• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

unpaid student loan + owning a gun = SWAT TEAM?

Shovelhead

Nobody forced these 'special snowflakes' to accept the $$$$ for their education.
Guess who gets to pay off all those Government-Issued unpaid student loans?

WE do.

Tactics Excessive? ...maybe
(Got to have something for the paramilitary PoPo to do in order to justify another surplus Armored Personnel Carrier.
Effective? YES!

Last edited:

Shovelhead

In the instant case? I doubt it.

Would he have paid back the money he owed if this incident never happened?
I doubt it.
Will he come up with the $1,500.00 before March 1.
Probably.

Will others that still have unpaid student loans hear about this?
Yup.
Will they suddenly think "I need to think about making another payment?"
Most likely.

Last edited:

notalawyer

For some reason, I doubt the accuracy of this 'report'. :uhoh:

Imagine that...my BS detector works fairly well:

Back in November 2007, Aker was sued by the federal government for nonpayment of more than $2,600 in unpaid federal student loan debt, according to documents from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas (embedded below). The court record shows that Aker, listed as Winford P. Aker in the complaint, did not appear in court to answer the lawsuit and, as is common when student loan borrowers fail to appear, the presiding judge ruled against him and ordered Aker to pay the full balance on April 17, 2007.

According to a statement from the U.S. Marshals Service, Aker repeatedly refused to show up in court after being contacted several times. Disobeying a court order is a criminal offense. Within a few months, the judge issued a warrant for his arrest, which the U.S. Marshals carried out. So, yes, Aker was arrested, but not just because he owed a little student loan debt. He was arrested for disobeying a court order.

The Marshals statement goes on to describe the arrest, saying Aker "resisted arrest and retreated back into his home" when agents arrived:

The situation escalated when Aker verbally said to the deputies that he had a gun. After Aker made the statement that he was armed, in order to protect everyone involved, the deputies requested additional law enforcement assistance. Additional deputy marshals and local law enforcement officers responded to the scene. After approximately two hours, the law enforcement officers convinced Aker to peacefully exit his home, and he was arrested.​

In the end, Aker went to court and was released. As far as we know, he did not spend any time in jail. Aker claims he was never notified about the order and that could very well be true. His address listed on the complaint is different than the only listing for a "Winford P. Aker" Yahoo Finance found in the Houston area. His court summons may have been sent to an old address (efforts to reach Aker were unsuccessful). However, the U.S. Marshals Service maintains they made every effort to track him down, "including searching at numerous known addresses."

It’s not clear why it took the Marshals more than three years to track him down, but the fact is he was arrested for failure to appear in court — not for his unpaid debt alone.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/paul-aker-us-marshal-student-loan-debt-arrest-212047386.html

Last edited:

solus

thanks, i did a 'quickie' search but couldn't locate anything of substance...glad you were able to discern the true story...

ipse

OC for ME

The Marshals statement goes on to describe the arrest, saying Aker "resisted arrest and retreated back into his home" when agents arrived:
Got video of this bucko! Effing liars unless there is video corroboration. The simple word of some feds is not credible in any manner what so ever.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
On the plus side, we aren't discussing "failed" gas canisters that burned him to death in his home in an attempt to smoke him out.

Ezek

I thought federal student loan debt was suppose to be forgiven after 10 years...???

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Lemme make sure I unnerstand this.

A guy who owes $1,500 gets heavy threats of force, but the US fedgov can drive the "national debt" to Jupiter, beyond any hope of ever being paid off and none of them get so much as an official accusation?

Freedom1Man

Lemme make sure I unnerstand this.

A guy who owes $1,500 gets heavy threats of force, but the US fedgov can drive the "national debt" to Jupiter, beyond any hope of ever being paid off and none of them get so much as an official accusation?
What debt? What, constitutional, money was borrowed? To whom would said debt be owed?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk