!! then the 'staff' interjected 'what about residents shooting on their personal property' and the melee begins.

further i have not be able to cut and paste off the html document which is frustrating the living geeeee whiz out of me...

BC are you planning on attending?

PM please...sooner than later so i can gather material to discuss my attendance w/appropriate material

ipse

HPmatt

Sounds like a 5A takings clause - you should sue County pooh-bahs for diminished property rights relative to next door county, before you run against them next election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There may be some useful application of this statute:

§ 14-409.46. Sport shooting range protection.

(e) A sport shooting range that is operated and is not in violation of existing law at the time of the enactment of an ordinance [strike]and was in existence at least three years prior to the effective date of this Article,[/strike] shall be permitted to continue in operation even if the operation of the sport shooting range at a later date does not conform to the new ordinance or an amendment to an existing ordinance, provided there has been no substantial change in use.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/House/PDF/H562v8.pdf

http://law.justia.com/codes/north-carolina/2011/chapter14/article53b/section14-40940

Last edited:

solus

researching the issue from Orange county documents on line, this is apparently a long time issue of folk who are 'playing' with their semi & auto firearms late at night and not a 'formal' commercial range currently in operation. the commissioner's staff discerned there was no county guidance on development and establishment of a new 'formal' firearms range operation so the topic was put up for discussion apparently haphazardly putting together strange concepts which had not been vetted against any type of standardization from 'normal' range operations for signage etc.

reading the citizens comments has been enlightening to say the least...

ipse

bc.cruiser

I did not attend (I am in western Cumberland county) but apparently there was a large crowd there. The measures were voted down 7-0 (before this meeting the board was 5-2 in favor).

Shows that standing up in numbers will have an effect.

solus

I did not attend (I am in western Cumberland county) but apparently there was a large crowd there. The measures were voted down 7-0 (before this meeting the board was 5-2 in favor).

Shows that standing up in numbers will have an effect.

the email link got hit also...

ipse